About not trying to score: Wanny / Players Back Decision | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

About not trying to score: Wanny / Players Back Decision

Chambers34Phins

Practice Squad
Reaction score
About not trying to score: Wanny

I'll probably be in the minority on this, and take heat for this. But I am with wanny on that. AFter watching that game, and the way griese played, and how we hardly moved the ball when we needed to. I was all for packing it in for over time.

I mean, where we wre on the field, one mistake kills us. And we have seen to many time's Griese drop back and get stripped from behind, and I didn't want to see that again. Griese had not thrown well all game long, and the Ravens are a very good defense. They could have forced him into a mistake and that could very well have cost us the game.

Like I have said. I would rather have played field position in overtime, then maybe make a mistake at the end of regulation and cost us the game.

I dont agree with the conservativeness...

We had the ball.. 1 minute to play and all 3 time outs.... its plain stupid not to try and score..

Worst case, we go 3 n out and punt the ball.. then go into overtime

Worst case, Griese stripped from behind, losses ball, Ravens pick it up on the 30 run it to the 20, kick the game winning FG.

Not plain stupid. A struggling offense against a great defense is not the way to go.

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
Worst case, Griese stripped from behind, losses ball, Ravens pick it up on the 30 run it to the 20, kick the game winning FG.

Not plain stupid. A struggling offense against a great defense is not the way to go.

Well that could happen in the first possission of OT too. What's the difference. We're coach dead...Get it brain dead coach dead.

That's true, but it didn't. Do you honestly think we could have scored against their great defense by trying to push our horrible offense up the field late in the game? We are more likely to make a mistake then, then in overtime when we have time.

Do you honestly think we could have scored against their great defense by trying to push our horrible offense up the field late in the game?

By not trying.. its admitting defeat...

Originally posted by Jeep

By not trying.. its admitting defeat...

no...

51 seconds left... at our 20. lets try and **** up..

it was the right call.

The same damn thing can happen in the OT.
You are going to have to run your offense at some point to score points and win.
If you have given up on your offense so much that you aren't going to run it at all then the team should pack up the whole season.

The decision was gutless and the strategy behind it very weak IMO.

Re: About not trying to score: Wanny

I'll probably be in the minority on this, and take heat for this. But I am with wanny on that. AFter watching that game, and the way griese played, and how we hardly moved the ball when we needed to. I was all for packing it in for over time.

I mean, where we wre on the field, one mistake kills us. And we have seen to many time's Griese drop back and get stripped from behind, and I didn't want to see that again. Griese had not thrown well all game long, and the Ravens are a very good defense. They could have forced him into a mistake and that could very well have cost us the game.

Like I have said. I would rather have played field position in overtime, then maybe make a mistake at the end of regulation and cost us the game.

But that could happen anytime during the game. Just think, if we hadn't won the game, could you imagine the hell the WOULD have been raised. Wanny lucked out on this one.

I was mad at Wannstedt for not TRYING to win the game in the last minute.

However, after watching the way we played the overtime period, it made sense.

Our defense won us the game with turnovers, and Wannstedt was obviously waiting on his D to provide us with the field position to win.

It was a stratagy that could of backfired, but it worked this time.

We won

It was the right call because it worked out. If Baltimore had won the toss and had a big return, kicked a FG and won, it would have been the wrong call. Had Griese gotten stripped and lost the ball and Baltimore kicked a FG it would have been the wrong call. You know the story. Second guessing, second guessing, blah, blah. Why are you second guessing after we get an important WIN? If we can beat Washington, we are 7-4 and back in the hunt.
Smile and move on. There will be plenty more to gripe about in the coming weeks.

Sure sure, it could happen at any point in the game. But what you are all failing to realize is it is more likely to happen there.

Running a hurry up, with an offense that barely moved the ball at all today, a qb who is very shakey, and a horrible oline, against a great defense is just asking for a mistake to be made. You are much more likely to make a mistake in that situation, then you are in overtime, when you have plenty of time to get the ball down the field. Griese would have felt pressured and tried to force a ball and it could easily have gotten picked off.

All I am saying is it is much more likely to happen right there that would have cost us the game.

It was a bad decision not to go for it. It seems like Wannstedt has at least one major gaff per game.

Again, I think it was a good decision. We didn't move the ball all day, I highly doubt we would have there. Plus, we are much more likely to make a mistake in that situation. It was a game of field position, deciding to go into ot gave us better field position in the end, especially after the fumble by lewis (my xmas card to lewis is on it's way).

Back
Top Bottom