Alex Mack, C, Cal | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Mack, C, Cal

Orange_Crush

11-5 (2008 AFC East Champs)
Reaction score
As of right now, i'd be extremely happy if we took this guy in the first round of the draft. One of the best C prospects in quite sometime, great size. Of course id like to see LB Rey Maualuga but thats almost unrealistic drafting at #20some. Id love to see 2 dominating young OL in Jake Long and Alex Mack.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/Alex_Mack.htm

I doubt he's there when we draft. Like you said, one of the best C prospects in some time, so I'm not so sure he's there in the 20s. If he is, I think we almost have to pick him up. Satele blows.

Satele will NEVER be anything special. His arms are extremely short for an o-lineman and he gets taken advantage of because of it.

Bill would never draft Rey Maualuga with a 1st round pick, so it wouldn't matter if he was still there when we pick or not.

The word around the nfl is that Rey is a first rate punk and most that talk to him come away shaking there head.

i think we got a legitimate shot at Mack in the first round.
Long and Mack
sign Jordan Gross
Move Satale to gaurd or another draft pick free agent
and have Donald thomas back at RG

something like that would be my ideal OL

I definetely believe Miami will have a chance to select Alex Mack. Alot of defensive players will be flooding the first round.

I definetely believe Miami will have a chance to select Alex Mack. Alot of defensive players will be flooding the first round.

Yea and we need to grab one of those defensive guys in the first round.

Worry about Center in round 2

I doubt he's there when we draft. Like you said, one of the best C prospects in some time, so I'm not so sure he's there in the 20s. If he is, I think we almost have to pick him up. Satele blows.

Best Center prospect since 2006 and Nick Mangold . . . Mangold was the better prospect and he went 29th. This draft will be deeper than that draft.

Name the last Center to go before the 24th pick in the draft? U are on Mack wayyy to hard bro.

Best Center prospect since 2006 and Nick Mangold . . . Mangold was the better prospect and he went 29th. This draft will be deeper than that draft.

Name the last Center to go before the 24th pick in the draft? U are on Mack wayyy to hard bro.

alot of defensive players we could take in first round look hit or miss to me.
alex mack would be solid without any injuries etc...
u and i both know we need a C more than linebackers. if not more then the same

alot of defensive players we could take in first round look hit or miss to me.
alex mack would be solid without any injuries etc...
u and i both know we need a C more than linebackers. if not more then the same

Yes we need a Center . . . and Mack fits the best. But we also don't overlook value at other positions in the draft either and history suggests even the best of centers usually get selected after the first round.

This team still lacks overall talent . . . we need to go BPA that fits a need.

That could be FS, ILB, OLB, RT, CB, NT, WR or C.

I guarantee you Mack won't be the BPA amongst those positions. In round 2, yea we chance missing him . . . but this Center class is deep enough to find a guy that will do a great job for this team as well.

And as bad as many of us want to replace Satele at Center . . . he isn't dreadful, he is usable . . . which is even more reason to go BPA with that first pick. It's not like last year where we had one tackle on the entire team . . . and we took Jake Long. He was a top 3 BPA but filled by far the biggest need . . . was a no brainer. This one we have to weight all the talents and go from there . . . and I'm just saying there is a strong possiblity that won't be a Center . . . regardless of who it is. But maybe I'm wrong, we will find out.

Yes we need a Center . . . and Mack fits the best. But we also don't overlook value at other positions in the draft either and history suggests even the best of centers usually get selected after the first round.

I guarantee you Mack won't be the BPA amongst those positions. In round 2, yea we chance missing him . . . but this Center class is deep enough to find a guy that will do a great job for this team as well.

And as bad as many of us want to replace Satele at Center . . . he isn't dreadful, he is usable . . . which is even more reason to go BPA with that first pick. It's not like last year where we had one tackle on the entire team . . . and we took Jake Long. He was a top 3 BPA but filled by far the biggest need . . . was a no brainer. This one we have to weight all the talents and go from there . . . and I'm just saying there is a strong possiblity that won't be a Center . . . regardless of who it is. But maybe I'm wrong, we will find out.

I'm with you on this one. Mack is not going to get drafted in the 1st round. Unless he is in the last 3 picks and even then I don't see it as the teams I see finsihing with the last three picks don't need centers. Plus it being a deep draft in centers will hurt any center getting drafted early. Luigs to me can be as good if not better in the long run and we can definitely get him in the 2nd if not the 3rd. I can't see how Mack is gone before we pick no matter how hard I look at the draft boards. Sure he's good but the value is just not there. I think 2a we have a legit shot at him being there. With the juniors that are declaring and the needs of other teams. This year there is a ncie class of lbs/des, and DBs either CB or safties. Plus there are 2-3 QBs and 3-5 LTs going to get drafted in the first 50 picks. I believe he is there when we pick and we take him unless someone with more value drops and then we go after Luigs.

So we need a Center, this guys one of the best ones available, he fits our system but our Center is "usable". Isn't Hill "usable", isn't Roth "usable", Goodeman and Allen are "usable" and Solai is "usable". I don't really understand your point (and I'm not being a jerk about it), this guy fits a need and he's suppose to be awesome to boot. I don't care for the arguement where a Center should get drafted, we're not picking top 10 we're picking 26th overall. I'm fine with taking an OLB or even an ILB if any great ones drop but I can also see picking up C.Sintim or L.English with our early 2nd round pick. R.Brace or T.Taylor(power lifter) in the 4th at NT but everything depends on the direction we take come the FA period.

So we need a Center, this guys one of the best ones available, he fits our system but our Center is "usable". Isn't Hill "usable", isn't Roth "usable", Goodeman and Allen are "usable" and Solai is "usable". I don't really understand your point (and I'm not being a jerk about it), this guy fits a need and he's suppose to be awesome to boot. I don't care for the arguement where a Center should get drafted, we're not picking top 10 we're picking 26th overall. I'm fine with taking an OLB or even an ILB if any great ones drop but I can also see picking up C.Sintim or L.English with our early 2nd round pick. R.Brace or T.Taylor(power lifter) in the 4th at NT but everything depends on the direction we take come the FA period.

I don't believe its 26th we are picking. That was our spot based on record but as the playoffs go and people get eliminated their spot changes. As of now I believe we are 23rd but it may be 22nd with either Minn at 21(worst record eliminated in wildcard round). then Atl at 22 and then us at 23, and Colts at 24. We may be 22nd because of the tiebreaker system with Atl. We have the same record but I think it goes to strength of schedule to decide who gets the earlier pick. I most likley am wrong on the tiebreaker. Still that's 23rd that we are picking. No center is worth the 23rd pick, sorry. Even if he is a future probowler, teams look to the money positions in the first round. With this draft having 3 maybe 4 very good centers, most teams will decide to wait to take a center til later and try to get more valued positions earlier. Is this right? Probably not, but I still think Mack will be available at 2a and then we pick him or we take Luigs with 2b or 3.

Watch out for Eric Wood from Louisville. 6'3" 305 lbs. 4 year starter at center. Super intelligent kid and hard working. Spends loads of time in the film room. He could be had in the 3rd round assuming he doesn't leap up draft boards before April, which could be likely. The only reason he's rated lower now is because Louisville has fallen off the college football map due to a coaching change (don't go there :(). He's a Parcells type kid.

Louisville coach Steve Kragthorpe on Wood:
(On Louisville C Eric Wood) "He's a warrior. The guy's an absolute warrior. As I said in the press conference the other day, the Eric Wood you see on Saturday afternoon is what I get to see every day, Monday through Friday. The guy prepares his tail off. And not just in terms of on the practice field, which he does an unbelievable job of, but also with the way he watches film. Everything he does is in preparation to be the best he can possibly be and he's a great football player. He's going to continue to be a great football player. I'll sing his praises from the highest rooftop to every professional football team I get a chance to talk to because if I'm coaching, I want Eric Wood on my football team."

Profile:

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wood_eric00.html

He was named to the All-Big East 1st team for this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom