Ahmad Brooks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ahmad Brooks

FerrisBueller

Danish Phin Fan
Reaction score
Does anybody know any news about this guy? Is he going to be in the supplemental draft this year?? And would you consider spending a future pick on him? I like him, I think he could be a beast at ILB or OLB...

i don't know anything new, but i think that he will declare fot the supplemental draft and i hope that we can get him with a 3rd or 4th round pick, he is a great talent and deserves a chance, now that i read so much about him, i really hope he ends up with us, he can play all lb positions and has very good speed and makes plays all over the field...

Montella said:
i don't know anything new, but i think that he will declare fot the supplemental draft and i hope that we can get him with a 3rd or 4th round pick, he is a great talent and deserves a chance, now that i read so much about him, i really hope he ends up with us, he can play all lb positions and has very good speed and makes plays all over the field...

Yeah no doubt, I hear good things on this guy as far as a football player, as far as draft picks,A high pick, let's just say I hope we get him like Wright with a 5th pick.

i would consider spending a 2nd rounder on him. he can really fill the olb holes for years

i would only give up a third for him.im kind of sick of us giving up our second:lol:

We were discussing Ahmad in the VIP. I was asked whether I thought Nick would spend a 1 or a 2 on him.

"I don't know and as I won't be part of the evaluation process, then it's impossible to say.

But I would want answers on the following:

* How is the weight issue?
Brooks has ballooned weight at times, especially last year. Can he keep that under control? What is the reason for that? He allegedly only did 3 weeks of work pre-season last year. Why?

* How are the injuries?
As a junior he struggled mighitly with knee, ankle and back problems. You'd want the most stringent tests possible to make sure he was OK. The right knee specifically, after that bone growth regeneration and the cyst removal.

* How is he mentally?
The REAL story has yet to come out with regards his indiscretions. Drugs and disappearing for days on end only to return with no excuse or reason as to where he was, are what's been mentioned, but I suspect there's much more to it than that. Just how much more? That's what I'd want to know. He WAS charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession in 2003 and received six months probation, and the charge was later dropped. But what else?

Then in August '04, he then missed two practices to deal with "personal issues," and spent the preseason and the first game as a backup to Rich Bedesem, for reasons the University has never explained. One Virginia reporter said: "one former U.Va. defensive starter said Brooks always seemed to be dealing with a personal issue, but Groh kept the issues private."

There were strong rumours about his commitment level and his lack of conditioning, as I mentioned. As the same Virginia reporter said: "No one would just dismiss a player from a team for just one incident. For coach Groh to make such a harsh decision, it had to come from a lot of different events."

But that risk/reward that I mentioned.......wow. USA Today Defensive Player of the Year in high school, Butkus Finalist as a SOPHOMORE, the ability to play MLB, WLB and SLB in a 4-3 and a 3-4 as a three down defender. I liked Daryl Blackstock as a very good linebacker coming out last year, but every time I tried to grade him, I was just blown away by Brooks. Just a phenomenal player. 6-4, 258, alleged 4.47 speed (that's college ranking sped, but even then you're looking at 4.67), can make plays on the perimeter, works off blocks, works through trash, gets really good depth on his drops, can blitz off the edge - I've seen him line up as a defensive end at times - can cover a back or a TE and just has an inate ability to be around the ball. I remember seeing him as a freshman against Florida and he was absolutely staggering. Aggressive, about 12 tackles, guy was everywhere. And then watched the Bowl game against Pitt to get my last look at Larry Fitzgerald, he had a sack, a pick, he was flying all over the place.....you just can't quantify talent like that, instinct like that. And I tell you what else he does....he intimidates. He has THAT ability to take over a game because of his sheer prescence, the way Ray Lewis could at the very height of his talent.

No word of a lie, people complained because he was almost TOO athletic for the Cavs because he WANTED to make every play, make every tackle, as well as doing his own job, which he did anyway.

Like I said, if I got that straightened out and was absolutely convinced of his personality and his health and his commitment, then you'd be left with a very difficult decision."

Boomer said:
We were discussing Ahmad in the VIP. I was asked whether I thought Nick would spend a 1 or a 2 on him.

