A Philip Rivers Story | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Philip Rivers Story

ciscopack

Practice Squad
Reaction score
(told by a UNC fan and posted on a NC State board, the Wolfpacker) copy & paste

One of my friend’s wives was in Raleigh last weekend (I think is
what she said) and went to this sports bar with her friends to
have a few drinks and eat. She said there was one guy in the place that kept running his mouth to her, talking junk, and just
being rude. She said this tall, young guy stood up and told the
guy to shut up and watch his mouth. Said this young guys wife
( she noticed the wedding bands like she normally does) told him to sit down and be quiet. The guy who was
running his mouth said “What the @#$@# are you going to do about it�

She said again, the young guy got up, said he was tall as hell,
walked over to him and said “There is no reason to be talking
trash to the woman when she doesn’t want to hear it, shut up or you WILL have a problem with me",

She said she heard the guys wife say “Philip, calm downâ€Â.

The ******* told the young guy “You can go @#$#%#$ yourself,
your old lady and this bitch for all I careâ€Â

My buddy’s wife said the next thing she knew was seeing blood hit the wall beside her, looked over, the guy was on the floor out
cold and the young man looked at her and said “I am sorry ma’am, I normally don’t get
this way, but you remind me of my momma and nobody talks like to a woman like you".

Said he went, sat down. Said after everyone clamed down she
was leaving and went over to thank him again and said “Thank you, I didn’t get your name".

Said the he smiled, blushed, and said “Sorry Ma’am, my name is Philip Rivers".

She said “As in the NC State quarterback?â€Â

He said “Yes ma’am, sorry you had to see that, just the ay I was
raisedâ€Â

She said he gave her an autograph, but would forever be a fan.

I have a lot of respect for Philip for standing up for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would have a lot more respect for him if he can get his longball on track. then miami could draft with no worries..

Love a good azz-kicking in the name of honor. :woot:

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
i would have a lot more respect for him if he can get his longball on track. then miami could draft with no worries..

Not me...I'll take the young citizen warrior any day. That's a thing called character, one of the fundamental building blocks to leadership. This man has the "mettle" to accomplish anything puts his mind to.

Watch some NC State games and you will see that he doesn't have a problem with the deep ball.

You don't throw for more than 13,000 yards in four years without hitting some downfield passes.

The thing that stands out the most about Rivers, to me, is the fact that he elevates the level of his teammates play. NC State was a midling program until Rivers. In his four years, NC State went to four bowl games and garnerd a 3-1 record in those games.

I have no idea if this is a true story but I suspect it is, because this UNC fan posts on the NCSU board all the time. He's from Wisconsin and has only been a UNC fan for about 7 years (while in NC). I think if he had it to do all over again, he'd become a NC State fan?

Originally posted by KBISBACK
Watch some NC State games and you will see that he doesn't have a problem with the deep ball.

You don't throw for more than 13,000 yards in four years without hitting some downfield passes.

The thing that stands out the most about Rivers, to me, is the fact that he elevates the level of his teammates play. NC State was a midling program until Rivers. In his four years, NC State went to four bowl games and garnerd a 3-1 record in those games.

I've seen 3 games, and i never saw a problem with his long ball. FYI he is been very bad at hitting them in the senior bowl practice.

Well....as it was before reading this post, I liked the kid. And if this is true (which none of us can be totally sure of) this only makes me like his character even more. I've always liked the way he carries himself and the presence he shows. I'd have paid to been in that bar! That's good stuff ;)

We'll see in the not too distant future what the Dolphins Organization thinks of him. I hope they take him, but only if its for the right reasons.

From Colin Lindsey's Website:

No player has scouts talking more than North Carolina State QB Phil Rivers who had a solid week of practice; Rivers, though, has that odd delivery which has scouts scratching their heads; what I see, however, is a player who appears to be very coachable, is very accurate and has a nice quick, compact, albeit unorthodox, delivery; plus, it may very well be that the 3/4 arm delivery actually helps Rivers get rid of the ball so quickly, particular when working out of a 5-step drop...

From what I've read, Cody Pickett is the guy that struggled the most with the deep ball because his throws were sailing and he has a long, slow throwing motion.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
From Colin Lindsey's Website:

No player has scouts talking more than North Carolina State QB Phil Rivers who had a solid week of practice; Rivers, though, has that odd delivery which has scouts scratching their heads; what I see, however, is a player who appears to be very coachable, is very accurate and has a nice quick, compact, albeit unorthodox, delivery; plus, it may very well be that the 3/4 arm delivery actually helps Rivers get rid of the ball so quickly, particular when working out of a 5-step drop...

From what I've read, Cody Pickett is the guy that struggled the most with the deep ball because his throws were sailing and he has a long, slow throwing motion.

OK, well Big O says he has, and he has no reason to lie. i'm sure Pickett is doing the worst, but it has nothin to do with PR.

Attack the post not the poster

clear.gif

Rather interesting that a highly hyped QB gets in a bar fight and it doesn't make the news....

I suppose this is supposed to have happend a while back, but even then Rivers is well known. Just seems a little fishy that this one didn't end up drawing any media interest.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

I've seen 3 games, and i never saw a problem with his long ball. FYI he is been very bad at hitting them in the senior bowl practice.

Nobody said he's been 'very" bad at hitting them in senior bowl practice. The worst I've heard is that "the father he throws, the more of an adventure it becomes". Now consider he's out of his element, in front of pro-scouts, and is playing with WR's he's never played with before, and you can see where problems would arise. Either way, "more adventurous" does not mean "very" bad.

Also consider that Marino was extremely impressed with his arm, he has been the most consistent QB at the pracrices, and is near perfect up to 20 yards from the line, and you'll see a lot to get excited about.

Does he look at good as Manning or Big Ben would? No, but he's not a top 10 prospect either. He's a first round prospect, and making a damn good showing as one. Everyone has been very impressed wtih him. I have a feeling that the Dolphins organization is leaning on The Big O, and other Dolphin resources to put a clamp on the RIvers talk. We don't want the whole world knoing we like the guy. ANd we obviously do considering we spent 40 minutes in an interview with him, and only 20 with Losman. Also think that Big O sang praises of the utmost for him for 3 straight days, then on the 4th day had a "change of heart" and decided Losman might be the better pick, offering no proof of anything that changed his mind. Seems kind of fishy to me.

Back
Top Bottom