Aaron Brewer to the Dolphins | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aaron Brewer to the Dolphins

Now that is interesting that he had the 13th best pass block win rate as Tua usually had the ball out of his hands by that point. ESPN pass block win rate uses a 2.5 second check to see if the OL has maintained his block while Tua's average time to release was 2.3 seconds.

Maybe his pass blocking isn't as bad as the PFF metric would suggest? Maybe the Titan's QB's just held the ball too long?
Don't you mean "Tua long". - LOL

I haven't watched any film on him yet. I'd been meaning to b/c he had been mentioned as an ideal fit by a few pundits whose opinion I respect. I have come to believe that the most important factor in the success or failure of a FA signing (outside of injury) is scheme fit. IMO that's why we've struggled to build an OL here, too much coaching turnover and scheme changes left too many poor fits. Building an OL in the NFL is tough enough. With constant scheme changes I would say it's practically impossible.

I also don't put much stock in the pass pro stats/evaluations. I find that those are more of a QB stat. And frankly, as much as I respected Tannehill during his time here, his pocket presence is poor on a legendary level. And Levis was a rookie, a very good rookie, but still one prone to rookie level pocket management. Unless I see a bunch of film where Brewer is completely whiffing in pass pro, I'm not going to be too worried about his pass pro.

I haven’t seen a lot of tape on him but I like this pickup. He looks athletic which is a plus with the wide zone we run. He is a little on the light side, I think he plays at 275lbs so anchoring may be a problem against NT but from what I’ve seen, he has quick hands that are accurate and has a nice punch.

Mark Stepnoski played C for the Cowboys in the 90’s @ 270lbs and he was voted to the 90’s all decade team, maybe Brewer will workout with the Dolphins.

I think that is a gross overstatement and misdirection from how well he performed or not, and why.
Titans run a completely different offense, and Tannehill is a statue contributing to how an OL "looks." Plus we have different OL coaches, one in particular that seems to get more out of his guys than previous coaches, so until he proves he can't perform well in this system, with this QB, and this coach, I'm expecting him to do just fine. Not saying he's going to be all-pro or anything, but not expecting him to lead the league in sacks allowed either.

Yay- good for Tua too:

Brewer gave up six sacks last season, tied for second most among NFL centers. He also allowed 34 pressures, 21 hurries and seven QB hits, all of which ranked among the worst in the league.

I'm hoping this offense is evolving into a more balanced attack and one that can really go run heavy when necessary. We not only need to protect Tua but now we need to protect a young fledgling and learning a new system defense. With the speed we have at WR and RB and defenses now sitting in the intermediate spots Tua likes to throw to often, it's imperative we take advantage of that in the run game. This offense needs to diversify and a strong consistent running game is the first way to do that.
I'd hope for the same. I think we'll be able to go "run heavy", but not power run/between the tackles heavy, unfortunately. It'll be forced by personel/lost draft picks/limited cap space, not McD's preference.( 'course it also is pretty surely McD's preference 😂, but also forced). We could go pretty run heavy last year, with OL health and A-Chan, I think. In this "reset" or "transition year" (or whatever they're calling it), I think the best we can hope for is a good timing passing game, good finesse, wide zone runs, and- maaaybe a tough, hard working, scrappy, physical defense?? To set the tone? Maybe?

I'd hope for the same. I think we'll be able to go "run heavy", but not power run/between the tackles heavy, unfortunately. It'll be forced by personel/lost draft picks/limited cap space, not McD's preference.( 'course it also is pretty surely McD's preference 😂, but also forced). We could go pretty run heavy last year, with OL health and A-Chan, I think. In this "reset" or "transition year" (or whatever they're calling it), I think the best we can hope for is a good timing passing game, good finesse, wide zone runs, and- maaaybe a tough, hard working, scrappy, physical defense?? To set the tone? Maybe?
I'd say that's about the best we could expect for 24. Until we seriously lock down the trenches and can run w/power in the middle, we're not contenders.

So cause he is a lighter Center means he is physically weak?? You watch any tape that shows he’s “physically weak”? Only weak thing is this post
Sorry Homer, the guy cant pass block. Major liability.

Back
Top Bottom