Alex Smith/ Aaron Rogers=Ryan Leaf | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith/ Aaron Rogers=Ryan Leaf

sports24/7 said:
Well then the biggest knock on Tedford, Akili Smith, shouldn't be called a Tedford product either considering he only had him for a year as well. I would also think a coach would have more influence on a freshman than a senior as well.

true, but Akili Smith from being a late round pick/undrafted FA to a top 3 pick under Tedford.

Pericles349 said:
What do you guys think? I've read this in a couple of different places. Do you think that Rogers or Smith will end up another Leaf (minus the bad media attitude)?

Personally, I think Smith will make a good QB some day, I'm not so sure about Rogers. I don't think either will be another Leaf.

I think it's unfiar to tag these 2 guys like that. Leaf's problems were mental, not physical. He was a physically more imposing prospect than Manning was.
Hindsight is 20/20

ChambersWI said:
true, but Akili Smith from being a late round pick/undrafted FA to a top 3 pick under Tedford.

He was a one year wonder in college. Has nothing to do with Tedford. I was astounded that he went as high as he did. He is a player that I thought would be a bust. McNabb and Culpepper had a longer track record.

ChambersWI said:
Carr only had Tedford a year so I wouldn't call him a product of Tedford. I guess my biggest fear is he won't work well in our offense because it's not the West Coast Offense.

Actually, Carr was under Tedford for 2 years (at least that's what he said when asked about the Tedford curse on an NFL Network interview).

ChambersWI said:
It's kind of like comparing Braylon Edwards to David Terrell just because they both went to Michigan and both wore #1.

I know, that's kind of dumb because anyone who watches Michigan play would know that #1 is only given to their top WR for the year. Thus, every great WR out of Michigan has worn the #1 Jersey (for the most part).

Timmy54 said:
I have been saying this for the past 2 weeks. Both these guys will be busts, Rogers because he was coached to be a college qb by Jeff Tedford of Cal who is known for producing good college qb's that flop in the nfl. As for smith, he is a system qb that is being hyped up because of a down draft year. I can hear the bottom falling out now on both these guys!!!!

Bust!!!!
I agree

KB21 said:
I don't know why this myth is still going around. David Carr is a Tedford product, and he's the best young quarterback in the league. Joey Harrington is a Tedford product, and he's improved in each season he's been in the league. He had 19 TDs to 11 INTs last season while improving his QB Rating by 10 points. Kyle Boller is a Tedford product, and he improved tremendously over the course of last season.

The only Tedford product that has completely flopped in the NFL is Akili Smith.

Kyle Boller improved 14 points, and his main weapon (Heap) was dinged up all season.

I would take a look at the organizations these guys are going to as well.

Carr- New organization, and in 3 years that team has made big strides as has he.

Harrington- Lions organization was horrible, but is finally in the right direction. It's also not like Charles Rodgers has been any help. Harrington only got talent THIS year.

Boller- Drafted to a very good organization and improved his QB rating 14 points with crappy WR and a beat up TE.

I believe whoever the 49ers draft will struggle. Horrible ownership and limited talent on all 3 sides of the ball.

I'm hesistant about drafting a QB in the #2 because of the history of QB's being picked that high and not succeeding. I think Adrian McPherson will be a solid QB and should be available later in the draft. If we do a #2 pick we should go with a RB.

In any case, I don't think Smith or Rodgers has the potential to become a Ryan Leaf. He was a one of a kind bust. Rodgers and the Tedford connection worries me. I'd go with Smith at #2 if the QB is what Saban wants.

The media should shut up when it comes to listing players as busts in the middle of their first season. Dan Fouts, a pretty damned amazing quarterback, was darn near horrible for THREE YEARS before he started to turn the corner.

Ryan Leaf was the worse pick at that value since the draft started...if he was selected in the 5th or 6th round...you could expect that...but the fact that he was selected SO early...he is considered the biggest bust in recent sports history

you cant judge rodgers

In fact I think Alex Smith will be a huge bust, but watching rodgers in that one game against the raves made me excited for his future, he made a few mistakes but overall he looked good

Either way neither will be leaf

KB21 said:
I don't know why this myth is still going around. David Carr is a Tedford product, and he's the best young quarterback in the league. Joey Harrington is a Tedford product, and he's improved in each season he's been in the league. He had 19 TDs to 11 INTs last season while improving his QB Rating by 10 points. Kyle Boller is a Tedford product, and he improved tremendously over the course of last season.

The only Tedford product that has completely flopped in the NFL is Akili Smith.

I disagree I think Palmer is the Best young QB in the league.

Back
Top Bottom