According to Ponder he was Miamis target at 15? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

According to Ponder he was Miamis target at 15?

phinsfan84

remember ur 1st chance may be ur last
Reaction score
Ok so take it for what its worth but last night i talked to Christian Ponder at Aj's Sports Bar here in Tallahassee. He was back in tallahassee partying it up a little with some friends at Aj's which on tuesday nights is the place to be. I make no attempt to block my bias towards ponder as a person because ive met him many times but when i broke down his tape he was absolutely the guy i wanted miami to take 15th overall. I feel like he is the safest QB in this draft and will turn out to be a very good - great pro.

I seen him and went over to him and said whats up. I started to ask him how it feels to have the whole process over with and all this. He said hes happy and thinks he landed in a great spot. I told him straight up that im not a Vikings Fan but a phins fan. I was like I gotta ask you something man cause im huge in the whole draft process and everything.

"Did you have a lot of talks with Miami?" "like Did you ever think that miami might be where you would end up?"

He then told me he met with Jeff Ireland many times and talked to him about if he would like to be a dolphin. Then during the draft at around the 10th pick that his agent was telling him that miami was gonna take him at 15 if he makes it past Minnesota. He said during the whole thing Miami was very interested. He mentioned that miami seemed like they didnt want people to know how interested they were in him. In his opinion Miami was definitely targeting him at 15

I then said to him that Ill be rooting for him on sundays and told him he probably got the best deal out of all the QBs in the draft. I was telling him man its gonna be soo easy for you. Throwing it to Harvin, Handing off to AP, and he goes dont forget Sidney Rice man. We talked football for a while longer and then i got someone to take a picture of me him and my roommate so i have a little proof. The guy is such a good guy and the vikings got a great person and great player. In my opinion this proves to me what i thought all along.

Miami had all these Mallet, Gabbert, Kaepernick, Dalton, Taylor, Locker, even Newton Rumors for a while. But nothing really on Ponder. I think thewhole time they wanted him. The media and mainstream "insiders" called this a reach for the vikings at 12th but i think inside the real GM offices and on the draft boards many people had this guy higher than you think.

Just sharing a cool *** experience with you other fellow finheaven Draft Gurus.

Ponder-1.jpg

wish miami woulda drafted him i woulda had an even cooler story and would have been able to provide some inside Phins info for sure down the road as me and many of my friends are cool with him.

Tells me that they weren't willing to draft a QB high if they didn't like him. Their guy was off the board, so they went with their highest rated interior lineman. I would have been OK with Mallett at 15, but they weren't. I can't fault them for sticking with their convictions on that. I still think they should have taken Mallett where they took Thomas, but I can understand their trepidation. Makes me feel a little better about our draft. Would have been pretty sweet to land Ponder though...

The Dolphins had interest. But I think it was an either/or thing. If the Vikings hadn't taken Christian Ponder at #12, the feeling from Miami's war room was that the Vikings would take Mike Pouncey. So, in that scenario, I do believe Miami walks out with Christian Ponder. However, if both Ponder and Pouncey were available, I think they take Pouncey. I think that was where their focus has been.

If the Dolphins could be said to have had a guy that was "their guy"...it wasn't Christian Ponder. It was Jake Locker, which doesn't give me good feelings about this FO but hey whatever it's OK to disagree on a prospect.

Ponder is a West Coast QB who doesnt have an accurate deep ball...no thanks. Glad we didnt get him.

But thats cool u got to meet him.

The Dolphins had interest. But I think it was an either/or thing. If the Vikings hadn't taken Christian Ponder at #12, the feeling from Miami's war room was that the Vikings would take Mike Pouncey. So, in that scenario, I do believe Miami walks out with Christian Ponder. However, if both Ponder and Pouncey were available, I think they take Pouncey. I think that was where their focus has been.

If the Dolphins could be said to have had a guy that was "their guy"...it wasn't Christian Ponder. It was Jake Locker, which doesn't give me good feelings about this FO but hey whatever it's OK to disagree on a prospect.

The fact they would even consider Locker is disturbing about their ability to evaluate QBs at all!

Yeah, I agree with you. I think he was defiinitely a target and I do believe that NFL GM's had him much higher than the media did. The more I watched of Ponder the more I kept moving him up past guys like Mallett and Locker. He is in a great situation in Minnesota, but would have loved to have him in Miami.

The fact they would even consider Locker is disturbing about their ability to evaluate QBs at all!

Which is why he wen't #8 overall, and was said to be liked by the #10 team (with a coach that has 2 Super Bowls under his belt) and the #12 team (which arguably should have won the Super Bowl the Saints did). We obviously weren't the only team that showed interest in Jake Locker so I don't see how that qualifies as "disturbing" in terms of their ability to evaluate QB's.

I liked Ponder the most from this draft as well, so good to know Fins were thinking along the same lines. Not getting him is not that bad though. I think we did a good job of supplying Henne with help and if this yr and specifically Henne don't pan out then we havta do whatever it takes to land Barkley next year (not gonna even mention Luck since he will be unobtainable)

Sad to hear how interested the Dolphins were in Ponder, yet were unwilling to pounce on him with a legitimate risk with the Vikings at 12. You KNOW the cowboys were willing to trade down.

And here we sit, debating the merits of Bulger and McNabb. FML.

Back
Top Bottom