AFC East and Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East and Miami Dolphins

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Not a lot to get excited about this year, but Miami could move up quickly in the AFC East over the next several years.

The NY Jets, despite spending like crazy in free agency, don't look much better than the Dolphins. Their defense is decent, but the offense is really, really bad. The game Darnold had on Monday night was one of the worst I've seen in 20 years or so. I'm scratching my head to come up with a worse quarterback performance. Four interceptions, a lost fumble, throwing off his back foot, seeing ghosts. Yikes. I realize New England has made a lot of quarterbacks look bad, but those are 1960-1970's type numbers when the defenses rules allowed that side of the ball to completely dominate. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets are looking for a new coach after this season as well. That would mean more changes, a new direction etc.

The Bills are playing well, but does Allen scare anyone? He shows flashes and still could develop, but he also could be the one key piece that holds the franchise back a little bit. Otherwise a pretty good team with currently the best chance to challenge New England.

Tom Brady and the Patriots look unstoppable. But Brady is 42 and said to want to play three more years. That puts him around 2022 if he doesn't change his mind.

Which leads me to Miami. If the Dolphins do indeed draft Tua, he could immediately be better than Darnold and Allen. A lot of pieces would need to be added around him, especially on the offensive line. But it's not inconceivable that the Dolphins could jump both Buffalo and New York fairly quickly.

I like the position we’re in moving forward, as long as we get the #1 pick and get Tua I’m hoping with Grier’s buddies aboard we can flip all those assets and cap money into a real solid foundation of talent..

Then it will be about how consistent they are at evaluating talent in the draft on whether or not we will compete for championships ..

I like the position we’re in moving forward, as long as we get the #1 pick and get Tua I’m hoping with Grier’s buddies aboard we can flip all those assets and cap money into a real solid foundation of talent..

Then it will be about how consistent they are at evaluating talent in the draft on whether or not we will compete for championships ..
Agree. In my opinion, I think there's a significant drop after Tua. Miss on him and it's Herbert, Burrow, Fromm or Love. Some good options, but not as exciting as Tua. I do have confidence that Flores will build the defense. A little more concerned about the offensive side of the ball.

Not a lot to get excited about this year, but Miami could move up quickly in the AFC East over the next several years.

The NY Jets, despite spending like crazy in free agency, don't look much better than the Dolphins. Their defense is decent, but the offense is really, really bad. The game Darnold had on Monday night was one of the worst I've seen in 20 years or so. I'm scratching my head to come up with a worse quarterback performance. Four interceptions, a lost fumble, throwing off his back foot, seeing ghosts. Yikes. I realize New England has made a lot of quarterbacks look bad, but those are 1960-1970's type numbers when the defenses rules allowed that side of the ball to completely dominate. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets are looking for a new coach after this season as well. That would mean more changes, a new direction etc.

The Bills are playing well, but does Allen scare anyone? He shows flashes and still could develop, but he also could be the one key piece that holds the franchise back a little bit. Otherwise a pretty good team with currently the best chance to challenge New England.

Tom Brady and the Patriots look unstoppable. But Brady is 42 and said to want to play three more years. That puts him around 2022 if he doesn't change his mind.

Which leads me to Miami. If the Dolphins do indeed draft Tua, he could immediately be better than Darnold and Allen. A lot of pieces would need to be added around him, especially on the offensive line. But it's not inconceivable that the Dolphins could jump both Buffalo and New York fairly quickly.

Now the other way Tua could also Bust like happens so often with QBs. Not to mntion there is what 3 maybe 4 players on your 53 man roster that really belong to be starters in the NFL

The Jets are poorly coached.

The Bills haven't beaten anyone. Think Dolphins 2009 and 2016. I think they're drafting another QB in 3-4 years.

Hard to predict where Miami will be in a couple years but the coaching staff is getting this minimally talented roster to play hard and is improving each week. They have to hit on the QB to have a chance to reach the top.

I keep reading that Brady is planning to retire after this season. Belichick will still be competitive regardless but they will not be dominant. It will be interesting to see how they go after a QB. I wonder if Bill would go out with him and hand the team over to McDaniels.

Now the other way Tua could also Bust like happens so often with QBs. Not to mntion there is what 3 maybe 4 players on your 53 man roster that really belong to be starters in the NFL
True on all accounts. It would require an excellent couple of drafts and Tua being the real deal. What's your thoughts on Allen? I like him, but wonder if he can become consistent enough.

