According to Ponder he was Miamis target at 15? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

According to Ponder he was Miamis target at 15?

I thought Ponder went high but projected him as a late first round pick the Dolphins were willing to trade back for if they could and hope that they could choose between Ingram, Pouncy and Ponder. Would be intereting to know how far Pouncy would have fallen if Miami had not chosen him. Looking at QB NFL ready to play that was Ponders strong suite which I think made him more valuable to Miami instead of Locker I "thought" they were looking at Blaine G from Missouri as an option if he fell far enough.

It was Jake Locker, which doesn't give me good feelings about this FO but hey whatever it's OK to disagree on a prospect.

Interestingly, Dave Razzano, the scout that didn't like the Dolphins draft (posted in another thread) actually likes Locker and rated him higher than Gabbert and Newton. He actually liked Kaepernick, too. He claims Locker played in a low-percentage offense at Washington and that both QB's can make NFL type throws.

So ****ing sick of the "what if's!"! Please FO just get us a ****ing QB.

I think most draft experts were surprised that the Vikings took Ponder at #12, but they clearly had to make a big move with Farve retiring and Tavaris Jackson not being more than a career backup. Mallett probably was too risky for us at #15, as we didn't have a 2nd rounder. Ponder could have been our pick at #15 if the Vikings had passed on him. I guess most of this is just speculation. At this point I would ask Denver if they might be willing to part with Orton for a 3rd rounder. If not, we probably tell Henne he has one more chance to show he is a franchise QB.

All I'm getting from this is that this FO isn't willing to do what it takes to get a QB after acknowledging it's a need (assuming all rumors are true).

The Dolphins had interest. But I think it was an either/or thing. If the Vikings hadn't taken Christian Ponder at #12, the feeling from Miami's war room was that the Vikings would take Mike Pouncey. So, in that scenario, I do believe Miami walks out with Christian Ponder. However, if both Ponder and Pouncey were available, I think they take Pouncey. I think that was where their focus has been.

If the Dolphins could be said to have had a guy that was "their guy"...it wasn't Christian Ponder. It was Jake Locker, which doesn't give me good feelings about this FO but hey whatever it's OK to disagree on a prospect.
I think that you are probably right in that Locker was the guy they really wanted. Tennessee's aggressive selection surprised me but probably had a big impact on our board. Do you have any other information to confirm this? I sense that they want a mobile QB who can scramble - and who knows we might get a veteran with those attributes.
Time will tell but I sense that Jake Locker is pretty high risk draft selection. He might turn out to be a star but he will have to improve his accuracy significantly.

i can say without one bit of hesitancy that i was the first guy around the dolphins boards who sang the praises of christian ponder!

before the college season ended, before the senior bowl, before combine and draft. and of course i got all the "he is a scrub, wont get drafted, do you even follow football replies. then after ponder scorched the senior bowl and topped the qb's at the combine several of the "experts", gurus and "in the know" fans were all about christian ponder!!

not blowing my horn, its just funny how stuff on these boards come out.

he was THE player i wanted in this draft. he is going to be a GREAT pro. and it gives me some hope that maybe ireland isnt as dim as he has seemed if ponder was truelly his guy.

If the dolphinstook christian ponder everybody would be calling for jeff ireland to resign.

chrs speilman continues to screw the fins

B4386DEB2CCF49458AA4545D355A48FC-1.jpg

He obviously had no idea Sidney Rice would end up in Seattle at that time...............................................

Ponder seems like a good guy, and I know he had his MBA before he got done at FSU. I think Ireland probably had a list of guys he looked at at QB, but decided there was none left on the board worth taking with a 1st round pick. I just thought Mallett would be our next pick after Pouncey. Maybe Ireland has decided to give Henne one more chance and if he doesn't work out we go after Luck/Barkley/Jones in 2012?

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think they were so high on Locker?

We received a list from a coaching source.

The list was
1). Locker
2). Ponder
3). Pouncey
4). Gabe Carimi

Back
Top Bottom