A Metrics Breakdown of Patterson, Allen, Hopkins and Bailey | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Metrics Breakdown of Patterson, Allen, Hopkins and Bailey

He seemed to do fine against LSU- He caught a 4th and 16 while being covered by Eric Reid who many project as a first round pick. I'll wait for the combine to see his measurables, but his athleticism seems fine to me, although that is not easy to measure and a bit subjective. If you are using his YAC on screens to gauge this, I think that is a bit simplistic. How many screens did he receive? How much did they practice the screen, how good did they mask it, and how good were his blockers? I don't think WR screens played a big roll in the Clemson offense, unlike at Cal.

You're forgetting that before NU_Gap even posted the screen averages, I had already stated that I didn't think Hopkins was a physically compelling player with the ball in his hands and I bet that his lack of screens was due to the fact that he's not very effective with it. The data bore out that hypothesis. But you're putting the cart before the horse if you think I'm suddenly deciding Hopkins doesn't have a varied skill set because of a screen average number.

You're forgetting that before NU_Gap even posted the screen averages, I had already stated that I didn't think Hopkins was a physically compelling player with the ball in his hands and I bet that his lack of screens was due to the fact that he's not very effective with it. The data bore out that hypothesis. But you're putting the cart before the horse if you think I'm suddenly deciding Hopkins doesn't have a varied skill set because of a screen average number.

OK, I'll bite again... 1st off I'm not sure the "data bore out" your hypothesis. Some of these reasons I feel this way are outlined in my post above. I am a Clemson graduate and have watched pretty much all of Hopkins' play for 3 years. I'll admit I may be biased, but please understand I don't beat the drum for every Clemson player. Hopkins was different from the first game of his Freshman year and it was easy to see that sitting in the stands. I do not remember seeing Hopkins on screens, that is why I asked earlier for the number of attempts. You can say they didn't run Hopkins because of lack of efficacy, but there may be more to it than that as I noted above. It just isn't a play that Clemson ran often, at least not since Chad Morris took over the offense.

As far as me putting the cart before the horse on assuming that was the basis for your thoughts, I did say "if", and I also gave you the opportunity to elaborate on your misgivings on Hopkins, but you declined. You are usually very thorough with analysis, I would love to know what your basis is here. I have said that I was willing to wait for the measurables on Hopkins to pass final judgement on Hopkins vis a vis draft position, obviously at 4.7 he is not a 1st or 2nd round pick. My take on Hopkins is that regardless of the measurables he will NOT be a bust, at a position with high bust potential this is a great thing. At worst he will be a Bess type slot receiver because he has rare hands (he pretty much snags everything thrown his way) and great quickness. I do not think he will take the top off the D, that is why I would want to pair him with Wallace. I feel, assuming he runs a 4.5, he will be a much better #2 than Hartline. The kid catches touchdowns, unlike Bess or Hartline. Look at his TD catch on Eric Reid in the LSU game, or the 4th and 16 catch against the same player. This is a kid many believe is the best Safety in college football. His numbers this year were actually deflated as Clemson put in the 2nd string at halftime in several games this year.

My dream for the Dolphins next year is Wallace, Hopkins, Bess, and Findley.

I'm not big on the idea of signing Wallace. I'll admit that I'd feel a little relieved if we did - know that we did SOMETHING to address the WR position. I think he would have a positive effect on the offense, but I think there are other, better, cheaper ways to add that type of player. Markus Wheaton would be my first choice (not to be mistaken by my preferred pick at 12). I still think there's a good shot he's there at 42 - because of the cluster**** of really good WR prospects in the draft. Unpopular opinion around here, but I prefer Wheaton to Bailey. That's not at all a knock on Bailey. I'd be thrilled to draft Bailey anytime after the first round - even if Wheaton is still on the board. Anyway, Wheaton is very fast, quick, goes up and fights for the ball, has improved his strength, and I think his route-running has steadily improved, and I think he cares a lot about it. He's not a guy that's like, 'Bitch, I smoked De'Anthony Thomas. I don't need to work on nothin'.' He works on getting bigger and stronger; he works on routes; when you hear him speak, he comes off as very humble and self-aware. In a dead sprint, I don't think he's quite as fast as Wallace, but I think he's probably faster than D. Jackson. In fact, as a physical specimen, I see him somewhere between the two. Not as big (speaking of bulk; he's about the same height) as big or fast as Wallace, but he's quicker; not as quick as Jackson, but he's bigger and faster.

But I'm with you on Hopkins. He plays bigger than he is, maybe the best in the draft at high-pointing the ball, runes good routes, doesn't waste his movements, and - above all - he plays with exceptional balance. He and Hartline are polar opposites in this regard. Hartline is always tripping all over himself. Hopkins looks like he's operating on solid ground while in situations where other look like their waste deep in water. And I don't think he's slow. With this crop of WR's, though, I find it difficult to create a situation where I draft him. If he falls to 54, that's where I start to think hard about him, but I don't think he will fall that far, and even if he does, some other guys, who will probably be there, would have to be off the board.

Back
Top Bottom