Alex Smith's Contract | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith's Contract

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Much has been said of this recently, reports are saying that Smith is asking for more money than Eli Manning if he is drafted 1st overall, and because of this SF is thinking about going with Rodgers because he will be cheaper.. But this is what strikes me as odd.. Smith will NOT be making anywhere near Eli money if he isnt drafted first overall.. If the Phins pick him, they wont even be paying him Aaron Rodgers money! So why on Earth would he make these demands? Sounds really odd and fishy to me.

Sounds like he is making sure that the 49ers don't draft him. He must really want to play for Saban
SkapePhin said:
Much has been said of this recently, reports are saying that Smith is asking for more money than Eli Manning if he is drafted 1st overall, and because of this SF is thinking about going with Rodgers because he will be cheaper.. But this is what strikes me as odd.. Smith will NOT be making anywhere near Eli money if he isnt drafted first overall.. If the Phins pick him, they wont even be paying him Aaron Rodgers money! So why on Earth would he make these demands? Sounds really odd and fishy to me.

Phinsfan1980 said:
Sounds like he is making sure that the 49ers don't draft him. He must really want to play for Saban
++

I can agree with that. I think between the two interviews, maybe Alex came away much more impressed and confident of the direction of the Dolphins and Saban's leadership than that of Mike Nolan. Just my opinion.

According to some reports Smith's agent is trying to steer him to the Dolphins because he thinks its a better situation for him.The niners owner has a reputation for being a cheapskate(Employees have to pay for their personal mail).On the other hand Wayne H is know as a owner who has deep pocketbooks.

CrunchTime said:
According to some reports Smith's agent is trying to steer him to the Dolphins because he thinks its a better situation for him.The niners owner has a reputation for being a cheapskate(Employees have to pay for their personal mail).On the other hand Wayne H is know as a owner who is quite open to
suggestions.

that and Nolan has come out and said he has Rodgers rated higher than Smith.

Maybe it's just me, but does anybody else get the impression Saban really wants Smith? I mean they had a private screening after Smith's workout, they (along with Spielman) had breakfast together, and Smith came in for a 3rd workout earlier this week.

We haven't even talked to Rodgers to my knowledge.

Sounds like YET another reason we should trade our pick to Tampa.

Paying a quarterback a salary cap busting contract when he won't be ready to play for possibly 2-3 years sounds like a bad idea on a team that could win right now if they get a quality running game and functional q.b. play.

I just hope we make that trade with Tampa and don't have to worry about Smith's Contract

I think its more that he is insuring that the 49ers don't take him. I don't think he wants to be there.
unifiedtheory said:

Paying a quarterback a salary cap busting contract when he won't be ready to play for possibly 2-3 years sounds like a bad idea on a team that could win right now if they get a quality running game and functional q.b. play.

I believe that Smith's familiarity with Linehan (and vice versa) could be a factor for the thinking that Smith is more comfortable. Linehan recruited the guy in college using the same type offense. A players comfort level with coaches shouldn't be overlooked. It can have a major effect on the players developement.

If I'm San Fran - I'm drafting Rodgers simply b/c he's played in a WC Off. and can come in immediately.

But, if I'm Miami - I'd rather have Alex Smith.

The only negative about drafting Smith is this - we have no 2nd round pick. Which means, we've wasted our 2nd round pick completely. And, it gives us 4 draft picks starting in round 3, to rebuild the team?

Not good. But, if we are stuck with #2, it might as well be the best player available - and if that's Smith, then so be it.

Da 'Fins said:
If I'm San Fran - I'm drafting Rodgers simply b/c he's played in a WC Off. and can come in immediately.

But, if I'm Miami - I'd rather have Alex Smith.

The only negative about drafting Smith is this - we have no 2nd round pick. Which means, we've wasted our 2nd round pick completely. And, it gives us 4 draft picks starting in round 3, to rebuild the team?

Not good. But, if we are stuck with #2, it might as well be the best player available - and if that's Smith, then so be it.

I think if we draft Smith, big IF, then we go to training camp with Feeley, Frerotte, Smith and Sage. I think that IF, big IF again, Feeley doesn't win the job outright we look to Chicago and try to trade Feeley for a 3 or 4rd pick next year. Yes, I'd rather get back a 2nd but I believe we won't get it. When we traded for him there were 2 other teams involved and they both offered 3rd round picks to Phili. I think we'd get something in the 3-4 range from Chicago since they have a totally unsure QB situation, especially at backup. IMO

unifiedtheory said:

the thing is we can't win right now. we are in a very tough division. if we want to realistically compete for the future we need a future qb.

unifiedtheory said:

But we probably won't get all those things as soon as you think. A QB is a good choice for the fins. There are other good choices too, but don't balk at thinking a couple years ahead. Short term thinking is what got us into the current mess. Be a bit patient, Zach and JT aren't that old yet!

dolphan north said:
But we probably won't get all those things as soon as you think. A QB is a good choice for the fins. There are other good choices too, but don't balk at thinking a couple years ahead. Short term thinking is what got us into the current mess. Be a bit patient, Zach and JT aren't that old yet!

i couldn't agree any more. wanny's stupid short term thinking is why this team is what it is now.

Back
Top Bottom