Alex Smith Describes Flores To A T! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith Describes Flores To A T!

I feel like that offense under BB never would have developed if they hadn’t stumbled on Brady and Bledsoe hadn’t gone down with that injury. He probably would have continued to have strong defenses but hit or miss offenses that would keep them in the middle-of-the-pack with the occasional playoff appearance.
Then where did some of his more prominent offensive talent come from, for instance, his receivers like Gronk?

Then where did some of his more prominent offensive talent come from, for instance, his receivers like Gronk?
Oh don’t get me wrong, he did a phenomenal job of bringing in players that gave him creative mismatches and great role players, but I don’t really think he has that luxury without TB.

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony
Nobody's perfect, except for a select few of us of course. - LOL

Flores inherited a roster that by opening day was the worst in the league. He coached up the D to a better than acceptable level but never got the offence part right. I would bet 3 years of the same offensive coordinator would have yielded better results.

They were both defensive coaches, anyway. Andy Reid is who saved Alex Smith's career.
Smith was playing well when he was replaced by Kaepernick. He got replaced in San Fran for the same reason in KC, he was good but really just a game manager.

Oh don’t get me wrong, he did a phenomenal job of bringing in players that gave him creative mismatches and great role players, but I don’t really think he has that luxury without TB.
I agree.
I am pointing out that there was more than on "part" to that offense.
Belichick did draft Brady, so there is that. - LOL

What are your talking about?!

This thread is crazy. I know most Dolphins fans hate Flores, but to say he set this team back is ludicrous.

I know it’s a waste of time to point out facts when people’s minds are made up, but I am choosing to waste my time anyways right now.

Flores took a team that went through a complete tear down his first year, refused to lose games intentionally after being offered $100,000 per loss on multiple occasions by Ross to secure the #1 pick, and closed out the season 5-4 after everyone thought Miami was tanking after starting the season 0-7.

The next two years lead Miami to their first back-to-back winning seasons over the past 20 years.

The Dolphins went 8-1 in Flores last 9 games, 19-12 in Flores last 31 and that included a 7 games losing streak in which Tua was hurt and missed games with significantly bruised ribs and a broken middle finger on his throwing hand.

When Flores was fired Miami had a good young core of Tua, Jackson, Hunt, Gesicki, Waddle, Parker, Wilkins, Ogbah, Sieler, Williams, Davis, Baker, AVG, X, By Jones, Holland, and B Jones.

Miami had a plethora of draft picks that included and additional “3” 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 2-4ths, and a 6th over the past two years Miami either traded away or penalized due to Ross.

Miami also had the most amount of $$$$ to spend in free agency when Flores was fired.

Flores didn’t set Miami back, he set them up for success.

If Miami ends up being set back it’s due to the lofty number of draft picks traded away and large contracts for the players they gave away those draft picks for.

That is what often sets teams back. Take a look at the Rams right now.

We’ll see how well Grier and McD do moving forward, but that’s on them not Flores.
Bottom line is...

2020 offense was 25th in yards and 19th in Pts
2021 offense was 26th in yards and 27th in Pts

On such a team, 8-9 wins is the ceiling and achieving that ceiling is the most detrimental thing that could happen because it gets guys to keep their job. Thank god Flores was an absolute moron and found a way to get fired.

I feel like that offense under BB never would have developed if they hadn’t stumbled on Brady and Bledsoe hadn’t gone down with that injury. He probably would have continued to have strong defenses but hit or miss offenses that would keep them in the middle-of-the-pack with the occasional playoff appearance.
Brady… like him or not was an inspirational motivator on the sidelines. No QB had a more virulent strain of aggressiveness on and off the field, including Montana and Marino.

There is no excusing the malfunction of Flores, beyond the being “defensive minded” or not…he just wasn’t good with relationships and it set this franchise back in this whole rebuild in
Many ways…….
Yeah this seems to be accurate

I feel dumb as hell for the belief I had in him..

I even took his side when Minkah requested a trade

What the hell was I thinking, a great first round prospect that Nick Saban respected so much, wanted out because his head coach was a douchbag..

Singletary with Alex Smith actually does seem to parallel Flores with Tua perfectly. Hopefully McDaniel can do what Harbaugh couldn't and push this team all the way. That 49ers team should have made a super bowl with Smith and they got absolutely screwed over by their punt returner (feel really bad for that guy) and his 2 fumbles, Smith balled out against that defense. I was so pissed as I couldn't stand Eli Manning and the Giants.

Smith's gotta be one of the most unlucky almost great QBs in the history of the league, under better circumstances he easily could have been a hall of fame type player. Just between dumpster fire Singletary offense mgmt and oline, brutal Giants NFC champ, concussion losing job to Kap, and then the horrific Washington injury he had some truly raw deals. Oh yeah he also got to lose to Luck's jesus type comeback performance haha the more I think about it the worse it gets.

Praying that Tua's career goes better than Smith's did.

Singletary with Alex Smith actually does seem to parallel Flores with Tua perfectly. Hopefully McDaniel can do what Harbaugh couldn't and push this team all the way. That 49ers team should have made a super bowl with Smith and they got absolutely screwed over by their punt returner (feel really bad for that guy) and his 2 fumbles, Smith balled out against that defense. I was so pissed as I couldn't stand Eli Manning and the Giants.

Smith's gotta be one of the most unlucky almost great QBs in the history of the league, under better circumstances he easily could have been a hall of fame type player. Just between dumpster fire Singletary offense mgmt and oline, brutal Giants NFC champ, concussion losing job to Kap, and then the horrific Washington injury he had some truly raw deals. Oh yeah he also got to lose to Luck's jesus type comeback performance haha the more I think about it the worse it gets.

Praying that Tua's career goes better than Smith's did.

I couldn't agree more.
I never understood why they got rid of Smith.
I was sure they were making a mistake getting rid of Smith then; and now there is no question in my mind that they did themselves, Smith, and their team a dis-service with that action.

Back
Top Bottom