Adding a threat to Drake

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tannchise, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

Gase said in his final press conf that he preferred a two-back system. What are your thoughts on either a rookie, Love, Johnson, Guice, Chubbs or Michel and where do you think they would land? And your thoughts on having two backs rotate? In addition, what about Leveon Bell? I left Barkley off, because I don't think Miami would trade up or he would land at 11.

Personally for me, I'd love to draft a back in round 2, preferably one from the SEC, but Love is a solid back too. I am not not sold on Drake's durability, but whoever we draft, should be a 3 down back. We need to keep the formula alive still, dual threat RBs and a hopefully a middle seam TE

2. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Sony Michel is a guy I'd welcome on my team for sure.

However, I am not using a 2nd round pick on a RB and neither will the Dolphins. They didn't want to invest money in the RB spot so that was a factor in trading Ajayi that not many people wanted to acknowledge. Aside from being a malcontent, he was inevitably going to be seeking a raise. While I too worry about Drake's durability given his college history, he appears to have gotten substantially bigger in the pro's. He's going to be the primary RB in the 2018 and 2019.

OG, C, TE, OLB and FS all need to be addressed before the RB.

Le'Veon Bell is going to make 20 x more money than Drake the next 2 seasons, it won't be in Miami.

Drfletcherdc, BSQ, Travis34 and 2 others like this.
  3. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

You're forgetting DE which is a big need too. Counting on Harris and a 36 year old Wake for a pass rush is not a good idea

Ozzy rules!!

joenhre and Liphinphan like this.
  4. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I wouldn't mind Lagarrette Blount to pair with Drake. He's not too expensive.

5. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

The RB class is very deep...

There will be good quality in Rounds 4 and later. Penny is my top choice in that range and Sony is easily moving up draft boards to put him in the 2nd round. LJ Scott is another name to consider, he has been a very good player at MSU, but has had some off the field issue, but mainly due to being a ****ty driver.

j-off-her-doll likes this.
  6. Liphinphan

Liphinphan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I am kind of meh on Blount. It was mentioned in another thread about C.J Anderson...good fit. My guess is that they use a mid round pick on a back. Although I do like the idea of a power back that can convert some short yardage chances(Blount), I find him a bit one dimensional

7. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

DE is a first or second round position, like QB. It's certainly important and might very well be our No.1 pick 2019.

I think 2018 is going to finally address the positions that have hindered us for more than a decade. The conversation begins with those weakness's, TE and interior OL.

Investing our first three picks in 2017 on defense and expecting all 3 of those guys to contribute in year two the way the 2016 draft class did this season means we are going to help our franchise QB first and fore most.

8. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I think day 3 is the right time to add a rb. Better guys will go off the board first for sure, but round 4-5 you might be able to land a steal. If Penny or Josh Adams last to the 4th, I would go for that. Maybe snag Nick Chubb in the 3rd

Anvil35 likes this.
  9. Tannchise

impact wise, Harris did squat for us as a DE.
    Tired of projects. If you told me I could get a RB and TE in first two rounds that would start and be productive, vs other non scoring positions, I might listen

10. Tannchise

this is why we suck. sure wait day 3 for a RB or QB. LOL

RocKStaR likes this.
  11. Travis34

Yes, lets use a 2nd (or 1st, seems to be what you may be suggesting in the op) round pick on a rb when we already have a competent one in house. When we could spend the pick on somewhere we actually need it

Drake was a 3rd rounder. Ajayi was a 5th. Alex Collins whom you were touting the other day, also a 5th. Examples can be found all over the league.

Anvil35 and FinaticalFinfan like this.
  12. Tannchise

how is this a need? That means Miami failed with Branch and Harris
    How many people do we need at DE?
    Wake is at 9M
    Branch $12M
    Harris $7M

You want more here? Then fire Burke

13. Tannchise

competent? He played well for a few games and is injury-prone. guess what? the old way of thinking doesn't work. think outside the box. enough guards and ends in the 1st round. doesnt work

14. Travis34

Ends in the first round? I'm all for that premier pass rushers are typically 1st rounders.

