Adewale Ogunleye had NO LESS than FIVE SACKS tonight... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adewale Ogunleye had NO LESS than FIVE SACKS tonight...

As usual being at the game doesn't give you the best vantage point regarding alot of the game. If any part of the O-line needs a kick in the pants its the 2 Todds. I wouldn't go nuts about Ogunleye until he can do that against ist liners. Too many open areas in the run defense, give Chester the next 5 days off.See want Grant, Taylor, Romero and Atkins can do against some 1st liners so you have an idea of their real talent level. More exciting were the offensive schemes. While I detested the 1st screen, the second had Konrad coming back behind the LOS, pass routes underneath, crossing routes, even discovering the FB and TE.

Precisely minus thats why I say that Henry had some good hard running out there. He had a stacked deck in a lot of his plays and lost yardage in situations that he couldn't do anything about. But he was consistently falling forward, and consistently getting yardage AFTER first contact which was all too often in the offensive backfield. The 3rd string OL is what sucked. Henry looked quietly impressive to me and I do mean quietly...I think ya'll are getting a little too caught up in statistics for a preseason game.

I know when I was at the game the announcer called one of the Ogunleye plays that I tallied a "sack" a "stuff" Perhaps the QB was a bit over the line on one of the plays and I couldn't see it, but I was payin attention to the down and distance board so maybe thats why I had the wrong idea...the down and distance board commonly is off by a yard.

Admittedly the 2nd string offensive line was looking pretty good out there run blocking yet Travis Minor still averaged just 3 yards a carry....and then he FUMBLED on the GOAL LINE. You gotta realize that that is one of the worst things you can do aside from fumbling close to your own endzone...though in the end its the same thing because either way you are taking 7 points out of your team's hands. It was goal-to-go at the 1 yard line. We WOULD have scored...even if we just ran 2 more QB sneaks on 2nd and 3rd down. But instead Minor fumbled and took 7 points away from us. If he had fumbled on our own 1 yard line and the defense ran it in for a TD, that would pretty much be the same thing because either way, you've given up 7 points. You can't just say that Minor had a "good" game even though he did that. Admittedly, Minor most likely was not very prepared for a role as a between the tackles runner in goal-line situations BUT, thats still no excuse. I'm just glad with Ricky around, Minor will never see time in goal-to-go situations so long as Ricky's healthy. Not that I've given up on Minor, but I now know that he's probably not everything we thought he COULD have been last year when we were talkin about him being an every-down back and possibly being our back of the future. He's still a very good shake-n-bake type 3rd down back who can catch the ball (though he dropped an easy one last night) and run after the catch and run to the outside and in a less power oriented offense.

I think you might need to watch the tapes again man. I saw Brent get abused on at least 3 or 4 occasions. Not sacks mind you, but he allowed some pressures to go on. I think he let up a sack too. BUT, when the blitz rolled around he did very well. Yes Todd Wade did very badly too I noticed. And Todd Perry is owned by Warren Sapp a lot when Sapp sees Perry on that side.

Brent Smith was manhandled by McFarland.He did better agaisnt second unit DE but what mater is his play agaisnt top level.I wan't to see spriggs thrown in there with the first unit or just move Dixon to LT and bring on "The Beast" Nails..Dixon is way more athletic than smith and Smith was looking clumsy on those screens...

Spriggs is all but cut from this time. He's still injured and getting no playing time in scrimmages, training camps, or this preseason game. If he doesn't play against New Orleans (and so far I've heard NOTHING on the issue which is a bad sign) then I think we're going to HAVE to move Dixon over.

I don't think it was McFarland Smith was having trouble with. I believe it was Marcus Jones or Simeon Rice.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Spriggs is all but cut from this time. He's still injured and getting no playing time in scrimmages, training camps, or this preseason game. If he doesn't play against New Orleans (and so far I've heard NOTHING on the issue which is a bad sign) then I think we're going to HAVE to move Dixon over.

I don't think it was McFarland Smith was having trouble with. I believe it was Marcus Jones or Simeon Rice.

I thought I saw Mcfarland lined up as RE but I could be wrong...Well too bad Spriggs is still injured because I would like to see him get a chance...What you think about Perry ? He looked good on pass blocking but when it comes to run blocking , just doesn't impress me..

THat was Dixon McFarland was manhandling.

2. Special teams. NOT SHARP AS USUAL (though McGarrahan put a NICE hit on one guy). Not good returning, miscue on the first special teams play of the game leading to a TD.

It was Gamble. Trent Gamble crushed Lockett(#8).

pre season junk....................

O-GUN: i saw 5 sacks. on one of thr sacks though, i called it, but my friend i was watching the game with said he got back across. i havn't seen anything "official" about it yet. any way you look at it, 4-5 sacks in a pro game, aganst pro players, is big time!

i don't care what string guys it came from, it is still an awsome performance. did any of the bucs players get 4 or 5 sacks on us? nope. how many guys over the last 10 years or so have you seen in a regualr or pre season game get 4 or 5 sacks? you can count them on one hand. wally needs more time with the top unit.

remember, he was considered a probable top 10 draft choice before blowing that knee in his senior year. he is no fluke, dude has game. and if that one sack wan't indeed a sack, it was by centimeters that he missed it, the buc didn't get back ove the line by much.

WOULD THIS GAME have beena lot funner scoring 30 points and having ricky run for 50 yds on 5 carries? hell yes. but............