"I don't know and as I won't be part of the evaluation process, then it's impossible to say.

But I would want answers on the following:

* How is the weight issue?
Brooks has ballooned weight at times, especially last year. Can he keep that under control? What is the reason for that? He allegedly only did 3 weeks of work pre-season last year. Why?

* How are the injuries?
As a junior he struggled mighitly with knee, ankle and back problems. You'd want the most stringent tests possible to make sure he was OK. The right knee specifically, after that bone growth regeneration and the cyst removal.

* How is he mentally?
The REAL story has yet to come out with regards his indiscretions. Drugs and disappearing for days on end only to return with no excuse or reason as to where he was, are what's been mentioned, but I suspect there's much more to it than that. Just how much more? That's what I'd want to know. He WAS charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession in 2003 and received six months probation, and the charge was later dropped. But what else?

Then in August '04, he then missed two practices to deal with "personal issues," and spent the preseason and the first game as a backup to Rich Bedesem, for reasons the University has never explained. One Virginia reporter said: "one former U.Va. defensive starter said Brooks always seemed to be dealing with a personal issue, but Groh kept the issues private."

There were strong rumours about his commitment level and his lack of conditioning, as I mentioned. As the same Virginia reporter said: "No one would just dismiss a player from a team for just one incident. For coach Groh to make such a harsh decision, it had to come from a lot of different events."

But that risk/reward that I mentioned.......wow. USA Today Defensive Player of the Year in high school, Butkus Finalist as a SOPHOMORE, the ability to play MLB, WLB and SLB in a 4-3 and a 3-4 as a three down defender. I liked Daryl Blackstock as a very good linebacker coming out last year, but every time I tried to grade him, I was just blown away by Brooks. Just a phenomenal player. 6-4, 258, alleged 4.47 speed (that's college ranking sped, but even then you're looking at 4.67), can make plays on the perimeter, works off blocks, works through trash, gets really good depth on his drops, can blitz off the edge - I've seen him line up as a defensive end at times - can cover a back or a TE and just has an inate ability to be around the ball. I remember seeing him as a freshman against Florida and he was absolutely staggering. Aggressive, about 12 tackles, guy was everywhere. And then watched the Bowl game against Pitt to get my last look at Larry Fitzgerald, he had a sack, a pick, he was flying all over the place.....you just can't quantify talent like that, instinct like that. And I tell you what else he does....he intimidates. He has THAT ability to take over a game because of his sheer prescence, the way Ray Lewis could at the very height of his talent.

No word of a lie, people complained because he was almost TOO athletic for the Cavs because he WANTED to make every play, make every tackle, as well as doing his own job, which he did anyway.

Like I said, if I got that straightened out and was absolutely convinced of his personality and his health and his commitment, then you'd be left with a very difficult decision."

from what you said about his concerns and good values id give up a third for him or maybe a second

I'd give up a second for him. This guy is incredible.

I honestly think it would take at least a second to get him. He has a ton of injury and personal problems though (as Boomer has already detailed better than I could have).

I'd give up a second, considering that we are going to have a good season I think we should take the risk and give up our 2nd rounder for him now.

I don't see us getting that type of player in the second round with a #60-70 pick.

I hope we could and would get him for a 2nd, but there are 15 other teams out there who could be thinking the same thing...Im sure soemone will take him with a second, unless there is a real issue that scares teams off....

I think a 2nd is too high... I would say a third at the very highest

Phinsfan1980 said:
I think a 2nd is too high... I would say a third at the very highest

Basically the team will have to make that decision as to whether or not it's worth the risk, because I doubt you get him in the 3rd.

He has too much talent to fall that far for a pick that isn't this year, yet you get to use him this year.

With Brooks' issues I'd give up a 5th...and no higher. Let someone else overpay for the guy.

If he turns into what he could and should be and someone else gives up a higher pick then we can say "can't win 'em all" but if he turns into a mega-headache we'll be glad we missed on him.

I'm torn on this. I like Jimmy Johnson's idea of "you can take the big risk and win big or you can play it safe". The one thing I do want to see is Saban going into a draft with our full allotment of picks.

Back
Top Bottom