Albert Wilson Question | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Albert Wilson Question

Why would you think that?

If you look at it from the perspective of his contract, I think the opposite is likely.

3 mil base verses 2.3 mil dead cap if cut.

That's pretty cheap, even if he's just a #4, and he isn't a bad reciever, just injured a lot.

I suppose he could be traded to avoid the cap hit, but those same injury concers may have teams shy away.

Unless you have a handful of guys clearly better, what is the advantage of cutting him?

Edit: It may, because of roster spots. come down to a choice of him or Grant. Wilson is a far better reciever.

Definitely agree. I am keeping him at that price.

I know he opted out of this season due to COVID concern, but can he still be activated to the roster if he wants to or they can convince him to return?? Or is that window closed?

He would come in handy right now with the lack of depth and veteran savvy at WR.

I'm torn on this one. I think he lost his job and place in the league, even though he is doing what he believes is right for his family this season. It will be a hard hill to climb to come back next season.

So, I guess, is this an option? Could he, would he come back and play? Is he even staying in shape or anything to that extent?
If the guy didn't want to play when the numbers were manageable, why would he want to play now with the numbers growing out of control

I think Miami waits until after the draft to make a decision on Wilson. Its the smart play. Hurns on the other hand, I think gets released in March at the start of F/A.
Wilson looked like an up and comer early on with Miami. But last year he was mostly a shell of his former self. Looked better near the end of the season, but not quite there yet.

He will have to show that he has his speed and quicks back. A bubble player IMO.

Wilson looked like an up and comer early on with Miami. But last year he was mostly a shell of his former self. Looked better near the end of the season, but not quite there yet.

He will have to show that he has his speed and quicks back. A bubble player IMO.
Understood, and agree about him being on the bubble. But my point was, it doesn't hurt to keep him around until they know what they were able to aquire in the draft and F/A. He fits the scheme. He'd have been perfect for Tua. I do believe they'll eventually release him.

Use some of your draft capital and GO GET a legit NFL ready made WR. There will be some available in the offseason. Follow the AZ - Hopkins and Buf - Diggs model. It will absolutely bring life to your offense and help out Tua So much. Mike Evans comes to mind as one that may be shopped. Or Michael Thomas (will be shopped) or Julio Jones (will likely be shopped).

BUF waited until year 3. ARZ needed someone other than a aging but productive Fitzgerald.

Miami needs to be smart and add the pieces that fit and no more square pegs for round holes ie Mike Wallace.

Mekole Hardman remains on wish list from KC.

Why would you think that?

If you look at it from the perspective of his contract, I think the opposite is likely.

3 mil base verses 2.3 mil dead cap if cut.

That's pretty cheap, even if he's just a #4, and he isn't a bad reciever, just injured a lot.

I suppose he could be traded to avoid the cap hit, but those same injury concers may have teams shy away.

Unless you have a handful of guys clearly better, what is the advantage of cutting him?

Edit: It may, because of roster spots. come down to a choice of him or Grant. Wilson is a far better reciever.
You are making a very reasonable case for keeping him, if he can return to form. Unfortunately I never really saw him as a WR but more of a slot/gimmick guy where all that quickness he had helped overcome his other deficiencies.

Plus to be very honest I'm annoyed at the whole opt-out thing as well.

i really dont find wilson to be anything special, i know his contract is cheap but hes not a gamechanger and doesnt really have a future here on this team in my opinion, if we keep him it is what it is but i would not be opposed to moving on if we can upgrade

the only 2 wr's id definitely keep are Parker and Grant, both become free agents in 2024...Yes i know Grant hasnt produced much in the offense and has suspect hands but i still find his special teams play valuable and his lack of production isnt necessarily from a lack of effort or skill, its more that his size puts him at a disadvantage especially crossing the field in congested spaces and his hands are small but he is dangerous in open space and should be running deep more often to at least open up the field, he gives a good effort and has elite speed...in a perfect world wed have 4 better receivers and he would be our #5 and return man

the receivers left are:

Preston Williams (FA-2022)
Albert Wilson (2022)
Lynn Bowden (rb/wr?) (2024)
Malcolm Perry (rb/wr?) (2024)
Allen Hurns (2023)

Free Agents:

Antonio Calloway
Mack Hollins

Wilson is talented, no doubt about it. He could help this team, unquestionably. But he has been injured a lot, and after the team carrying him last season and him opting out this season, I suspect he is no longer in our long-term plans. He's a veteran with a high salary, not dependable because of injuries, and he is missing his window when we need him and when Tua is bonding with current WR's. Because we'll be most likely adding a young WR1 soon, we will need to cull some of the WR corps, and Albert Wilson looks like an easy cut moving forward.

As for this season ... lots of water under the bridge. I doubt he is recruited for this current half-season.

I don’t hold opting out against any player. That being said, sitting out a year is very difficult... I find highly unlikely he’ll be on the roster next season.

Back
Top Bottom