A serious look at who we draft at #16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A serious look at who we draft at #16

Todd347347

Practice Squad
Reaction score
First I want to talk strategy then I will talk about who specifically I would take and why. When it comes to the draft people talk about need vs Best Player Available. Almost all the time I favor BPA, unless you have a young, high salary/profile player, then I would try to avoid selecting someone at that position. IMO, Ronnie Brown is the only player on the team that qualifies, so I wouldn't draft a running back at #16. ALL other positions are open for selection. Now say there are two guys on the board that you believe are equal value, then select one of those two players based on need.

Another part of the equation is the coaching/gm philosophy on evaluating talent. Saban has made it pretty clear he likes BIG, SMART, ATHLETIC players. Taking this into account these are the canidates that I think Saban would choose if available at #16, and if none are available then attempt to trade down.

1. Mario Williams DE - He has the size and athletism saban loves. Unfortunately there is no way he is available at #16

2. Vernon Davis TE - Another tremendous athlete with size and speed. There is no way we can pass up on this guy if the guy is available.

3. Winston Justice OT - He is supposedly the most athletic LT in the draft, which is exactly what Saban is looking for in that position. I read he was suspended for a year but worked his tail off during that time and is in great shape. If we go OT this is the pick.

4. Manny Lawson DE/OLB - Another guy with size, speed, and athletism, would mostly be an OLB in our sheme. But its hard to pass on this kind of talent. I beleive this is most likely our pick.

5. Jimmy Williams CB/S - Another guy with great size for his position. If the first 4 guys are gone I think saban takes williams. Its a strong need for the team, but Jimmy Williams would be my last choice before I try to trade down.

Here are some guys people have mentioned:
Chad Greenway - a possibility, I just don't know to be honest, did he have a slow 40?

Chad Jackson - another possibility - he meets sabans criteria with size and speed but at 16 seems like a reach. if we traded down he would be a good possibility.

Tye Hill - no way... too small

Michael Huff - possible, but a safety at #16? seems unlikely even if its a big need for us.

Demeco Ryans no way... too small

So there it is, I highly doubt we would even consider trading up.

Safeties have been taken alot higher than 16. He's the best DB in the draft period, top 10 pick.

A couple of things. Mario Williams and Vernon Davis SHOULD realistically both be gone by the time we pick, as will Michael Huff. If I remember correctly, Chad Greenway ran around a 4.7 in the 40. Chad Jackson in my opinion wouldn't be a reach at our pick at all. He showed up at the combine and completely blew scouts away. I don't understand your Huff comment. You said about him being a safety, and that a safety shouldn't be drafted at #16? That's what I don't get, Huff is a VERY good prospect who ran a 4.36 40 time. He has amazing intangibles and will not even be there when we pick.

I think Jackson will be gone by our pick, especially if Holmes doesn't have a good pro day.

Lawson i think could be the pick.

Tye Hill would be a great pick..a 5'10 he is fine.. plus his incredible speed more than makes up for this.

Huff will be gone..but would take this playmaker anytime.

WR i think could be addressed in later rounds..

Veron Davis is a machine and will be gone in the top 8 easy. he was tore it up at the combine..

Saban2005 said:
First I want to talk strategy then I will talk about who specifically I would take and why. When it comes to the draft people talk about need vs Best Player Available. Almost all the time I favor BPA, unless you have a young, high salary/profile player, then I would try to avoid selecting someone at that position. IMO, Ronnie Brown is the only player on the team that qualifies, so I wouldn't draft a running back at #16. ALL other positions are open for selection. Now say there are two guys on the board that you believe are equal value, then select one of those two players based on need.

Another part of the equation is the coaching/gm philosophy on evaluating talent. Saban has made it pretty clear he likes BIG, SMART, ATHLETIC players. Taking this into account these are the canidates that I think Saban would choose if available at #16, and if none are available then attempt to trade down.

1. Mario Williams DE - He has the size and athletism saban loves. Unfortunately there is no way he is available at #16

2. Vernon Davis TE - Another tremendous athlete with size and speed. There is no way we can pass up on this guy if the guy is available.

3. Winston Justice OT - He is supposedly the most athletic LT in the draft, which is exactly what Saban is looking for in that position. I read he was suspended for a year but worked his tail off during that time and is in great shape. If we go OT this is the pick.

4. Manny Lawson DE/OLB - Another guy with size, speed, and athletism, would mostly be an OLB in our sheme. But its hard to pass on this kind of talent. I beleive this is most likely our pick.

5. Jimmy Williams CB/S - Another guy with great size for his position. If the first 4 guys are gone I think saban takes williams. Its a strong need for the team, but Jimmy Williams would be my last choice before I try to trade down.

Chad Greenway - a possibility, I just don't know to be honest, did he have a slow 40?

Chad Jackson - another possibility - he meets sabans criteria with size and speed but at 16 seems like a reach. if we traded down he would be a good possibility.

Michael Huff - possible, but a safety at #16? seems unlikely even if its a big need for us.

Greenway had a terrible 40 and weight lift

Eric-Honduras said:
Lawson i think could be the pick.

Tye Hill would be a great pick..a 5'10 he is fine.. plus his incredible speed more than makes up for this.

Huff will be gone..but would take this playmaker anytime.

WR i think could be addressed in later rounds..

Veron Davis is a machine and will be gone in the top 8 easy. he was tore it up at the combine..

Lawson vaulted himself above the 16 if he is there it would be a steal

lawson, carpenter or simpson

huff/williams (both of them) will be gone

we dont need a WR or Right Tackle

Im so glad you guys aren't running our draft...

We will be focusing on QB and CB with high picks...

PhinSoldia said:
Greenway had a terrible 40 and weight lift

yes he did... now could we please put the greenway clamor to bed once and for all? my god...

ronrevog said:
Im so glad you guys aren't running our draft...

We will be focusing on QB and CB with high picks...

And you know this how?

Bunkley or Jean-Gilles. Saban is not going to overpay for skill that needs one or two years to develop.

Saban2005 said:

You can't seriously be suggesting that these guys will be there at 16??

Williams is a top 5 pick and Davis won't get past the Rams at #11 after his performance at the combine.

Realistically, we have to be looking at Lawson, Bunkley or Greenway at #16.

Saban2005 said:
Troy Polamalu was drafted #16 by Pittsburgh in 2003 and Huff is taller and faster.

Back
Top Bottom