About Rosenhaus | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

About Rosenhaus

Merman said:
Excellent point but it goes both ways. If Ogun signs the tender and his career ends he only gets the $1.824 million. Why expect the employee to carry all the risk???

That notion discredits the importance of a contract.

Sorry but I think if you are in a union you abide by the contract and it's just MY nature to WORK for my credited time.

The man has no principle to stand on.

Zod,

You're changing the rules in midstream because it suits you. In fact, you point that out when you say that you abide by the contract but then that it's YOUR nature to work for credited time. Abiding by the contract is abiding by the contract, and that contract says a minimum of 6 weeks qualifies as a year. It might not make sense to you why the league would have ever accepted that, but I'm sure they did so as a compromise to get other things they wanted. The contract either represents the bargain, or it doesn't. I think that's a pretty substantial principle to stand on.

Jimmy James said:
Zod,

You're changing the rules in midstream because it suits you. In fact, you point that out when you say that you abide by the contract but then that it's YOUR nature to work for credited time. Abiding by the contract is abiding by the contract, and that contract says a minimum of 6 weeks qualifies as a year. It might not make sense to you why the league would have ever accepted that, but I'm sure they did so as a compromise to get other things they wanted. The contract either represents the bargain, or it doesn't. I think that's a pretty substantial principle to stand on.

There is a difference between interpreting rules exactly as they are WRITTEN and the SPIRIT of the rule. I am sure the rule was made to prevent players who get injured midseason to be unfairly penalized for something they can't control. But, taking that loophole and using it to your advantage in contract negotiations does not seem right to me.

But, what I think doesn't matter, what other front offices think is what matters, and I have a feeling they are not gonna be willing to give big money to a player that puts himself and his bank account before what is best for the team. I'm sure Rosenhaus has advised him of that too, which is probably why Ogun's stance has changed from "I'm prepared to sit out" to "I'm confident something will get done, and I want to stay a Dolphin... I just want a little security" in recent days.

i just have one thing to add: JT restructured his contract BEFORE kearse and winstrom set a new "bar" for DE salaries

and surtain probably wont be asking for $10mil+ only because he is making almost $8mil right now and thats one of the higher paid corners

Merman said:
Excellent point but it goes both ways. If Ogun signs the tender and his career ends he only gets the $1.824 million. Why expect the employee to carry all the risk???

That's why if the player is somewhat smart he takes about 300-400k of that for an insurance policy for the year against future earnings.

grooves12 said:
There is a difference between interpreting rules exactly as they are WRITTEN and the SPIRIT of the rule. I am sure the rule was made to prevent players who get injured midseason to be unfairly penalized for something they can't control. But, taking that loophole and using it to your advantage in contract negotiations does not seem right to me.

Calling this a loophole is applying that same bias to the interpretation of the contract. If the league and the union intended specifically to provide the six game rule to those players who were injured, the CBA should have been written that way.

But, what I think doesn't matter, what other front offices think is what matters, and I have a feeling they are not gonna be willing to give big money to a player that puts himself and his bank account before what is best for the team.

Tell that to Joey Galloway. Tell that to Duce Staley. I don't recall either of them having trouble finding a job after their holdout. It's a risk, but it is WAY too early to characterize how the risk would play out. Wale's holdout could mean that the team gets no sacks from the guy opposite JT and that JT gets stifled. If that's the case, the holdout works even better than playing would for Wale because it proves his worth more conclusively. If Bowens comes in and gets a dozen sacks while Taylor gets fourteen, Wale will be hating life. Nobody knows how it plays out until it does. He could be Errict Rhett, or he could become a stunning example of why sitting can be a good thing.

I'm sure Rosenhaus has advised him of that too, which is probably why Ogun's stance has changed from "I'm prepared to sit out" to "I'm confident something will get done, and I want to stay a Dolphin... I just want a little security" in recent days.

I think that has less to do with future implications of a holdout than the level of risk Wale feels like taking. It says to me that he'd rather give Miami a discount off of the Wistrom price in order to have money in the hand. He'd rather not end up being a UFA who gets money at the level Lorenzo Bromell did this offseason because he is shown to be just a product of the system, even if that means getting maybe 25% less than he thinks he could.

VanDolPhan said:
That's why if the player is somewhat smart he takes about 300-400k of that for an insurance policy for the year against future earnings.

Are such policies actually available to professional players? I know that Willis McGahee had a policy much like this that would have paid off if his knee had been so bad that he couldn't go pro, but I don't personally know of any circumstances in which a pro has had such a policy. Do you?

Drew works for O-Gun so if O-Gun wanted a deal done today there'd be a deal done today. Meanwhile, I see Drew and his brother all the time at Dolphin practice and he's friendly, he smiles at people and he's a real Dolphin fan. I think a deal will be done with Wale that is mutually good for the team and the player. If you ask me it's Fiedlers' agent, Brian Levy,that's been a jerk.

ZOD said:
That notion discredits the importance of a contract.

Sorry but I think if you are in a union you abide by the contract and it's just MY nature to WORK for my credited time.

The man has no principle to stand on.

What you quoted:

Originally Posted by Merman

Has nothing to do with contracts. It was just a little common sense directed to the point that Ogun should have good faith.

VanDolPhan said:

I would imagine he could get a disability policy from Lloyd's of London as they have a reputation of insuring everything but life insurance. :)

I suspect it would be more than $400k to insure $50 million for a professional football player playing in the NFL??? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom