*** Alabama Pro Day TODAY *** | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Alabama Pro Day TODAY ***

there's only so much better kuechly can make us with matt moore and david garrard at qb...i still think with them under center this teams a 6 game winner...but is tannehill a better pro prospect than matt barkley??? nope...better than tyler wilson??? not in my eyes...better than aaron murray??? not to me...better than the kid with poor mans cam newton physical tools at va tech??? again...i say on that upside wise is a no

I agree with all of this except for the VTech QB. Not seeing it yet with him.

But I think here's the catch. As an athlete and physical talent, and as a guy with intangibles, Tannehill matches up very well with all of those guys. I love Barkley - like him as much as I do Luck. Think he's a better pure passer than Luck. But when the Miami coaching staff (it should ultimately fall on Philbin and Co to pick their QB) looks at Tannehill vs. the guys they'd wait for next season, they have to say, 'With a year of coaching, and his talent, do we project him to be further along than any of the guys we can realistically expect to get?' And more, 'Is his upside as high, if not higher, than the potential 2013 QB's?' Given the way that this staff develops QB's. I think they'd love to get their hands on a kid with Tannehill's talent. They love grooming players; they actually know how to do it (as opposed to our previous staffs). If don't get a QB this year, I won't cry, 'The sky is falling,' Like I said, I love Barkley, really like Murray and Wilson. But I don't think you pass on Tannehill to wait on them. I'd pass on Weeden to wait on them.

I agree with all of this except for the VTech QB. Not seeing it yet with him.

But I think here's the catch. As an athlete and physical talent, and as a guy with intangibles, Tannehill matches up very well with all of those guys. I love Barkley - like him as much as I do Luck. Think he's a better pure passer than Luck. But when the Miami coaching staff (it should ultimately fall on Philbin and Co to pick their QB) looks at Tannehill vs. the guys they'd wait for next season, they have to say, 'With a year of coaching, and his talent, do we project him to be further along than any of the guys we can realistically expect to get?' And more, 'Is his upside as high, if not higher, than the potential 2013 QB's?' Given the way that this staff develops QB's. I think they'd love to get their hands on a kid with Tannehill's talent. They love grooming players; they actually know how to do it (as opposed to our previous staffs). If don't get a QB this year, I won't cry, 'The sky is falling,' Like I said, I love Barkley, really like Murray and Wilson. But I don't think you pass on Tannehill to wait on them. I'd pass on Weeden to wait on them.

I agree with this thought process. If Tannehill is there at 8 and you like him, you take him . . . I just don't trust anything being spit right now, hell I'm not even sure if we "love" him like many think we do. We may, but I'll feel more confidence when we are on the clock, Tannehill is still on the board and we make him our pick.

My questions with a MLB in the top 10 is it worth it? Is it good value? MLB are not QB disrupters. Not down playing MLB but there would be great tacklers in the 2nd rd who could play ten years for us making tackles. If he's not the next Ray Lewis I still have a problem with the pick. If we don't take Tannehill I think we need to go either Coples or Floyd. Both have questions marks but also have insane talent.

Not really, not when you have a void at playmaker on both sides of the ball and a position like MLB much easier to fill. To take him at 8, anything less than a consistent pro bowler would be a disappointment. Solid MLB's can be had later, I think taking one at 8 is preaching the same philosophy that the Parcells regime tends to preach.

This isn't a knock on him at all, but pass rusher, WR, DB and QB all make more sense to me.

I agree with this thought process. If Tannehill is there at 8 and you like him, you take him . . . I just don't trust anything being spit right now, hell I'm not even sure if we "love" him like many think we do. We may, but I'll feel more confidence when we are on the clock, Tannehill is still on the board and we make him our pick.

I can appreciate that. I remember being certain that they were WITH ME and that we'd be drafting Earl Thomas, and if not him, Jerry Hughes would make a nice consolation prize. Who knows, right? I still think they like Tannehill. But I def don't claim to know.

i don't see trading down in play for us unless tannehill is gone in front of us and i don't see that either although kc has scheduled a private workout and i'm sure jax would be receptive with dropping from #7 to #11...so if we did trade back and tannehill was the target for us which i wholeheartedly believe he is then we have a dicey situation at #11 with kc when they come on the board...frankly if tannehills there i don't think we trade anything...i think he's taken at #8...anyways i don't see a shot in hell of us trading a future #1 or even a likely high 2nd rounder to move up in this draft...and i don't want em to either given how i think this year is gonna go for us...

i agree with you on fleener...i don't see how he ever gets by the giants at #32 if he gets there...to me adding that piece down the seam takes that giants o to a whole nother level
In a trade down scenario, do you see Barron in play for Miami? I expect Fleener to go much higher than people expect maybe even top 20. I mean after Blackmon and Floyd he may have the most impact in an NFL passing attack.

There's always a quarterback you can point to who might be available next year and say, "well, are they really better than that guy?"

Not a good way to look at the draft, in my opinion, for a few reasons.

1.) You haven't made a full evaluation on the other guy. Your first impression might be good, but you haven't dug in and seen the negatives on the other guy the way you have on this guy. Uneven evaluations are valueless.

2.) Next year isn't guaranteed. We're picking 8th, yet there was a point during the season we thought Dolphins had a shot at the #1 overall pick. You can't predict during the season how the season's going to end and you think you can predict what's going to happen next year? Pffft. Look at Burfict, going from a 1st round pick to undraftable in a year. Look at Cam Newton, from small school transfer to #1 overall. A year changes everything. There's always the (very small) possibility we could have a great year with mediocre QB play like the 49ers did and not have a chance to take a top QB until two years from now at the earliest. Kicking the can down the road sucks, and long term leads to sucking.

3.) Not all drafts are created equal. One year's top 10 pick is next year's late first rounder, and not because of "reaching." You only get to choose from the players available. This is sort of tied into #2.

4.) My basic advice is: figure out what you think of Tannehill. Yes or no. If it's yes, then take him. Don't head**** yourself with "value." Don't try to trade down. If it's no, then just don't take him. End of story.
Agree. I just think there's too much upside with Tannehill to pass on him. But the evaluation also has to include how much of a drop off the team sees from Tannehill to say Cousins, who I think would be their next target. At some point, though, you've got to get the qb. Wait until next year has been the mantra for way too long.

I can appreciate that. I remember being certain that they were WITH ME and that we'd be drafting Earl Thomas, and if not him, Jerry Hughes would make a nice consolation prize. Who knows, right? I still think they like Tannehill. But I def don't claim to know.
Oh man did I hate that we passed on Earl Thomas.

In a trade down scenario, do you see Barron in play for Miami? I expect Fleener to go much higher than people expect maybe even top 20. I mean after Blackmon and Floyd he may have the most impact in an NFL passing attack.

trade down to where??? #15-20...cause thats where i see barron coming off the board...after richardson i wouldn't be surprised if he was the next bama player off the board...i watched multiple bama games this year and came away thinking mark barrons the best player on that defense...as for miami and barron i doubt it...just don't think ireland will consider it that big a need over some other positions

Back
Top Bottom