Age missing | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Age missing

inFINSible said:
:dunno:

I'll find out but, It's not a big deal, is it?
No its not, I just wondered where it went.

As a more serious reply to this thread...... Im kinda glad the age thing is here. I know this is stereotyping and all, but sometimes I read threads that to me are ridiculous and then I see the posters age is 15-18 and I let it fly because when I was that age, I didnt know as much as I do now about football, the salary cap, rules, formations, and stuff like that. On the other hand, when I read a post suggesting we seriously move Zach Thomas to SS and its made by a 41 year old or when I see a 38 year old bickering about someones opinion, it makes me smack my head. :smackhead

Also I think its good for places like the PoFo and the lounge and the draft forum. Its funny to hear the scouting reviews of 15 year olds sound like they are Mel Kiper and they have been watching these players for years...... and somehow manage to stay in highscool. For example, when I participate in the occasional car thread in the lounge, I love the review comments from the 15-17 year old bracket when in some states they are not old enough to drive, yet they are going to chime in with their opinion on how a car handles etc. Something like that is something you usually get from experience and the validity of someones post IMO should somewhat depend on the age of a poster. If you didnt see their age, you might actually take their post seriously but once you know their age, their opinion is somewhat minimized.

Again, im aware this is being an ageist and stereotyping but stereotypes exist for a reason and if people are actually taking peoples opinions seriously, I think a posters age does shed some light or give a tiny hint of credibility to questionable posts..... hence why I like everyone to see I am 3. :lol:

Then again, people might have their opinion summarily dismissed by age-bigots for no reason other than they haven't spent as many days on this planet as everyone else.

I think a post should be judged on it's content and accuracy, not on the age of the poster.

inFINSible said:
Then again, people might have their opinion summarily dismissed by age-bigots for no reason other than they haven't spent as many days on this planet as everyone else.

I think a post should be judged on it's content and accuracy, not on the age of the poster.

I agree and I pointed out that I know its wrong. However in certain aspects on the board, a few that I pointed out, age is relevant in determining credibility of certain posts pertaining to subjects. In other forums I agree, age shouldnt matter because I have read posts that I thought were silly posted by 17 and 41 year olds, so age isnt the deciding factor.

Over the past year, I have seen first hand people take peoples opinions seriously here on matters other than football. I will use me for example. Im a semi-car-nerd and I always chime in at the car threads in the lounge. I have given a few people car advice when they were car shopping because I have autocrossed a wide range of cars and I think I know a little more about automobiles than your general poster. A few posters and I even had a little more in-depth convos about cars and on more than 1 occasion I have endorsed and given them a little more info on cars they were considering and ended up buying. Say I was really 15 and was BSing my opinion on the boards and someone took me seriously when truthfully there was no way I could have autocrossed numerous cars and owned numerous cars at my age, I could have negatively swayed someones opinion on a car and led them to a bad financial decision. Im sure its also the original posters fault if he takes someones opinion seriously without double checking himself if they were telling the truth or not and I would expect them to do so when making an important decision like buying a car or something along that matter.

Im sure this isnt the only case and you are correct, Im sure in a lot of posts age doesnt matter and Im sure there are the 30+ year old age-bigots who dont value or respect the opinion of other posters based on their age alone.

Just wanted to point out some of the benefits of actually posting peoples ages. :wink:

Also, as I recall, age was optional so you could show it or couldnt. Posters have the option to show their age or not so if a poster feels he might be stereotyped against because of his age, he simply doesnt show it.

inFINSible said:

I thought you said it wasn't a big deal. :confused:

Nublar7 said:
I thought you said it wasn't a big deal. :confused:
Yes, it's not a big deal to me whether the age is there or not. Why are you confused?

inFINSible said:
Yes, it's not a big deal to me whether the age is there or not. Why are you confused?
Just because in one post you said it isn't a big deal, then in another you were giving off reasons not to have it.

Nublar7 said:
Just because in one post you said it isn't a big deal, then in another you were giving off reasons not to have it.

Okay, I can see how you'd be confused but, it is possible to have an opinion about something yet, not feel that it is a big deal.

It's a tightrope but somehow I make it work.:wink:

Sooo, can we have the age thing back.:rolleyes:

Not as a tool to stereotype, more as a demographic "Warm and Fuzzy:cuddle: Meter".

Just as it is nice to see where people are from, it is nice to see what era they are from.
Actually it intrigues me too see how mature some 16-25 year olds are and quite the opposite from people in the 35-45 age group (At almost 41 I know I am about as mature as Barney).
If it is up for popular vote, I vote YES show the age.:soapbox:

Okay, I am done. Go easy on me inFINS

Wharf already said he'd restore it....Trust me, it's fine with me...I was just playing devil's advocate with Philter.....it's not a big deal. :)

Wharfy had his admin license revoked for modding under the influence... but I just turned it back on.

It wasn't a policy decision to turn it off, by the way... it was turned off during the crazyness that was a few weeks ago in order to squeeze every last ounce of power out of the server.

Back
Top Bottom