A question for our attorneys | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A question for our attorneys

Originally posted by Miamian
That's all true, but part of the chess game is to be aggressive. Strategizing too passively can be just as costly.
i lke your passion, miamian...but if this is the case, then why would ever go for one? why even carry a PK on the roster? i know, i'm being very sarcastic, but i'm just trying to make a point

No offense taken. I doubt that I've gone half a day for the past ten years without sarcasm, lol.

I wish that the chart that SW found woud be available. The point I was making was that kicking the PAT put us up by 13 which is a dangerous lead, and 2 points would have given us 14. I remember feeling this same way up 13-7 at halftime many years ago (we were still in the Orange Bowl) against Seattle in the playoffs and then losing the game. I don't remember if it was a missed PAT or a TD and two FGs but I do remember that the point differential cost us the game. Like I said earlier, it's all chess and sometimes you gamble. Yes it can backfire, but temerity can fatal.

It's the same thing as going for the touchdown when we already scored the field goal. One of the mantras has always been "never take points off the scoreboard," but we risked that. If we're going to risk three points, then I don't see the logic in not risking one.

Okay, here I have to disagree, cause when we had that fieldgoal, the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty gave us 15 yards and an automatic first down. If they tell you take 3 points, or have a chance at 7 with 4 fresh downs, even if you don't get it you can kick again, you'd take it. Bad example.

Originally posted by MarinoFan

Okay, here I have to disagree, cause when we had that fieldgoal, the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty gave us 15 yards and an automatic first down. If they tell you take 3 points, or have a chance at 7 with 4 fresh downs, even if you don't get it you can kick again, you'd take it. Bad example.
that is true for any coach, the only time you think about the declining the penalty is when it gives something like 4th and 1 instead of 4th and 6 or there is not enough time in the game or half to score a TD.

One of the assumptions you guys are making is that the field goal is automatic. Olindo had already missed one and is in a funk, so there would be a definite risk to taking it off the scoreboard.

Sorry about that Miamian...

No offense taken. I doubt that I've gone half a day for the past ten years without sarcasm, lol.

I wish that the chart that SW found woud be available. The point I was making was that kicking the PAT put us up by 13 which is a dangerous lead, and 2 points would have given us 14. I remember feeling this same way up 13-7 at halftime many years ago (we were still in the Orange Bowl) against Seattle in the playoffs and then losing the game. I don't remember if it was a missed PAT or a TD and two FGs but I do remember that the point differential cost us the game. Like I said earlier, it's all chess and sometimes you gamble. Yes it can backfire, but temerity can fatal.

Where are my manners... Here is the link to "Toby's football links" web site...

http://members.aol.com/tbran1996/private/links.htm

Look down at the bottom, right hand corner and you should find it there.

:) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom