ACC Football | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ACC Football

kpcane

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
4 of the top 9 picks are from the ACC. I guess the NFL doesn't buy the media bias.

It amazes me that year after year the ACC keeps producing top picks and yet our teams can never put it together on the field. I do think that is changing in the coming years but the play on the field this decade has been baffling.

I'm not saying that any of our teams are going to be the best team in the nation at any point, but I think this shows the incredible depth of the ACC. People look past the ACC, some say we don't deserve a BCS bid, and that we're the worst conference. But when you consider that the ACC winner didn't even produce a 1st or 2nd rounder, and that teams like Maryland, BC, Wake Forest, and Virginia all have a top 10 guy on their team, it shows how tough every single game in that conference can be.
I think it's been pretty close over the past two years, but I think that this is the year that the ACC passes the SEC in top to bottom depth, but I still think the SEC will have a better set of elite teams at the top. But watch out if UM and FSU return to their old ways.

SEC still had the most players selected.

There's a little difference between producing good players and producing good teams. Al Groh does a good job grooming kids for the NFL but is a lousy coach. Even Bunting turned out some decent prospects during his abysmal tenure at UNC. Unfortunately he couldn't recruit so that list grew smaller as the years went by, but he was still a good teacher.

Butch Davis is the best recruiter in the ACC...I have to admitt I was wrong,I thought Butch was using UNC as springboard to another job.He will build UNC into a ACC power.
I'm a Bama alum and fan,but the Canes are probaly my second favorite team.
Look at what has happened to Miami since Butch left!Sure they won a Nat'l championship,but that one really is Butches'.
I think Shannon is a good cordinator and will recruit well because of the talent
in Fla.I (just my opinon) don't think he is or will ever be a elite coach.
Paul Johnson at Ga. tech will build good teams but won't recruite great offensive players that goes to the pros because of the option.
I think there will be a shift in power in the ACC over the next few years.

I'm not saying that any of our teams are going to be the best team in the nation at any point, but I think this shows the incredible depth of the ACC. People look past the ACC, some say we don't deserve a BCS bid, and that we're the worst conference. But when you consider that the ACC winner didn't even produce a 1st or 2nd rounder, and that teams like Maryland, BC, Wake Forest, and Virginia all have a top 10 guy on their team, it shows how tough every single game in that conference can be.
I think it's been pretty close over the past two years, but I think that this is the year that the ACC passes the SEC in top to bottom depth, but I still think the SEC will have a better set of elite teams at the top. But watch out if UM and FSU return to their old ways.

No..The SEC will only get stronger top to bottom.
The new CBS/ESPN -15yr 2.25 BILLION dollar deal will add 20 million a year
to each SEC school.
Look at the coaches in the SEC and what they make.That will only go up
in the next few years.
It's not about media bias,it's about money.

No..The SEC will only get stronger top to bottom.
The new CBS/ESPN -15yr 2.25 BILLION dollar deal will add 20 million a year
to each SEC school.
Look at the coaches in the SEC and what they make.That will only go up
in the next few years.
It's not about media bias,it's about money.

Ok, you're looking at long-term, I'm talking about over the next couple of years.

Let's just look at one example - Vanderbilt. A 7-6 team in the SEC (4-4 in conference). Lost to Duke and Wake Forest (beat BC in a bowl game, but I don't think meaningless bowl games are a good standard by which to judge). Wake Forest was 4-4 in the ACC, Duke was 1-7.

Vanderbilt finished 3rd in their division, tied with South Carolina (who lost at Clemson and beat NC State). Behind them was Tennessee and Kentucky. Ahead of them was Florida and Georgia (who lost to Ga. Tech.). Clearly this wasn't a strong division top to bottom, however the top team did become the MNC. But the overall depth wasn't there.

In the other division you have Alabama at the top, followed by Mississippi (who lost at Wake Forest). LSU was after them. They had a poor conference record, but it's hard to analyze their performance because they didn't play any good OOC teams. Then Arkansas, Auburn, and Ms. State all followed with 2-6 in conference records, with OOC losses as well.

So as you can see, the SEC was not deep at all last year. They had two very good teams UF and Alabama, but not a whole lot after that.

