After watching last nights game it appears we should draft... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After watching last nights game it appears we should draft...

I'm a Virginia fan and have been a big Chris Long fan since he started breaking into the team. He's going to be a very good DE in this league, I'm sure of that. But as far as speed, he's listed at 4.75 but I honestly don't think he's that fast. He's not slow, but he's no Freakish speedster. I expect him to run a 4.85 at the combine. But he is relentless, strong, quick, fairly fast, very good at reading plays, and his motor just never quits. If the lineman(men) make even one mistake, Long makes the play, he always punishes mistakes.

Looking at the NY Giants defense it played a bit like the Dallas Cowboys defense in that they had a lot of big fast athletes flying at the QB. If that's any indication of how Parland (Parcells/Ireland) are going to build our defense, I think they might opt for players even faster than Long, and certainly faster than Dorsey--who is neither an NT nor a DE in the 3-4. Someone like the UM monster Calais would be a typical Parland pick at the top of round 2, if he's there.

If we cannot trade down, I expect Jake Long to be the pick. LT's are very hard to find and command very high salaries, and since I do not believe Parland rates Ryan high enough to take at #1, and Dorsey isn't really a good fit for the 3-4, I expect it to be Jake Long if we stay at #1.

Sorry but I am all for a suffocating Defense above all.
There are plenty of teams that have shown a decent o line with "some" ability to move the ball combined with a stingy "D" can not just win but win big.
Ravens, Bucs, Bears all did it with that same strategy. All had some things in common, Active DT's, speedy LB's, bring tremendous pressure on the QB. None of them had what I would call a world class Offense either.

The blueprint has been out there for awhile. Problem is that many teams just don't have the horses on the defensive line or the balls at the coordinator position to use it properly.

The Giants have both.

We have the horses we just dont have the bull, and thats why Dorsey would be the perfect fit. We didnt have such a big problem with our ends, the problem was mainly our tackles they couldnt keep other teams linemen away from our linebackers, so why should we pick Long when we have a bigger need for a tackle.

I disagree I believe after watching the game it proves we need to draft Jake Long because it showed me that even with a qb of Bradys caliber with out a great offensive line protecting him its hard to win a championship. LT is the most important position on the field if you have a right handed qb and LTs like Jake Long dont come around that often while there are great defensive linemen in every single draft

But its not our biggest problem, your analysis is maybe correct but our d-line is hurting more than our o-line!!!

Back
Top Bottom