Alabama draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alabama draft?

Here's why that logic is flawed, and there's plenty more...
Khalil Mack - University of Buffalo
Walter Payton - Jackson State
Jerry Rice - Mississippi Valley State
Ed “Too Tall” Jones -Tennessee State
Jayson Taylor - Akron
Andre Reed - Kutztown
Terron Armstead - Arkansas Pine-Bluff
Carson Wentz - North Dakota State
Ben Roethlisberger - Miami of Ohio
Malcolm Butler - Western Alabama
Randy Moss - Marshall
Roddy White - Alabama - Birmingham
Tony Romo - Eastern Illinois
Brett Favre - Southern Mississippi
Shannon Sharpe - Savannah State
Howie Long - Villanova
Charles Haley - James Maddison
Kurt Warner - Northern Iowa
Jimmy Garoppolo - Eastern Illinois
Terrell Owens - Tennessee at Chattanooga
Larry Allen - Sonoma State
Michael Strahan - Texas Southern
Steve McNair - Alcorn Stat
Phil Simms - Morehead State
Demarcus Ware- Troy

That's all you got?

Want a list of elite players from elite schools? Might need to open up a new server to fit that post in.

I agree with this. It's always been on of my themes. I have no idea why the Dolphins screw around with so many smaller school types instead of allowing the talent laden programs to help them steal the vital 3 to 5%.

It is not clever to find a small school type. It means you have spent far too much time on that type of pursuit, and almost certainly whiffed major college sleepers along the way.

It's a good point. I went back and checked my 2019 rankings (specifically for Miami), and I only rated 12 players from non-Power 5 schools. The highest grade was Andy Isabella (2nd/3rd). Everyone else was either in the 3rd/4th or 4th-7th range.

Outside of QB, the focus should be on limiting misses, rather than worrying about missing out on someone.

I really like RB Harris.... I think he's the next D. Henry in the NFL.

That's all you got?

Want a list of elite players from elite schools? Might need to open up a new server to fit that post in.

I don't think he's saying you can't find elite players from elite schools or that the number may not be higher, just that small schools have great players also, and if you read some of those small school names, how could you not also keep an eye on small schools.

Some of those players could be argued to be the greatest at their position.

This thread is a good example of the extremes that most people think in. Never do this, always avoid that...

The thing you have to realize is that High school football talent no longer slips through the cracks to the level it did many years ago. These kids are found out now due to so many more factors. All the camps, recruiting services, etc. that didn’t exist back then.

It’s much less likely that a Jerry Rice falls past the SEC radar and land at Miss. Valley St. Or a Walter Payton and Jackie Slater fall through the cracks to Jackson St.

Same but to a slightly lesser degree. highly unlikely a Brett Favre to Sounthern Miss. Or Terrell Owens to Chattanooga. Owens was so skinny coming out of high school that Bama nor Auburn offered him. But they would nowadays.

Furthermore, a Khalil Mack at Buffalo isn’t quite the same thing as Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, etc being at MVSU and JSU. Buffalo isn’t a small school. Their endowment is large enough to make them an FBS school.

Steve McNairs typically don’t end up at Alcorn St. anymore, although he was recruited by SEC schools to play another position. He wanted to play quarterback. It’s just a different era in recruiting.

Try to imagine a player from a school like Alcorn St. finishing top 3 in the Heisman Trophy voting nowadays. Ain’t happening.

Randy Moss was heavily recruited by the big schools, it was his own fault he ended up at Marshall. He was either going to play at Notre Dame - then at Florida St.

I think you have to be more specific in terms of the definition of small school. Non-power 5 FBS schools like Troy or Buffalo aren’t small schools. They’re not the same category as schools like Mississippi Valley St. or Moorhead St., etc.

Those are entirely different levels of football.

Back
Top Bottom