Albert Wilson Breakdown From A Chiefs Fan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Albert Wilson Breakdown From A Chiefs Fan

superphin

don't go clown shoes on us
Club Member
Reaction score
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018...chiefs-should-probably-let-albert-wilson-walk

Pretty good read goes into his strengths and weaknes. Some snippets from the article.

The good and the bad. Yeah I dont know how to put in 2 separate quotes, it seems to come out as one big one.

It’s been said before, but Wilson is built more like a running back than a wide receiver, and his running style is pretty unique as well. Once he’s got the ball in his hands, Wilson is more capable than most receivers in the league at creating extra yards with good open-field vision, solid cutting ability and good core strength to break tackles. He’s tough to corral for defenses, and that’s a big deal in Reid’s offense.

In fact, I would call YAC ability Wilson’s absolute top trait. He’s good enough with the ball in his hands that you could even refer to it as “running ability.” The Chiefs have used Wilson on jet sweeps and even right out of the backfield in the past, with decent results. There’s definitely value in a player you can move all over the field and use of various gadget plays to create unpredictability.

Another good trait for Wilson is the ability to create separation in specific circumstances. He’s not a great “multi-cut” route runner, or even a particularly good one, but on one cut and go routes he does a nice job.
/QUOTE]

Wilson has always had and continues to have a limited catch radius. While he’ll occasionally make a good catch in which he has to stretch, it is not something you can count on him to do consistently at all. He is also pretty poor at tracking and adjusting to the ball down the field, an utterly crucial skill as a deep threat.

The combination of those two weaknesses negates a lot of what Wilson could be as a field-stretching fast guy. The reality is it’s tough to trust him down the field because he requires a very good throw in order to make the catch. The preference (at least for me) is a guy who can adjust to a ball that is off-target because the farther down the field you get, the less accurate the throws will be. The ability to adjust to and catch an inaccurate ball is what separates fast guys from legitimate deep threats (see Hill, Tyreek).

Additionally, while Wilson does demonstrate some quickness on certain routes, it’s on a limited tree. When he’s asked to perform more than a single cut, his footwork suffers and he doesn’t look nearly as quick in his routes. That’s a real problem, in that it limits what you can ask him to do.
/QUOTE]

from ChiefsPlanet, my favorite Chiefs site (and the one from which I borrowed "random thoughts" when starting what's now an epic thread in the lounge)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=13275878

some snippets
As for Wilson, he's definitely ditched the alligator arms to some extent so far this year and I'm happy to see it. When he plays his ass off, he's a pretty damn good slot opt

I mean, the concentration on that tipped pass..... really impressive

For being the 4th option, I think he's good. He's not a 1 or 2 and really never will be but he's a good role player.

He's always been good, not great.

Last edited:
Up here in NE Kansas I listen to some sports radio out of KC. Also have family and friends who are diehards, and for the most part he is a JAG.

It's why I don't really understand the hype and expectations of a veteran WR who has never put up the numbers to begin with.

I guess this means Gase and his bubble screens will continue for the foreseeable future.

Wilson is more capable than most receivers in the league at creating extra yards with good open-field vision, solid cutting ability and good core strength to break tackles. He’s tough to corral for defenses, and that’s a big deal in Reid’s offense.

Not only will he break tackles like Landry did, but he's also faster. I like it.

Very solid read.

If Reid can scheme him open, Gase can too. Sounds like he will contribute on offense but we won’t need to force the offense thru him like Landry.

That gif of him running that whip route though..... damn!

The acceleration out of that stumble in that whip/pivot vid... Is Gase truly the coach that some believe him to be, one that can get maximize their strengths?

Up here in NE Kansas I listen to some sports radio out of KC. Also have family and friends who are diehards, and for the most part THEY THINK he is a JAG.

It's why I don't really understand the hype and expectations of a veteran WR who has never put up the numbers to begin with.

I guess this means Gase and his bubble screens will continue for the foreseeable future.

Fixed that for you.

The analysis sounds pretty spot on to me. $14 million in slots in 2018

if those are his weaknesses, no problem. I don't think we're looking for him to go deep, nor am I worried about THill making too many throws where Wilson is going to have to adjust much. No, he's perfect for the "Landry" routes and I think better or as good as Landry after the catch. Play on!

if those are his weaknesses, no problem. I don't think we're looking for him to go deep, nor am I worried about THill making too many throws where Wilson is going to have to adjust much. No, he's perfect for the "Landry" routes and I think better or as good as Landry after the catch. Play on!
W the caveat that Landry seems to have a better catch radius and ability to adjust to - and fight for a contested ball. We’ll see how it shakes out - I think we get some things we didn’t have in Landry such as speed but lose some things such as toughness / physical abilities.

Back
Top Bottom