How many injuries has Drake had as a pro?

Also, when was the last time we took a guard in the first round?

15. FSU Truth

Wake is older and you need to think about replacing that...DE is also a rotational position where it is wise be 2 deep at the position as well.

joenhre likes this.
  16. Tannchise

Tunsil

17. Travis34

Not to mention, Branch is absolutely mediocre. Harris needs to develop more. Hayes (if brought back) is old.

and this dude thinks RB is a bigger need

FinaticalFinfan, Danny and joenhre like this.
  18. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

They pulled AJayi from the 5th and Drake from the 3rd, your wasting your thoughts if you think they are going invest in someone to spell Drake. As much as I like Drake, Adam Gase like's him even more than I do.

I love watching people talk about Baker Mayfield as an option for the Dolphins.

19. Travis34

He's a LT buddy. If you don't remember he was the #1 LT that year, likely going to go #1 overall. We essentially went BPA due to having Albert still. Thus Tunsil's rookie season was spent at LG. Where he was okay. This year at tackle, he had some rough spots, but really improved his play the last half of the season; which has been pointed out to you. To no avail

Ray R and FinaticalFinfan like this.
  20. Tannchise

well the excuse for Tannehill will be lack of depth and pass catching for him out the backfield.
    the truth is TRAVIS, that there are so many needs on this team, anyone can be selected. you think you know the needs of the phins, but you don't. they are global. They can't score. period. they can keep the chains moving. They drafted Dion Jordan and Charles Harris. Where did that get us?

21. Tannchise

he was drafted as a guard. he played G. Next

22. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry A True Fan

Jeremy hill one year $1M? He'll be cheaper than Williams at this point.

23. Tannchise

this team needs an elite LT and move Tunsil back to guard. I know you dont recall, but Ajayi had 200 yard games with Albert at T and Tunsil at G

24. Travis34

Your arguments are incredibly weak, end of story. Look at this, youre trying to turn this into a thread about the qb again. How can you even count Dion Jordan as part of anything? Harris is a rookie for crying out loud.

We don't need another rb in the first 3 rounds, unless there is a great value there (chubb?), you wait. You would be terrible running a team even in madden

Ray R and Danny like this.
  25. Tannchise

your articles suck too. thank god Miami won't be going that route

26. Travis34

I do recall. I looked at each rushing game from last year in one of your asinine RT threads, where you claimed "the running game carried us last year" ... to which I provided evidence it was more of a balanced effort, and then you never even replied or looked that way. You are pretty good at ignoring things.

LT is/should be Tunsil's position. You know, where he played most of his football life at? Not where he was an average guard. I'll take my chances on a #1 prospect becoming an elite tackle rather than use him at guard and be just 'good'

Ray R and Csonked Out like this.
  27. Travis34

lol what? What articles?

football outsiders saying X played great?

28. FSU Truth

And Drake led the NFL in rushing over the last 5 weeks of the season.

Tunsil was definitely drafted to be the team LT for the next 10 years or the team would not have parted with Albert to move him out there,

29. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

I love Love from Stanford. He would be perfect in Miami's offense.

30. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

What about the positions we already have a hole and need a starter?

How about a LBer? Seems we need a couple. What about a OG? C?

Seen those positions fail our team enough? I have.

Drfletcherdc likes this.
  31. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This is an extremely deep RB class. I've actually seen Michel and Chubb mocked in the third round in quite a few mocks. We should be able to find a quality back in the third round or even the fourth. That should be the target. Stay far away from FA backs please. Find one in the draft.

Ray R likes this.
  32. Travis34

Absolutely

Ray R likes this.
  33. Rolltide03

Rolltide03 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Tunsil is not a guard dude, one day you’ll get that through your head?

