A Tid-Bit From PFW | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Tid-Bit From PFW

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
They really seem to be pretty high on the signing of Sammy Knight for the 'Fins. The following line really sums up the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I think of the Dolphins' secondary:

Knight is a ballhawking safety much like fellow starter Brock Marion, and the presence of him and Marion should strike fear into the hearts of the most pass-happy offenses in the league.

There is absolutely zero reason as to why this should not be the best secondary in the entire NFL. Heck, this may turn out to be one of the best defensive secondaries of all time if they can all play the way they usually- not should, but usually- do!! Nice!
:up:

I know, it seems like everyone has their own gut feeling about things, I'm gonna have to go w/ Sammy Knight as my great gut feeling.
Steal Sammy Steal!

We've had a team that had a bunch of excellent players before. I think it was Shula's last year. But nothing came of it because their wasn't a team of players. I think the best way to describe that was that the "team didn't gel" together. I hope and pray we don't have that problem this season.

Originally posted by IceStorm
We've had a team that had a bunch of excellent players before. I think it was Shula's last year. But nothing came of it because their wasn't a team of players. I think the best way to describe that was that the "team didn't gel" together. I hope and pray we don't have that problem this season.

It was the 1995 team and, you're correct, they never did gel but the difference here, as I see it, is that these players have already gelled with the exception of Knight and Seau and both of them know the roles that they're supposed to play. Also, the offense is returning almost entirely intact (with a couple of upgrade in the receiving corps) so there shouldn't be any worries there. I'm not worried about the team coming together as much as I am worried about them falling apart based upon the struggles of years past. If they don't let that pressure get to them they should be fine.

I think there are differences between Brock and Sammy. Sammy is more of a ballhawk who is a harder hitter with better instincts. Brock is a lot faster and a decent cover man. I think they both complement each other pretty well. I think we definitely have the best secondary in the NFL.

I agree. I think Seau has something to prove and from the reports I've read it seems as though he's faster and more fluid than he has been in a couple years.

As for Knight, I cannot say much because I didn't see him play much in NO, but again the reports are all positive. We need instincts, not just flat-out speed, and he brings that. If he can pick up just a few picks and big plays, he will be WELL worth it.

Once again, we've picked up guys who can play for cheap. You saw the posted report that a mag had TEN Dolphins among the top-10 at their position... it's a testament to Wannspiel and Jimmy...

Also, side note, the term is "jell." It looks weird, but unless our defensive players are slowly becoming gelatin, they're "jelling."

I think the critical distinction between 1995 and 2003 is that in 1995 we were looking for mercenaries. Today we're looking for leaders.

Originally posted by infiltrateib
Also, side note, the term is "jell." It looks weird, but unless our defensive players are slowly becoming gelatin, they're "jelling."

The funny thing is I knew that but, due to the fact that it looks odd, I second guessed myself and went with the way it was previously written. Always go with your first instinct.

Originally posted by IceStorm

I raised this comparison about a month ago. But, while on the surface it has some similarities, there really is a world of difference. That team did not have the talent this one did - it had a number of 1st round picks that were washed up; they were good in name only; they were selfish and there was a lot of backbiting on the team; we still had zero running game.

This team is younger, healthier, with proven stars, not 1st round draft picks that didn't cut it with other teams. This team's vets are guys who want one thing - to win the SB.

there is absolutely no reason why the fins shouldnt have the best secondary and the best overall defense in the nfl. 9 current or former pro bowlers on one defense? your secondary is all pro..

if you guys give up more than 17-21 points in any game, it would be a total embarassement and the players should hang their heads in shame.

with the way the defense should play this year, ricky should get tons of carries too, so there is no reason that he wont break 2000 yards, that is unless he gets injured.. but he is in such top condition, that there is NO WAY he could get hurt.. zero chance of him getting dinged up and missing time.. the guy is a tank..

you guys really shouldnt have to throw the ball at all.. ricky three times straight.. if you dont get it, punt and watch your defense go 3 and out.. then right back at it with ricky..

i dont see any weaknesses to this defense or the team at all..

matter of fact, if you guys arent 16-0 by seasons end.. it will be a total disappointment.. because you guys have all the leaders to get you there.. none of them are mercenaries.. all leaders baby...

good luck! no pressure.. none at all. :D

You know Tatonka, that's almost right, you could be right and it happens just the way you so sarcasily put it..I hope your right, since I'm a phin fan..that would be a nice season.

Originally posted by DOLPHAN1
jealous?..:rolleyes:

completely.. what is not to be jealous of?

your defense is stocked to the brim with all pro players.. i mean even your nickle back is an absolute stud who defies age!..

i am telling you.. this team has everything it takes to be 16-0.

If someone can point out one spot where your defense is weak, i would like to see it.. i mean.. you could say the inexperience of your strongside LB, but really.. he is surrounded by pro bowlers in front and behind him. there is no reason that he shouldnt do well. i could do well at SSLB with all the guys you have there..

your defense is so strong that no one should be able to score on you, therefore you will win every single game this season. Your offense is surely capable of putting up at LEAST a field goal.. and that will be enough to win.

let me be the first to say congradulations on the afc east title, the afc championship, and the nfl championship.

:D

Back
Top Bottom