"Adam Gase Has made Jay a Star" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Adam Gase Has made Jay a Star"

YES!

I can't remember the last Dolphin RB that actually fell FORWARD after getting tackled.

those extra 2 yards or so can be huge.

We are usually just short of the LOS and this week we were always just over it!

"Adam Gase Has made Jay a Star"

Sorry, but the OPPOSITE is the truth.

Picture that game without Jay Ajayi. You still think it's a win? And even though I havnt seen the game as I have joined the nfl boycott, seeing jays numbers and the passing game stats, it doesn't take seeing the game to figure it out. Ajayi may end up a poor man's version of billicheks Tom Brady career savior.

You are missing the point. No one that saw him in college disputes that Ajayi had the talent. Actually, most players in the NFL have talent. The differentiator is work ethic. Before Ajayi was benched, he did not show the professionalism and work ethic to accomplish what he just accomplished. The poster you quote is implying that Coach Gase fixed his attitude and work ethic; so that, he could become the player he has been over the last two games.

I agree with the poster, but he made the point.

IDK, there was a a 2-3 game spurt last year where I saw the same violent running from Ajayi. Thats why I was ok with him being the guy going into this year.

Yes he had some very bad ones too, but the flash was clearly there for anyone actually watching. We didnt have a physical line to accommodate this type of back though.

But we can clearly see who does and does not watch the games around here.

This is where Bill Belichick would use him as a decoy 70% of the time the next 2 games and do misdirection option plays and pass pass pass.
I know that's an extreme, but is Miami going to beat its head against the wall when opposing defenses overload to stop what's been working for us?

I give Gase credit, or Tannehll credit if he called it on the field, but the Tannehill designed run was incredibly effective on the TD drive that got them to 17-14. They finally went counter-motion to all the stretch plays they had been running. I had called for them to do that the whole second half but they saved it for a pretty important time in the game.

I agree with you, JesseJames123: Ajayi did show flashes of that burst and power that he possesses. This year, he's seemed to add better vision, but that could just be from an offensive line that's keepiing a clean backfield and letting him get a head of steam up before he tears through arm tackles at the LOS.

Missing in the talk about Gase leaving Ajayi home versus Seattle is this: Anyone think maybe Jay was justified to be pissed about Foster starting over him? LOL Foster looks done...stick a fork in him.

And less than 24 hours later Foster is done...I win

Awesome great call. I wonder if fins told him they were retiring him or he did it on his accord???

And less than 24 hours later Foster is done...I win

I certainly was miffed that a guy who looked pretty good last year behind Miller and went into the offseason as heir apparent lost a job based on preseason performance where he was given nothing to work with and I guess camp? Honestly it's sheer folly judging running backs by result in preseason where "first team" lines that haven't been settled yet and aren't running a schemed running game generally don't move defenders, and backs like Pead can also end up looking good pulling video game moves against third stringers that will have a negative effect in real games. But I can forgive Gase for taking a couple games to figure out the RB situation. Philbin and Campbell never did even when we had an RB that averaged more yards per rush in some close games than the QB did per pass.

I certainly was miffed that a guy who looked pretty good last year behind Miller and went into the offseason as heir apparent lost a job based on preseason performance where he was given nothing to work with and I guess camp? Honestly it's sheer folly judging running backs by result in preseason where "first team" lines that haven't been settled yet and aren't running a schemed running game generally don't move defenders, and backs like Pead can also end up looking good pulling video game moves against third stringers that will have a negative effect in real games. But I can forgive Gase for taking a couple games to figure out the RB situation. Philbin and Campbell never did even when we had an RB that averaged more yards per rush in some close games than the QB did per pass.

He was benched for lack of effort, behavioral issues that affect performance (sulking), and lack of efficient studying during meetings. The same failures that cause the hooded one to bench a RB. Elite talent plus unprofessional behavior equals draft bust. It is incredibly rare for a player to perform adequately consistently without dedication to his craft.

Missing in the talk about Gase leaving Ajayi home versus Seattle is this: Anyone think maybe Jay was justified to be pissed about Foster starting over him? LOL Foster looks done...stick a fork in him.

Yes. And I said it a hundred times on this board. Foster was anything but special in preseason and outside of his one td from two yards out, he did ZERO to distinguish himself from jay. And Jay knew it.

Foster didn't "win" anything. He was given the job over his attitude of Foster being named starter. And I don't blame him. But, as he himself just admitted, he felt the job was always his and mailed it in some in preseason and then had the fumble thing. To Gaze's credit, he did the right thing sitting Jay and leaving him home opening day. And Jay responded. Kudos to both coach and player.

Actually, I gave this some thought, but the answer is a resounding no.

Here's why:

Foster was signed because Ajayi wasn't putting in the extra work. He wasn't making the job his when he had the opportunity. So, you bring in a guy who's been there, done that, got the tee-shirt and hope the competition gets Ajayi to step up. It didn't. When he was told he lost the job (and I agree, Foster didn't win it because of his play, he won it because of Ajayi's attitude), rather than responding, he sulked and made matters worse. Coach Gase was clearly trying to motivate Ajayi, so he left him at home and let him realize that the team could live without him. Granted, they need him, but they need the best of him. They need him hungry, so Gase got him hungry. Good for Gase...

Back
Top Bottom