34. superphin

Find a threat day 3 theres is precedent for finding solid quality HB's day 3 of the draft. Alfred Morris, Ahmad Bradshaw, Lamar Miller, Devonta Freeman, Tim Hightowe etc. HB is probably the position that has the most solid contributions in the later rounds compared to other positions imo.

Ray R and Travis34 like this.
  35. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Ideally, if we can go LB, DE, TE, RB, S in the first four rounds that would be great. The OL should be fine with a quality second tier free agent guard/center addition. Most of our line (especially Tunsil and Davis) should improve next season as they're young.

Tunsil's play progressed in the second half of the season, and went unnoticed for the most part.

Ray R likes this.
  36. FSU Truth

I am fine with a LB, FS, G in round 1. DE should on that list because I don't know if any of those guys are going to be an every-down starter.

37. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Oh I see now. The FO made a big mistake paying big money to a very average DE and then drafted a project in the first round that had TWO sacks and 17 tackles for the whole year so because of that we can not draft a DE......LOL.......are you a comedian dude? Who cares how much they're paying those guys if they can't get the job done? Kiko's getting paid a lot of money so I guess we don't need any more LB's?
    We have two Safeties making a lot of money so we should not draft a FS for the next 4 years?

We have 3 first round pick invested on the O-line so we should not bring anyone else in?

We have NO pass rush and need to take care of it. I'm not saying it has to be at 11 but we need a pass rushing DE

Ozzy rules!!

joenhre likes this.
  38. superphin

Agreed we need a pass rushing DE! Even if Harris had 8 sacks last year, you can never have enough quality pass rushers. The Giants drafted Kiwanuka in the 1st rd of 2006 even though they had Strahan and Umenyiora and drafted Justin Tuck in the 3rd rd the following year. To beat great QB's you need a consistent pass rush.

Danny, joenhre and TheWozz like this.
  39. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

Not exactly what the OP meant, but Drake's best supporting player would be a blocking and seam TE threat. If we can't make them respect the pass they will put more guys in the box.

40. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Laremy Tunsil is a left tackle. Heck his initials are LT.

That said, he certainly didn't provide any real level of domination that was expected him and that he actually displayed his rookie year at LG. That said, I don't for a second worry about his physical talents as simply the effort and dedication that is needed to play the most fundamental driven position in the sport. Left tackle's need to be robotic in their consistency and technique......as do all OL but for obvious reason's it's most critical on the blindside.

In 2016 he had the benefit of extraordinary guidance from Brandon Albert and the fact that Mike Pouncey was on his other side for the first half the season didn't hurt either. Going into the season we we're debating whether or not LT was the most arguably the most talented player on our team along with only Suh who could rival that talent level.

What changed in 2017?.......well it's obvious. You would hope that Tunsil's effort level and dedication wouldn't change regardless of whether not you lost your franchise QB 4 weeks before the season started. It certainly did. I never thought at any point in the off season I would be looking back in disappointment on his sophomore season, especially since he was healthy for it.

Not having a QB worth protecting plays a part. A big part. Playing on a team in 2017 for a team that was essentially in a holding pattern until 2018 didn't help either.

If this FO deems that Orlando Brown Jr. possesses more talent and potential than Tunsil than I will be the first to tell you go ahead, pull the trigger and you could move Tunsil to LG. I just think a better natural combination would be Tunsil at LT and Q.Nelson at LG, assuming availability isn't a question as it's possible those 2 guys could go before we select although unlikely both are selected top 10.

I want to believe Tunsil is going to be the guy we expected because I am a Dolphins, I acknowledge that it's possible that might not happen. Devante Parker is in the same boat. At a certain point saying a guy was a 1st round pick no longer becomes a compliment.

But

No team can possibly improve more from 2017 to 2018 than we can, by adding one single player. Especially when that player is already property of the Dolphins.

Ray R likes this.