ZACH THOMAS said it all. at the end of the game he said, this was just supposed to be a run of the mill thing, we were suprised at everything they threw at us, and they threw a lot at us early. thats dissapointing. WE DID NOT GAME PLAN THIS THING AT ALL!! we have a lot of formations and tricks on both sidesw of the offense and defensive lines that we practice a lot and we be a big part of us this year. BUT WE WERE NOT GOING TO SHOW ANY OF IT THIS EARLY! [zach with a big smile].

it was clear, once again, that the emphasis was on NOT GHETTING INJURED over something meaningless. it seems ther was some sort of agreement beforehand to just make this a run aof the mill, let the rookies run around with there names on ther jersey's game, but the bucs decided to make gruden a hero in his debut [much to the annoyance of zach]. kinda like what spurior did to the 49ers, without running up the score.

NO BIG DEAL! it was obvious we were going to mail this one in with another game only three days away. again, I AM GLAD THE COACHES ARE NOT WANTING TO WASTE THE PLAYERS THIS YEAR! alot of emphasis on healthy players this year.

JAMAR FLETCHER: looked absolutely horendous against the run. knocked over by week stiff arms, consistantly blocked out of plays, looked very week.

LEONARD HENRY: did not impress me. he missed alot of cut back runs that were there for him. made no moves and just ran into the pile and fell down. YES, I HAVE A GAME TAPE and was up watching it again at 6:30 this morning.

TRAVIS MINOR: outside of the fumble, looked solid, albeit what kind of game it was. this is a guy with a lot of skills who could really thrive in norvs system. hope he stays around.

SETH MCKINNEY: looks like a great pic. dude plays like this is his 3rd year. holds up at the point of attack and gets great inside push. still may suprise and start on opening day. [no, iam not betting money on it]. but he is obviously the future and if ruddy goes down, he can do the job just fine.

ALBERT JOHNSON: gotta find a place for this guy. no real huge plays but you can tell what he has. had a coupe of plays catching the ball and a couple of good returns. [1st one was 40 plus yds]. showed upo more than sam "wheres my burger king application" sam simmons!

FIEDLER: over threw a wide open chambers down the sidline for what would have been a score by about 8 yds. then came back to him when he was covered and threw right into the buc defenders hands. i personaly think fiedler will miss more big plays than he will make, expecially with the long ball, but, he is rusty, coming off injury. benefit of the doubt at this point.

ROBERT BAKER: when will this kid get abreak. this is how he looked in his first couple of pre season games with us a few years back when he blew the knee. kid can catch the ball. as hard as he has worked, wanny should give hima shot with the top unit just so he can show if it's all for real.

ALL IN ALL, this was a write off game, and none of this, good or bad, means a thing. if we look like this in our third pre season game, we should worry a little. this game was nothing more than a glorified, full dress photo shoot.

WE'LL PUT A BOOT IN YOUR A$$, IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY!!

toby keith

Baker only had 1 catch this time last year in the game against the Bucs. It just happened to be the lucky 40 yard hail mary that won the game for us.

I'd give a better grade to Leonard Henry than to Travis Minor. Minor had good blocking, averaged 3 yards a carry even, and gave up 7 points to the opposition (when you fumble in a goal-to-go situation on the 1 yard line, thats what you're doing). At least Henry had some horrendous blocking to hide behind and got hit in the backfield too often, but he still fell forward and got yards after first contact...and he DIDN'T give 7 points to the other team.

Travis will have plenty of opportunities to blow Leonard Henry away in other games, so long as this fumble-at-the-exact-wrong-moment problem goes away. But in the Saints game, Robert Edwards will be gettin the load instead of Henry.

baker.....................

CKP wrote: "Baker only had 1 catch this time last year in the game against the Bucs. It just happened to be the lucky 40 yard hail mary that won the game for us".................

ROBET BAKER has been with us longer than one year, and i was not refering to the bucs game last year. i was refering to the pre season he had with us 3 years ago when in a two game stretch, he did the things he was doing last night and then blew the knee, missing the season.

he had problems and was slowed last year. looks like the old robert baker now!!

TRAVIS MINOR for sure needs to get his mental game a little sharper. he had that one real bad game last year when he got playing time at the end of the season and fumbled, and droped passes and really blew it, pizzing off the coaches at the same time.

i just think he is a better risk over the long haul than edwards. i was really rooting for edwards, but here again, he is injured. to many questions about him on the injury front and i would hate to lose a guy like minor taking that chance.

:monkey: on peter jennings!

courtesy of the red, white and blue.

I agree with Minus on Henry, he ran hard and got a lot of yards out of nothing..Offensive Line sucked tonight except Nails, Seth and Todd did a pretty decent job along with Ruddy. But there was no initial push fromt he OL on most running plays.. I don't like that 1/2 draw play we kept running on short yardage..When you have 3rd and 1 , burst in up in there..That delay handoff allows too many problems to occur.

Travis will have plenty of opportunities to blow Leonard Henry away in other games, so long as this fumble-at-the-exact-wrong-moment problem goes away. But in the Saints game, Robert Edwards will be gettin the load instead of Henry.

Provided he okay by then..he did say last night that he could have played in the game but the coaches wanted to wait..I would love to see him and Henry play all the 2nd half Thursday...This will give us a great evaluation of them.

Back
Top Bottom