Agent: Hickey was the brains of the Bucs organization/Dodged a bullet with Dawson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Agent: Hickey was the brains of the Bucs organization/Dodged a bullet with Dawson

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-4-new-starters-dolphins-um-heat-chatter.html

One respected NFL agent said Hickey has never been stumped when the agent mentioned obscure players to him, but that happened several times with Tennessee’s Lake Dawson, who rejected the Dolphins job. “Hickey is very knowledgeable and thorough, way better than Dawson,” the agent said. “I always felt he was the brains behind Tampa’s organization.”

Respected agent, so I assume we can cross David Canter off that list.

Lake Dawson was not really qualified for this gig was he?

Dawson really concerned me when they announced the finalists. Glad he didn't get the job. I was not very impressed with Tennessee drafting/FA track record and his resume looked very unimpressive. I liked Xanders the most of the others that interviewed but Hickey had the most experience and seemed qualified.

No matter how much or how little Hickey did for the Tampa Bay Buc's over the years, that is in the past.
Hopefully he already has a eye on some players that will solidify our team and hopefully find a few future pro bowl players.
He is our GM. We should give him full support for a couple of years and see what he can do with this team.
I wanted Xanders as well, but Hickey is a experienced NFL man and he did some good things in TB.

Hickey was the brains of the organization that went 28-52...great.

This can't be true because he only waited on the "actual" GM those 18 years

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Take a look at their players - particularly the past 3 darfts -> Look at our freakin roster -> nuff said.....

There isn't much excitement about the Hickey choice, but if you believe the Philbin / Lazor combo can succeed then he a good choice. I am sure Hickey will identify the type of players Joe wants and make solid choices. I don't believe he can create lightning in a bottle tho.

He may be the brains of the Bucs, but we drafted better under Ireland than the Bucs did, so I'm not particularly excited. Who knows, maybe this tiger will change his stripes and start drafting impactful OL ... but I haven't seen it in the many previous drafts he's had.

Considering that the Buccs had a worse record than Ireland's Dolphins during that time span, I don't think it's any consolation for us that he was the "brains" behind that mediocre operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the greatest "brain" of any organization personnel-wise, would have a difficult time producing a winning record under QB's that fall off the shelf in their play (Freeman) and ridiculous coaching (schiano). especially if their "brains" are limited to scouting talent. you can put together all the strong rosters you'd like, bad QB play and crappy coaching will spell a losing record year in and year out.

the greatest "brain" of any organization personnel-wise, would have a difficult time producing a winning record under QB's that fall off the shelf in their play (Freeman) and ridiculous coaching (schiano). especially if their "brains" are limited to scouting talent. you can put together all the strong rosters you'd like, bad QB play and crappy coaching will spell a losing record year in and year out.
And you can distill that down even further to the QB only, and say that brilliant coaching and GM work very likely won't overcome inadequate QB play.

To be fair, He never had decision making authority, so we don't really know what to credit him with or criticize him for. Also, Tampa beat us and I was impressed with the talent on that team....they also won a superbowl a lot more recently than we did.
My impressions of Tampa this year was a talented team with a coaching problem.

I've seen enough of these types of comments to be thoroughly confused about the general opinions of Hickey as GM....some like him and some don't. See these types of comments all over the place about the other candidates as well.

Right now, I'm thrilled Hickey is in place and getting down to work. I'll have a better opinion (good or bad) after the next 5 months.

The Bucs had talented players just poor coaching.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ok let's point this out again. Hickey was not the head coach of the Bucs. Hickey was not the GM ok are you with me so far? Ok, now that that is understood let's move on. Hickey was involved with locating talent and advising the Bucs with that talent and helping with drafting the right players. That being said I believe the players he evaluated and helped draft led to a super bowl and many players were pro bowlers so you can't blame him for their record. Now let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt now that he is in a position that allows him to make the decisions of a GM.

Back
Top Bottom