Fla,Ala and Miss.will be in the preseson top 10..SI has Ole' Miss at #7...hard to imagine.Plus last year the SEC was young.New coaches will help.Last year was a down year..thats just one year and we still had the National Champs.3rd year in a row.Probably again this year.
It was a young conference last year and we still had the most players drafted.
CBS and ESPN didn't spend 2.25 billion for a two team conference.They did it because
the SEC was fixing to start their own network.CBS and ESPN was not about to go
into the college season having to schedule ACC/Big 10 or whoever against a channel
of SEC games.If the ACC was top to bottom better,where is their TV deal?
Past,Present and the Future the SEC is still the meat grinder conference.
They better hope the National Championship never goes to a playoff system because
the SEC is built for that type of play.
Listen,I don't want to argue..because i like Miami,Butch Davis and Paul Johnson.
But i don't worry about losing Nick Saban to a ACC school.
All schools have players go to the pros.I look at National championships.
I'll give you your arguement top to bottom LASt year the SEC was down because of
youth,but this coming up year will be back to normal.
We can check it out first game, Virgina Tech vs Bama. in Ga.
It will be a good one.
Heres to a great year for both conferences.

Well, you obviously want to argue, or you wouldn't have prefaced that statement with a lengthy argument.

I don't care if Ole Miss is ranked #1. They lost to Wake Forest last year, a team that went .500 in the ACC. It seems that everytime I have the ACC/SEC argument, it always boils down to "but we're the SEC", we're always the best top to bottom, without addressing the games I've mentioned. But when you look at the regular season games, you see a much different story. The SEC is by far the most popular conference, THAT'S why they're getting the TV deal. You think ESPN would rather show you a great football game, or make a ton of money off a game? Or, let me guess, you honestly believe that TV deals are given to conferences based on how good they are top to bottom. Give me a break.

I'm very much looking forward to the Va. Tech/Bama game. If you thought the SEC was young last year, you should've taken a look at the ACC. Va. Tech, FSU, UNC, and Miami were all very young last year. I'm also looking forward to Ga Tech/GA, and FSU/UF.

Ole Miss BARELY lost to WF...on the road....in what was a great game....it came down to one play basically.....and it was before Ole Miss really started to come together and roll.....and before WF began to falter....

Good thing they didn't play later in the season....Ole Miss probably wins by two touchdowns....

BTW.....did GT ever get the license number of that purple and yellow steam engine that blew them out of the Peach Bowl?

Has Clemson even recovered yet from the crunch fest Bama put on them in Death Valley? lol

The bottom line is the SEC is the driving force behind college football.....where else does 80,000 fans show up for a spring game? Where else do you see over 1,500 media outlets show up for media day? Nowhere...

The ACC always has good speed on defense....I've always said that....but really.....comparing a basketball conference to the powerhouse known as the (S)ports (E)lite (C)onference is probably getting a little out of hand...lol

Namor nailed it....what you're going to see again in 2009 is the SEC win a 4th straight NC and the sequel to Florida rolling over the Big 12's sacrificial lamb in Oklahoma again....

Roll Tide homies...

Before Ole Miss really started to come together? a couple of weeks later they'd beat UF so obviously they had some potential.

Didn't about 100,000 fans turn out in Columbus for OSUs spring game? It's not the rest of the Country's fault that in the South they have nothing better to do than watch an intrasquad scrimmage in April.:up:

The SEC clearly has regained it's throne as the best conf in CFB but the ACC is getting better. it's taken some time since expansion but finally it appears to be nearing the top conferences.

Ole Miss BARELY lost to WF...on the road....in what was a great game....it came down to one play basically.....and it was before Ole Miss really started to come together and roll.....and before WF began to falter....

Good thing they didn't play later in the season....Ole Miss probably wins by two touchdowns....

BTW.....did GT ever get the license number of that purple and yellow steam engine that blew them out of the Peach Bowl?

Has Clemson even recovered yet from the crunch fest Bama put on them in Death Valley? lol

The bottom line is the SEC is the driving force behind college football.....where else does 80,000 fans show up for a spring game? Where else do you see over 1,500 media outlets show up for media day? Nowhere...

