Alex Mack, C, Cal | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Mack, C, Cal

Bill would never draft Rey Maualuga with a 1st round pick, so it wouldn't matter if he was still there when we pick or not.

The word around the nfl is that Rey is a first rate punk and most that talk to him come away shaking there head.

Rey's not that bad of a person. He's had alot of bad things happen to him throughout his life. That said, he won't be there when we're selecting.

I'd take Mack from Cal or Unger from Oregon to upgrade the C. I'd think that one of the two would be there when we were picking in the 2nd, or maybe we could possibly move up.

I'd like someone like Sintim with our first pick.

I agree w/waiting until the 2nd for a C. It isn't critical that they get the best rated C according to the pundits and Al Johnson would be insurance for the rookie.

I'd rather see Satele competing with Thomas at RG as insurance there. There's been some question about Satele's ability to make good line calls, but he really gets no push. He can pull well, but he needs to get better at hitting a target when he gets out there.

I'd be all for taking him in the first. Even if center isn't typically a position drafted in the first round I consider it to be the second most important line position after LT. He's the one making all the line calls, blitz recognitions, etc. Something that Satele never really fully grasped in his two years as a starter. If this front office is serious about improving line play I think Satele is the first guy to go, or at least be slid over to compete at RG. Mack could be a pro-bowl caliber center for the next decade, and if that isn't worth a late first round pick I don't know what is.

Obviously if some top-ten stud were to inexplicably slide to us I think we would be wise to consider someone else. The draft is still a long way away, but as of now I'd be perfectly content with drafting Mack.

I'd be all for taking him in the first. Even if center isn't typically a position drafted in the first round I consider it to be the second most important line position after LT. He's the one making all the line calls, blitz recognitions, etc. Something that Satele never really fully grasped in his two years as a starter. If this front office is serious about improving line play I think Satele is the first guy to go, or at least be slid over to compete at RG. Mack could be a pro-bowl caliber center for the next decade, and if that isn't worth a late first round pick I don't know what is.

Obviously if some top-ten stud were to inexplicably slide to us I think we would be wise to consider someone else. The draft is still a long way away, but as of now I'd be perfectly content with drafting Mack.

I've never understood why any football player that has potential to be great would be a bad 1st round pick because for some oddball reason his position doesn't traditionally get picked there.

So let's watch the top four Centers get picked before our 2nd round pick and then what. Balt,Indy,Pitts,Det,KC,STL,Jac,Oak and Buf all could potentially select a Center between our 1st and 2nd pick because they need one and apparrently picking the Center position where they are seems to be more acceptable.

Like you said if somehow a top talent drops to us then you can't say no to that but there will be some real good 3/4 OLB's still available at our 2nd round pick. I'd rather take the #1 Center and then 6th best OLB then the 4th best OLB and the 4th best Center. Especially when you look at the 3/4 OLB can be a guy that's primarily a pass rusher or a guy that is too small to be a 4/3 DE ala L.English.

I would love to see A.Mack playing for our team next year and not making Pro Bowls for someone else because picking him at 26 or so is too early!

Watch out for Eric Wood from Louisville. 6'3" 305 lbs. 4 year starter at center. Super intelligent kid and hard working. Spends loads of time in the film room. He could be had in the 3rd round assuming he doesn't leap up draft boards before April, which could be likely. The only reason he's rated lower now is because Louisville has fallen off the college football map due to a coaching change (don't go there :(). He's a Parcells type kid.

Louisville coach Steve Kragthorpe on Wood:

Profile:

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wood_eric00.html

He was named to the All-Big East 1st team for this season.

Wood maybe the best center in this draft when it's all said and done . . . the kid is a BEAST. U are right, he may be the guy for us come April . . . doesn't get the attention because he is at Louiville and they have been down the last 2 years . . . but the kid is solid.

So we need a Center, this guys one of the best ones available, he fits our system but our Center is "usable". Isn't Hill "usable", isn't Roth "usable", Goodeman and Allen are "usable" and Solai is "usable". I don't really understand your point (and I'm not being a jerk about it), this guy fits a need and he's suppose to be awesome to boot. I don't care for the arguement where a Center should get drafted, we're not picking top 10 we're picking 26th overall. I'm fine with taking an OLB or even an ILB if any great ones drop but I can also see picking up C.Sintim or L.English with our early 2nd round pick. R.Brace or T.Taylor(power lifter) in the 4th at NT but everything depends on the direction we take come the FA period.

I understand what u are saying . . . fact is, we have alot of "usable" guys . . . Roth, Hill, Ayodele, Ferguson, Satele, Goodman and Allen . . .

U are throwing out names and focusing on those guys solely . . . fact is there are ALOT of Centers in this draft that fit our system well and honestly there are a few that may end up being better than Mack with solid coaching. When u have a draft this deep at a position that is not in high demand . . . u can afford to wait. Supply and demand . . . this year has a supply of quality centers . . . 5 or 6 could start easily when its all said and done . . . but the demand isn't great, so they will fall.