The Jets are poorly coached.

The Bills haven't beaten anyone. Think Dolphins 2009 and 2016. I think they're drafting another QB in 3-4 years.

Hard to predict where Miami will be in a couple years but the coaching staff is getting this minimally talented roster to play hard and is improving each week. They have to hit on the QB to have a chance to reach the top.
Definitely feeling better about Flores and the coaching staff after the last two weeks. It was ugly before that in all respects. I think the Jets will have a new coach next year, maybe Williams since the defense isn't the problem there. Adam Gase is proving that he isn't a head coach in the NFL. I do feel a little for him because I thought he needed some time away from a head coaching position to really grow and figure out what he needed to change.

The quarterback situation in Buffalo is interesting. I try to think how I would feel if Allen was playing in Miami. I'd probably be somewhat encouraged, but it could turn out similar to Tannehill.

I keep reading that Brady is planning to retire after this season. Belichick will still be competitive regardless but they will not be dominant. It will be interesting to see how they go after a QB. I wonder if Bill would go out with him and hand the team over to McDaniels.
Rumors in the Bay Area is that Brady has always wanted to play for the 49ers. He grew up a San Francisco fan, went to Sierra HS in San Mateo (close to SF) so maybe there's truth to that. I thought he might retire last year after winning the super bowl. It's hard to go out on top, but obviously he loves the game and the refs really protect him more than any other quarterback I've seen.

We've been better than the Bills and Jets many years in the past but it never got us anywhere. Until Bellchick retires or becomes a Dolphins, we're fighting for scraps in the East.

The pats- I'm just waiting them out. it will end and we can all move on then.

Bills - good defense but that offense is very limited. They seem like a 7-9 win team but the soft schedule is masking their issues. Only play 1 maybe 2 teams with winning records all year. Allen has struggled for long stretches and could be their Achilles heel going forward.

The jets - Sam Darnold is a talented QB with a clueless coaching staff that could care less about helping him. The clock is ticking on Gase and wether it is this year or next they will be looking elsewhere for coaches and Darnold may be dead before then.

As for us... If we are smart spending the cap (buying 10-12 players, not 4-5) and hit those picks and get the qb. In 3 years we could be a dominant team. We just have to be patient and let things develop

Yeah agree with this, everyone assumes he’s going to be elite in the nfl. Just cause he’s the best prospect doesn’t guarantee anything in the nfl.

Agree. In my opinion, I think there's a significant drop after Tua. Miss on him and it's Herbert, Burrow, Fromm or Love. Some good options, but not as exciting as Tua. I do have confidence that Flores will build the defense. A little more concerned about the offensive side of the ball.

Joe Burrow looks more like a potential prize than a consolation.

My concern for possibly having the 2nd overall pick instead of the 1st has gradually subsided and is turning into guarded intrigue.

Our HC and OC have spent the last 10+ years watching Tom Brady do his thing in the NFL. Burrow might be more their style of QB.

Keep an open mind, at least until November 9th (LSU @ Alabama). Anyone not watching that game better be in hospital, at a wedding or at a funeral.

As far as our division goes, odds are in our favor moving forward.

NE's past has no bearing on our future.

Buffalo and NYJ - I am not concerned with their "foundations". They will be rebuilding in the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Give me a tall smart accurate pocket passer for my franchise quarterback. Anything else is candy and sugar. Give me meat and potatoes.

Joe Burrow looks more like a potential prize than a consolation.

My concern for possibly having the 2nd overall pick instead of the 1st has gradually subsided and is turning into guarded intrigue.

Our HC and OC have spent the last 10+ years watching Tom Brady do his thing in the NFL. Burrow might be more their style of QB.

Keep an open mind, at least until November 9th (LSU @ Alabama). Anyone not watching that game better be in hospital, at a wedding or at a funeral.

As far as our division goes, odds are in our favor moving forward.

NE's past has no bearing on our future.

Buffalo and NYJ - I am not concerned with their "foundations". They will be rebuilding in the next 2-3 years.

Based on no evidence, I think will focus on a SMART QB. Yeah, he must be athletic, but he's seen what a smart QB can do. Who that is, I have no idea

Back
Top Bottom