The ACC always has good speed on defense....I've always said that....but really.....comparing a basketball conference to the powerhouse known as the (S)ports (E)lite (C)onference is probably getting a little out of hand...lol

Namor nailed it....what you're going to see again in 2009 is the SEC win a 4th straight NC and the sequel to Florida rolling over the Big 12's sacrificial lamb in Oklahoma again....

Roll Tide homies...

Oh, ok, they barely lost?? Oh, ok. And they would've beaten them later in the season, you said? Oh ok. I guess that game that they actually played meant nothing, because Ole Miss is just better. They're in the SEC. If they played later, they would've killed them. And when they did play, it was pretty much luck that Wake Forest actually won. Got ya.

And for some reason, that Chick Fil A bowl game definitely holds more water than Ga Tech actually beating GA in the regular season. If you want to argue that meaningless bowl games are more indicative of talent than regular season games, by all means continue to do so.

Realize I was talking top-to-bottom depth. I acknowledged Bama and UF were elite, and we couldn't compete with them, but have a team like South Carolina play Clemson, and well, you see the results.

The SEC isn't the driving force behind college football. This is the same stupid argument Yankees fans give. The media is the driving force behind everything. And if they want to pimp the Yankees, Red Sox, SEC, La Lakers, then that's what people will 'care' about. Funny how once the media started controlling who gets to the championship game, the SEC has been piling up the appearances. And that you actually think that Florida 'rolled' Oklahoma last year, just shows how much of a homer you are.

Before Ole Miss really started to come together? a couple of weeks later they'd beat UF so obviously they had some potential.

Didn't about 100,000 fans turn out in Columbus for OSUs spring game? It's not the rest of the Country's fault that in the South they have nothing better to do than watch an intrasquad scrimmage in April.:up:

The SEC clearly has regained it's throne as the best conf in CFB but the ACC is getting better. it's taken some time since expansion but finally it appears to be nearing the top conferences.

You're making my point kinda....

Ole Miss played WF in the second game of the season....Jevan Snead's SECOND career start.....the SECOND game of Houston Nutts offense...

Of course Ole Miss had potential....they had top 10 potential.....WF didn't....I knew Ole Miss was going to beat TT.....I called it 2 months before anybody even knew they would end up playing each other in a bowl game....when everyone was hyping the Big 12 and all their high flying gimmick offenses....they get stomped when they play against an SEC defense...

Oh...and don't go there about the south with the typical yankme propoganda....I've lived up north....trust me it's the stench you have to get over when you walk outside....

Oh, ok, they barely lost?? Oh, ok. And they would've beaten them later in the season, you said? Oh ok. I guess that game that they actually played meant nothing, because Ole Miss is just better. They're in the SEC. If they played later, they would've killed them. And when they did play, it was pretty much luck that Wake Forest actually won. Got ya.

And for some reason, that Chick Fil A bowl game definitely holds more water than Ga Tech actually beating GA in the regular season. If you want to argue that meaningless bowl games are more indicative of talent than regular season games, by all means continue to do so.

Realize I was talking top-to-bottom depth. I acknowledged Bama and UF were elite, and we couldn't compete with them, but have a team like South Carolina play Clemson, and well, you see the results.

The SEC isn't the driving force behind college football. This is the same stupid argument Yankees fans give. The media is the driving force behind everything. And if they want to pimp the Yankees, Red Sox, SEC, La Lakers, then that's what people will 'care' about. Funny how once the media started controlling who gets to the championship game, the SEC has been piling up the appearances. And that you actually think that Florida 'rolled' Oklahoma last year, just shows how much of a homer you are.

The fact that Georgia plays a tougher non conference schedule is also what keeps them out of NC picture every year....the conference battles in the SEC are tough enough as it is....and Georgia's injuries piling up every year can be attributed to that....you have to give yourself a break now and then....

It's not just Florida.....Oklahoma always gets beat in BCS games for the most part it seems like.....beat by Boise....absolutely hammered by USC....and that's AFTER they didn't even win their conference....and you're bitching about the SEC getting the NC appearances? lol........when's the last time they won a BCS game anyway?

I know people love to hate the SEC....that's what makes it so great....but they can't do anything about it on the football field....

Hey maybe the Hurricokes will become good enough one of these days to earn the right to get slaughtered by an SEC team in a bowl game....err...wait.....don't get your hopes up....:lol:

Back
Top Bottom