That's why I think people who say he should be drafted first round is overrating him . . . it's not that I don't think he doesn't have first round value . . . its the fact that the demand for Center wont be high that early and we can afford to wait . . . and if we miss out on Mack its not the worst thing . . . yes IMO he is the best, but he doesn't blow everybody away. I think Caldwell could be a BEAST with solid coaching and Luigs . . . and LouphinFan said a great name with Wood. I would be happy with any one of these guys.

Give me a LB or a FS or even a CB before C in round 1 in this draft, I'm sorry, that is how I feel. We may be looking at RT also.

lol, so if we draft 24th and a top 20 stud falls to us . . . u would rather take Mack . . . who trust me by April will be rated in the 2nd round . . . over the top 20 guy. U take the BPA . . . and if that is Mack, ok . . . but he won't be, I feel confident in saying that. And I seriously doubt the Trifecta has C as their #1 priority in this draft. U think if Raji and Mack are there at 24 . . . they are selecting Mack . . . I mean I don't want to sound confident . . . and if they did select Mack I would trust their judgement . . . but I'm sure they would take the NT first.

I understand what u are saying . . . fact is, we have alot of "usable" guys . . . Roth, Hill, Ayodele, Ferguson, Satele, Goodman and Allen . . .

U are throwing out names and focusing on those guys solely . . . fact is there are ALOT of Centers in this draft that fit our system well and honestly there are a few that may end up being better than Mack with solid coaching. When u have a draft this deep at a position that is not in high demand . . . u can afford to wait. Supply and demand . . . this year has a supply of quality centers . . . 5 or 6 could start easily when its all said and done . . . but the demand isn't great, so they will fall.

That's why I think people who say he should be drafted first round is overrating him . . . it's not that I don't think he doesn't have first round value . . . its the fact that the demand for Center wont be high that early and we can afford to wait . . . and if we miss out on Mack its not the worst thing . . . yes IMO he is the best, but he doesn't blow everybody away. I think Caldwell could be a BEAST with solid coaching and Luigs . . . and LouphinFan said a great name with Wood. I would be happy with any one of these guys.

Give me a LB or a FS or even a CB before C in round 1 in this draft, I'm sorry, that is how I feel. We may be looking at RT also.

No need to apologize it's just my opinion that he's worthy of our selection, I understand why people would want an OLB ,NT or CB. I'd have no problem with Raji, Simtim or and shut down CB. I just think improving the Oline should be the #1 priority and the pass rush as #2, that's just my opinion.

Watch out for Eric Wood from Louisville. 6'3" 305 lbs. 4 year starter at center. Super intelligent kid and hard working. Spends loads of time in the film room. He could be had in the 3rd round assuming he doesn't leap up draft boards before April, which could be likely. The only reason he's rated lower now is because Louisville has fallen off the college football map due to a coaching change (don't go there :(). He's a Parcells type kid.

Profile:

hey you guys got lucky in that kentucky game... lol UK BABY

lol, so if we draft 24th and a top 20 stud falls to us . . . u would rather take Mack . . . who trust me by April will be rated in the 2nd round . . . over the top 20 guy. U take the BPA . . . and if that is Mack, ok . . . but he won't be, I feel confident in saying that. And I seriously doubt the Trifecta has C as their #1 priority in this draft. U think if Raji and Mack are there at 24 . . . they are selecting Mack . . . I mean I don't want to sound confident . . . and if they did select Mack I would trust their judgement . . . but I'm sure they would take the NT first.

Who says Mack isn't a top 20 prospect? I've seen mocks with him going well before us.

And you must not have paid much attention to my post. I said if a top ten caliber player slides to us we should take a look at him, I never said I'd rather take Mack over a top ten talent.

[fact is there are ALOT of Centers in this draft that fit our system well and honestly there are a few that may end up being better than Mack with solid coaching./QUOTE]

Wouldn't Mack also improve with solid coaching making him even better?

With TS being our head coach I'm pretty confident that what ever Center we get in FA or the draft we'll be alot better running between the tackles next season.

Profile:

Yea but can he move the pile because Mack moves the pile and he is a freakin anchor... and while C is rarely sought out in the first round if ever..., I don't know that this guy lasts #44..., and unless we actually upgrade why bother at all Satele is servicable... you cannot spend too many early poicks on Centers and not fall behind in this league... these other guys mentioned don't have first round qualities... Mack is a bonafide can't miss stud..., and vastly improves the run game and the passing game..., if we trade down from the first rd and still pick him I'm doing cart-wheels..., if we pick him in the first I would be happy but still be surprised..., I think they'll select a C on the first day though...

No need to apologize it's just my opinion that he's worthy of our selection, I understand why people would want an OLB ,NT or CB. I'd have no problem with Raji, Simtim or and shut down CB. I just think improving the Oline should be the #1 priority and the pass rush as #2, that's just my opinion.

We so agree... I expect the blue-print remains unchanged from when the Brass first sat down and hammered out the three yr plan

Correct me if I am wrong but....

I find it amazing that on a discussion on drafting centres nobody as far as I have seen has mentioned the versatile Max Unger?

Back
Top Bottom