Ahmad Brooks dismissed from team. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ahmad Brooks dismissed from team.

I think he would be worth a look in the suplimental draft, but it depends on who we draft and what we do in FA

As long as the off-field incident isn't Marcus Vick-ish, I would think that someone would nab him in the first round of the supplemental draft. Maybe San Francisco.

Pocoloco said:
As long as the off-field incident isn't Marcus Vick-ish, I would think that someone would nab him in the first round of the supplemental draft. Maybe San Francisco.

I have to agree...especially since the Supplemental Draft is held in June/July and by then the music will have stopped and some teams will be left without a chair and need an ILB will focus on Brooks. If the 49ers can't re-sign that one ILB of theirs they could target Brooks...although you have to consider for teams picking that high they may be thinking that a first rounder is just too much to give up because that first rounder next year could be a top 10 selection.

i dunno about brooks. he has some off the field issues, to put it "blunt"ly, if you get my drift, and is a quarter pounder away from 280.

PhinsRDbest said:
Thanks CK. Do you or Boomer think that he can play that position that Junior is leaving or that Julian Peterson would play if he signed or is Brooks just an inside linebaker I know he has great size.

If he's at 245 and not 279 as he was at one stage last season and he is re-focused, then he could be staggeringly good. He needs to clear his head, mature quickly and work out whats best for his life. But he's too good a talent just to let that skill go to waste.

I think the only way the Phins can land him is if some very serious things come out about his off field behavior or his work ethic/attitude.

Otherwise, if he gets in shape and shows teams that he's in shape prior to the supplemental draft then I can't see the Phins getting him.

I don't see Saban using a 1st on him (unless he just BLOWS people away by the great shape he's gotten himself back into AND has amazing interviews etc.) Otherwise, most likely, teams will all offer a 2nd for him. I can't imagine 15 teams passing and not offering even a 2nd (which is what it would take for us to get him).

Apparently the draft order is the same as the regular draft and no longer a weighted random lottery. See the following article and scroll down to the paragraph that starts 'nowadays'.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

ckparrothead said:
It's run by email or phone or something real time. A draft order is set, based on a weighted lottery according to the real draft order. In other words if you have the #1 selection order in the real draft, you have the best chance of having the #1 selection order...but not an absolute chance of it, because it is a weighted lottery.

Once the lottery sets the draft order, they go round by round asking teams if they choose to draft anyone in that round. Last year, nobody said yes they will draft someone until Round 5, when the Dolphins and a few other teams said they'd draft Manuel Wright, DT from USC...and since the Dolphins had the highest selection order among those teams, we got him.

BTW, if Ahmad Brooks goes into the Supplemental Draft that would be one heck of a boom for us.

thanks a lot more helpful. What would our chances be to pick him up then? and when is the supplemenatry draft take place? this can be one hell of a pick up. what would be the rd given up for him?

ckparrothead said:
It's run by email or phone or something real time. A draft order is set, based on a weighted lottery according to the real draft order. In other words if you have the #1 selection order in the real draft, you have the best chance of having the #1 selection order...but not an absolute chance of it, because it is a weighted lottery.

Once the lottery sets the draft order, they go round by round asking teams if they choose to draft anyone in that round. Last year, nobody said yes they will draft someone until Round 5, when the Dolphins and a few other teams said they'd draft Manuel Wright, DT from USC...and since the Dolphins had the highest selection order among those teams, we got him.

BTW, if Ahmad Brooks goes into the Supplemental Draft that would be one heck of a boom for us.

Ck -

What do you mean that several teams said they wanted to draft Manuel Wright but Miami got him? Wouldnt Miami have gotten him at #2 (presuming that was their weighted slot) the minute they said they wanted him, and assuming that SF passed on him at #1 (presuming that was their weighted slot) no other team could claim him? I am confused? Ex. If Miami passed, but another team further down in any round said they wanted him, are you saying Miami could pipe up and say, oh, yeah now we want him since so-and-so said they wanted him, etc. If so, interesting...quess that would make sense like bluffing in poker, if it meant Miami would have had to use a draft pick sooner than the 5th if that was the case.

Also, about Brooks, if Miami is presumed to be weighted at #16 this year, what makes you think we can get him over other teams, and if so, what supplemental round do you think we get him at?

Here is a nice read on Brooks

Ahmad Brooks:
Great size, speed, jumping ability, and athleticism - the whole package when it comes to physical attributes. Terrific coverage and pass rushing skills. Sideline to sideline type of linebacker that can chase down the fastest of running backs and cover TEs and RBs well. Very hard hitting while being a good wrap-up tackler as well. Good at stuffing the run up the middle. Trained in the 3-4 scheme under Al Groh (former Parcells/Belichick protege) so should be able to come in and start immediately for any 3-4 team. With his speed, athleticism and pass rush skills, should be able to handle any LB spot inside or outside. Can take over a game with his defensive play.
I would love to see him playing for the Dolphins.:dolphins:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] NCAA | Brooks still on the Virginia team
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:31:46 -0800

Jeff White, of the Times-Dispatch, reports University of Virginia officials said Friday, Feb. 17, that star LB Ahmad Brooks is still on the school's football team. A report had been published by a web site devoted to University of Virginia sports that Brooks has been dismissed from the team and would try to play in the NFL this season. In an email to the Times-Dispatch, Virginia athletic director Craig Littlepage said, "Ahmad's eligibility to participate has not changed." However, a source close to the football program expressed surprise that head coach Al Groh had said Brooks was still on the team.
[/FONT]

Juan Cribbs said:
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] NCAA | Brooks still on the Virginia team
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:31:46 -0800

Jeff White, of the Times-Dispatch, reports University of Virginia officials said Friday, Feb. 17, that star LB Ahmad Brooks is still on the school's football team. A report had been published by a web site devoted to University of Virginia sports that Brooks has been dismissed from the team and would try to play in the NFL this season. In an email to the Times-Dispatch, Virginia athletic director Craig Littlepage said, "Ahmad's eligibility to participate has not changed." However, a source close to the football program expressed surprise that head coach Al Groh had said Brooks was still on the team.
[/FONT]

interesting..

i would love to give a second or third round pick for him, just imagine or linebackers if we get greenway and him with crowder and zach .....scary

Since its a lottery type thing and we are 16th overall, we have a decent chance of landing anywhere between 10 and 20

What round pick you think we would have to give up

Alex22 said:
Since its a lottery type thing and we are 16th overall, we have a decent chance of landing anywhere between 10 and 20

What round pick you think we would have to give up

It's NOT a lottery. It's based on your exact draft position in the April draft. It used to be a weighted lottery but now it's just the exact draft order.

Oh and if he doesn't have extreme off field issues and shows teams he's back in shape before the supplemental draft, there's no way he falls beyond the 2nd round.

Back
Top Bottom