AFC East Strength | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East Strength

GreenMachine said:
Well, It will matter again the next time those teams play this year...

Hope so. Whether Buffalo and/or Miami is still in the race at the point we'll have to see.

I also think the AFC West is the toughest. I was just bringing the point that I hope analysts, or those NFL "Pundits" are realizing that every team in the AFC East has a quality win against an opponent and are all playing at a high level right now. I don't think none of that was expected. With the Jets vying for the AFC East title and the other 3 teams (other than NE) being invovled in the Playoff Race it noteworthy in my opinion.

I hope the teams in the division continue to get better. Just looking at it from a coaches standpoint I think we can predict that it will only get tougher. The quality of coaches our division has really is awesome.

rdhstlr23 said:
Hope so. Whether Buffalo and/or Miami is still in the race at the point we'll have to see.

I also think the AFC West is the toughest. I was just bringing the point that I hope analysts, or those NFL "Pundits" are realizing that every team in the AFC East has a quality win against an opponent and are all playing at a high level right now. I don't think none of that was expected. With the Jets vying for the AFC East title and the other 3 teams (other than NE) being invovled in the Playoff Race it noteworthy in my opinion.

I hope the teams in the division continue to get better. Just looking at it from a coaches standpoint I think we can predict that it will only get tougher. The quality of coaches our division has really is awesome.

The AFC West is probably the toughest division now but the east will be equally as tough next year. They all have three teams that could go deep into the playoffs but each team in our division is getting better by the week and the Pats have two 1st round picks next year which means they would only get better. Oakland dosen't look like their getting any better any time soon either.

rdhstlr23 said:

I'd agree the AFC East is a tough division. My Patriots have won a lot of division games, but they have all been tough. If early in the season the division teams build up quite a few losses, a lot of them were against other division teams. For some reason, we wound up playing each other early a lot. To finish of the season, the Patriots have the Dolphins, Texans, Jaguars and Titans. I'm most worried about the Dolphins.

Another oddity is that we have a lot of head coaches falling from the Parcells tree. This makes for tough defenses and more than a little smashmouth, a style that does well in January. I know Dolphins fans are fond of the Marino era, and the Bills fans remember Kelly well, but speed based passing teams tend to struggle in the playoffs. When the AFC had all those great quarterbacks in the 80s and 90s, the NFC was building strong lines, and won 13 consecutive Super Bowls. Smashmouth wins in January. No matter which team crawls to the top of the regular season division standings, I can see us doing well.

Strong lines. That's where the Jets and Dolphins might still have a bit of growing to do. The Patriots spent 3 first round draft picks getting monsters for their defensive line. That is one area where the rest of the division has a bit of catching up to do, that and franchise quarterbacks are hard to find.

But I'm glad most of the division schedule is behind us. Really, I am.

Pats Fan here. First post – long time lurker.

Interesting question. With the help of SirDrums http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=173172

By tabulating the power rankings from the 14 given sources (CBS, DrZ etc. ) and assigning 1 to the highest ranking team and 32 to the lowest a measure of the conventional wisdom can be made (fewest points, highest ranking)

AFC W 817
AFC E 851
AFC S 864
AFC N 881
NFC E 894
NFC S 1071
NFC N 1266
NFC W 1275

The teams current combined rankings

NE 4 BAL 6 IND 2 SD 1
NYJ 13 CIN 9 JAK 9 KC 11
BUF 21 PIT 19 TEN 20 DEN 13