Ahmad Brooks dismissed from team. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ahmad Brooks dismissed from team.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Ck -

What do you mean that several teams said they wanted to draft Manuel Wright but Miami got him? Wouldnt Miami have gotten him at #2 (presuming that was their weighted slot) the minute they said they wanted him, and assuming that SF passed on him at #1 (presuming that was their weighted slot) no other team could claim him? I am confused? Ex. If Miami passed, but another team further down in any round said they wanted him, are you saying Miami could pipe up and say, oh, yeah now we want him since so-and-so said they wanted him, etc. If so, interesting...quess that would make sense like bluffing in poker, if it meant Miami would have had to use a draft pick sooner than the 5th if that was the case.

Also, about Brooks, if Miami is presumed to be weighted at #16 this year, what makes you think we can get him over other teams, and if so, what supplemental round do you think we get him at?

CK -

Bump so this can be explained further if you get the chance...thanks

Ehh I say we keep on letting him gain wait. He is the next Keith Traylor! JP..It looks as if he is still on the team

Dolphins_SR66 said:
CK -

Bump so this can be explained further if you get the chance...thanks

The way the supplemental draft works is exactly like the regular draft only teams don't have to make picks and if they do make a pick they forfeit their own pick in that round the following year (even if the following year their own pick ends up higher/lower than the previous year).

To clarify, here's an example. Last year the supplemental draft started and San Francisco had the 1st pick in the 1st round (selection order is identical to the actual draft held several months earlier in April). Just like April where SF had the 1st pick, they had the 1st pick in the supplemental draft. They chose to pass and not use a 1st round pick on any prospects. The Dolphins then had the 2nd pick and also passed. Every team in the 1st round passed. Every team passed in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round. I don't remember what the draft order was in the 5th round last year. But, San Francisco passed when it was their chance. Then, assuming Miami was next, they submitted a request and got Manny Wright because he was still available. By using a 5th round pick, we forfeited our 5th in the following draft (2006).

caneaddict said:
The way the supplemental draft works is exactly like the regular draft only teams don't have to make picks and if they do make a pick they forfeit their own pick in that round the following year (even if the following year their own pick ends up higher/lower than the previous year).

To clarify, here's an example. Last year the supplemental draft started and San Francisco had the 1st pick in the 1st round (selection order is identical to the actual draft held several months earlier in April). Just like April where SF had the 1st pick, they had the 1st pick in the supplemental draft. They chose to pass and not use a 1st round pick on any prospects. The Dolphins then had the 2nd pick and also passed. Every team in the 1st round passed. Every team passed in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round. I don't remember what the draft order was in the 5th round last year. But, San Francisco passed when it was their chance. Then, assuming Miami was next, they submitted a request and got Manny Wright because he was still available. By using a 5th round pick, we forfeited our 5th in the following draft (2006).

Ok, thats what I would have thought, but again, CK used the term that "several folks" submitted the request to grab Wright in the 5th. So how can that be if Miami said they wanted him, how or why would others make a claim after Miami did? Is this a mail in type situation and or electronic submission and no one knows when teams in front of them actually submit the same player in a given round and may have already taken that same player?

I was only confused by language of "several teams" grabbed Wright but Miami got him because they were the first in draft order. Thats all. No biggie.

He's a first round talent with a 7th round attitude. His personality would cause me to spend no more than a 3rd on him and that might be high. I would feel better if we picked him up with a 4th. He's got too many issues to feel comfortable with

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Ok, thats what I would have thought, but again, CK used the term that "several folks" submitted the request to grab Wright in the 5th. So how can that be if Miami said they wanted him, how or why would others make a claim after Miami did? Is this a mail in type situation and or electronic submission and no one knows when teams in front of them actually submit the same player in a given round and may have already taken that same player?

I was only confused by language of "several teams" grabbed Wright but Miami got him because they were the first in draft order. Thats all. No biggie.

Exactly. Teams don't actually sit around waiting for their picks. They submit a request to take a player at a certain spot. However, the NFL considers the requests in order so they handle it like a draft. That's why several teams may have requested him in the 5th.

I would imagine if Ahmad Brooks shows he's in shape and isn't a mental case, ALOT of teams will put in 2nd round requests for him. Not sure if any will give up a 1st. However, if he is still not in shape by the time the supplemental draft comes or he shows a lack of effort then he could definitely slide.

caneaddict said:
Exactly. Teams don't actually sit around waiting for their picks. They submit a request to take a player at a certain spot. However, the NFL considers the requests in order so they handle it like a draft. That's why several teams may have requested him in the 5th.

I would imagine if Ahmad Brooks shows he's in shape and isn't a mental case, ALOT of teams will put in 2nd round requests for him. Not sure if any will give up a 1st. However, if he is still not in shape by the time the supplemental draft comes or he shows a lack of effort then he could definitely slide.

Thanks...I understand it fully now. It could all be moot over Brooks cause I cant find a definative clear answer as to whether he is "officially" dismissed from the team. But if it turns out he is...a 2nd is likely, and it comes down to if any of the 15 teams in front also think he is a 2nd rounder value.

He was dismissed for a failed drug abuse it seems.

Still I would spend a 2nd round supplemental pick on him. If he had stayed healthy he would of been a top 10 pick this year and been competing with AJ Hawk for top linebacker.

He would be a steal in the 2nd round.

Back
Top Bottom