A surprise pick at #19 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A surprise pick at #19

I understand that, but I don't think people appreciate the skill set we're talking about with this player. We're talking about a guy who has a really good chance of being the top player at either 4-3 WLB or 3-4 WILB, and if needed, I think he can also play and excel at MIKE. The WLB in our D is a very productive position - guys are in position to make a lot of plays. In the same scheme (more or less) in Cincinnati, Vontaze Burfict led the NFL in tackling; he also had 3 sacks, a FF, and an INT. Wheeler was easy to spot as terrible (very early), because he was in position to make so many plays. You put a headhunter like Ryan Shazier in that spot, it changes our D. Mosley is fine, but I'd rather keep Ellerbe at MLB - MLB seems to be a much less productive position in this D. And Ryan Shazier is a much better prospect than Mosley, imo. Faster, stronger, more explosive, productive, and dynamic by just about any measure.

I agree with most of this, but Shazier isn't a top-10 or 15 pick point blank.

Houston is taking Clowney/Bortles, Rams with Robinson, Jags either Manziel or Bridgewater, Browns-Watkins, Raiders probably Matthews to play RT, Falcons may trade up and pick Clowney, TB is taking Evans, Minnesota wants a QB but need more of a traditional MLB (Mosley), Buffalo would be perfect for Ebron unfortunately or Mack, Detroits secondary is horrid either HaHa or Gilbert, Titans lost Verner and will be looking for his replacement(Dennard/Gilbert) or Barr, Giants O-Line is horrid also Lewan, Rams could go anywhere but they're set at LB, Bears are taking Donald, Steelers are taking Dennard, Cowboy would be perfect for Barr, Ravens either HaHa/Pryor or Martin, Jets are going Ebron if he falls or Lee/Beckham Jr, and Shazier should fall to us.

Houston is taking Clowney/Bortles, Rams with Robinson, Jags either Manziel or Bridgewater, Browns-Watkins, Raiders probably Matthews to play RT, Falcons may trade up and pick Clowney, TB is taking Evans, Minnesota wants a QB but need more of a traditional MLB (Mosley), Buffalo would be perfect for Ebron unfortunately or Mack, Detroits secondary is horrid either HaHa or Gilbert, Titans lost Verner and will be looking for his replacement(Dennard/Gilbert) or Barr, Giants O-Line is horrid also Lewan, Rams could go anywhere but they're set at LB, Bears are taking Donald, Steelers are taking Dennard, Cowboy would be perfect for Barr, Ravens either HaHa/Pryor or Martin, Jets are going Ebron if he falls or Lee/Beckham Jr, and Shazier should fall to us.

Great post. I bet there will be a few trades happening before 19th pick. But how about Zack Martin? He should probably be available as well.

no thanks. He may be a great DL, but thats not what we need. If we went D with our 1st pick, its gotta be Moseley at ILB. Maybe a CB that drops (Dennard...) but not DL.

After two major FA signings at DT, I do not see the pick being on the DL.

I think the "surprise" could be the pick being a LB and not a RT or OG.

If Ebron is there, that obviously that could be the pick.

Not a surprise to me. I concluded a couple months ago that ILB or OLB would be our likely impact player at #19. Our LB's were dismal in 2013. With the Bills and Jets running all over our defense, that must be shored up. We have a very good dline rotation and secondary. The LB's are our weakness on defense. Also, those contracts of Wheeler and Ellerbee are not sustainable. They will be cut next year.
There is a chance that we take Ebron if he falls to 19, but i think it is most likely that we pick Mosely or Shazier.
Mosely/ Shazier in the 1st, and Borland in either round 2-3 would set up this defense for 5 years.
I am not overly concerned about the oline at this point. We will take a Rt in the 3rd, and bring in some more vets.

I don't see how the Cowboys would be perfect for Barr - given that he's best suited as a 3-4 OLB. I think TB would prefer a WR with a more complimentary skill set to Jackson. Very similar players. The bigger issue is that these are your fits based on a bunch of mocks/big boards. And that's fine, but the draft never completely plays to expectations. Shazier at 8 would be much less of a surprise than Bruce Irvin at 15. Shazier is also better than almost every one of the players you listed going before him.

I don't see how the Cowboys would be perfect for Barr - given that he's best suited as a 3-4 OLB. I think TB would prefer a WR with a more complimentary skill set to Jackson. Very similar players. The bigger issue is that these are your fits based on a bunch of mocks/big boards. And that's fine, but the draft never completely plays to expectations. Shazier at 8 would be much less of a surprise than Bruce Irvin at 15. Shazier is also better than almost every one of the players you listed going before him.

I'm going off of the teams' needs, not mocks/big boards. The Cowboys could use Barr like the Broncos use Von Miller. I had Watkins to the Bucs initially but was thinking of my ideal draft where the Browns pass on a QB then trade up with us, thus Evans to TB. I agree that the draft never plays to expectations, I just think the teams you have interested in Shazier will have their minds somewhere else. Considering Seattle needed a pass rusher, traded back to get one, and Irvin tore up college football/combine it would shock me. Then again it could be me being oblivious to other team's scouting team and hoping they don't like Shazier so he can fall to us :idk:

If j-off-her-doll has such a conviction on Shazier I'm willing to go along with it. The top draft guys on this site have a very good track record over the years when they detour from conventional wisdom, particularly on the high end.

During Winter Olympic years I'm admittedly never as versed on as many guys as typical. For one thing, I pay zero attention to the combine.

BTW, if you are like me and prefer to have a printed guide as a handy tote reference point as opposed to relying solely on the internet, the guys at Ourlads still put out a comprehensive guide and newsletters. I've subscribed to them previously, although recently I always used Pro Football Weekly. Now that PFW is out of business and Kiper no longer publishes his blue book, Ourlads is the best option, as far as I know. The guide should be available any time now. I think it was 32 bucks for the guide and April newsletter.

Back
Top Bottom