Alex: A.J. Feeley was McNabb's backup | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex: A.J. Feeley was McNabb's backup

Originally posted by dolphan39
But in the NFC Championship game, it was Detmer and not Feeley who played when McNabb got hurt

My big question is why wouldnt they put in the guy who gives you the best chance to win into the game? It was the 4th quarter and that 3rd QB rule does not apply, you can put in any qb you want without any reprecussions. It seems to me that they thought Detmer gives them the better chance to win and theyre just hyping the crap out of Feely so they can actually get something in return when they lose him. I think this is gonna go down as the most bone-headed move of this offseason. The price for this unproven QB is just way too high.

Originally posted by Oboy

Actually, the rules state that if the 3rd string or "EMERGENCY" QB enters the game before the 4th quarter both the first and second string QB's are not allowed to play again in that game. THUS if you feel that your starter has ANY chance of coming back into the game and playing you put in the 2nd stringer and thus that is why Detmer played and not Feeley. If it would have been in the fourth quarter... then rumor has it that Feeley would have played.

That makes the most sense of anything else i've read. Thanks for explaining that....

Now we can put to rest all this "Feeley was 3rd string" crap.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree

if you read articles, you would read how particular kickers are about their holders. Miami kept Mark Royals last year because he was the holder. There existed better punters, however Royals holding skill was too much to give up on. The reason why they got Turk is because he also held for Mare.

If Feely was so good why didnt they teach him how to hold. After all the kicker is working(playing) for the team and he needs to do what his boss (the coach) tells him to do. If Feely was so good I think they would have had him do some intense hold training (lol) in the offseason and last training camp to get the kicker comfortable. Instead they just kept him @ 3rd string qb.

To me that speaks volumes.

THe reason the put in detmer is because they probably thought Mcnabb may come back and if the 3rd stringer is in then the starter cant returen ............i think

Originally posted by Fisticuff Deuce

Anyone who thinks Detmer was 2nd string just to hold the ball is a MORON.

I happen to know that for a fact... does that make me a moron?

Calm down on the name-calling broadcasts. I don't think I'll need to tell you again.

One other thing to ponder. How much of a debate have you seen in our organization as to whether Travis Minor or Leonard Henry backs up Ricky Williams? You don't think about it because you hope to God it doesn't happen. Both Donovan McNabb and R-Dub are such fixtures at their respective positions there's not enough real debate over the backing positions to determine the stand-ins' respective values.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
As I've stated before, I thnk the point is moot. Rivers will not make it to pick #20.

Also, tendering Sage makes it even more unlikely we'll take any QB now.

Originally posted by minus
I find it very hard to believe that they would rather keep inactive the better QB because other could hold.In the entire Eagles roster,only one knows how to hold?

It is odd ain't it. Like I said elsewhere, if that was true about Detmer being the holder and with the rules, etc., Detmer could be listed at any other position actually, still be the holder and even take snaps in an emergency if needed. Nothing says that a LB can't play the position even. iMO, it's just a "baseless" argument to "justify" us getting something more than what we really got!! ;)

Originally posted by Oboy

Actually, the rules state that if the 3rd string or "EMERGENCY" QB enters the game before the 4th quarter both the first and second string QB's are not allowed to play again in that game. THUS if you feel that your starter has ANY chance of coming back into the game and playing you put in the 2nd stringer and thus that is why Detmer played and not Feeley. If it would have been in the fourth quarter... then rumor has it that Feeley would have played.

I was thinking that if #3 came in b4 the 4th, then it would only disqualify the #1 only.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

It is odd ain't it. Like I said elsewhere, if that was true about Detmer being the holder and with the rules, etc., Detmer could be listed at any other position actually, still be the holder and even take snaps in an emergency if needed. Nothing says that a LB can't play the position even. iMO, it's just a "baseless" argument to "justify" us getting something more than what we really got!! ;)

Genius. Take up a special teams spot when you can have him at back up quarterback. Brilliant.

Genius. Take up a special teams spot when you can have him at back up quarterback. Brilliant.

How about OT then, GENIUS! The point is, any other position as to not affect the QB,rule, GENIUS. You carry 2 QB instead, GENIUS !!

Originally posted by DeDolfan

How about OT then, GENIUS! The point is, any other position as to not affect the QB,rule, GENIUS. You carry 2 QB instead, GENIUS !!

that makes a lot of sense. Take away another special team player. Also with an injury to a lineman, you really limit your back ups. It doesn't make ANY logical sense then to have him at QB. Main reason is, he can play QB. Especially if McNabb is hurt during the game.

I would like to know under what circumstances McNabb got injured in that game though, how long he was expected to be out, what quarter it was, where on the field they were, and etc.

that makes a lot of sense. Take away another special team player. Also with an injury to a lineman, you really limit your back ups. It doesn't make ANY logical sense then to have him at QB. Main reason is, he can play QB. Especially if McNabb is hurt during the game.

Who said anything about taking away a spec teams player?? Who said anything about taking away anything for that matter?
Try and stays with me here, you have a 53 man roster and on game day you can only activate 48. Now you have only 48 available to play in any given game. I am not saying that you eliminate another player at another position. What I AM saying is [still with me??] instaed of "listing" Detmer as a QB, list him as anything else, a TE for that matter if you want. You would only "carry" 2 QBs on the roster and the "3rd" one is carried at another position so as NOT to interfer with the league rules on QB sub, etc. Still with me, so far? You STILL have the same 48 guys suited up and ready to play and not eliminating anyone! The NFL doesn't have limits tas o how many players you may carry at each position. As far as I know, you can have 30 WRs if you want. But then you run into numbering problems as there is some kind of thing about players at certain positions allowed to wear certain #s, etc., but I hope you get my point. But this is why that when some folx say that Detmer was listed as the #2 ONLY because he could hold, etc., I just say....................... :booty:
cuz it just ain't necessarily so. mln>

Back
Top Bottom