All but two teams went to see Manziel and Evans workout. We went! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All but two teams went to see Manziel and Evans workout. We went!

Mike Evans is going to suck in the NFL the first couple of years. He will turn good but at first he's going to not get separation. He's not that good at it now. Sammy Watkins is the best WR in the class. Marquise Lee is up there but his routes aren't that crisp.

Cough, cough........okay...lol

Johnny is a smaller, faster, arrogant version of St Timothy. His predecessor @ A & M is much better.

p.s. I loved JM2 in the Dark Knight Rises

Johnny Manziel is a much better quarterback than Tim Tebow. I'm skeptical of him as a future pro, but comparing him to Tebow is outrageous.

i saw what looked like one of our scouts i didnt see our qb coach or oc and the scout was way down the sideline not even with the group of qb needy teams trying to get a real up close look...translation miamis not going qb anyways with a high pick

as for the performance he threw the deep ball beautifully i mean over the proper shoulder dropped in the bucket routinely...his arm angle dropped when he tried to put something on the ball in the intermediate range and they flat avoided any opposite hash 18 to 22 yard routes outside the numbers cause his arm wouldn't have shown well...

bottom line is if you are minnesota at #8 and spielman knows that if he doesnt find a qb and win he's toast anyways likely next year why not take a shot on this kid...but you better tailor your offense to his strengths...

top 10 pick just don't ask him to make a lot of intermediate throws on route calls outside the numbers and even down the seam his arm can get you in trouble unless he shows very good eye discipline in his drop etc...

minnesota at #8...it ends there...kid oozes confidence and i'm the man

i think 3 qbs are going in front of us...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dolphins need linemen, a LB and DB's. I would not rule out an elite TE early because the class is so weak at the bottom.

My dilemma is not a WR at 19, but do you take a RT like Morgan Moses or wait until round two for that and select Ryan Shazier. If Eric Ebron is there, I have that debate as well. A LB that can run and cover is almost as vital as RT at this point.

Old Gil Brandt may be going a bit senile but he loves both of them and he's seen and drafted a lot of good players. He rates Johnny Manziel as the absolute best player in the Draft. He also rates Mike Evans as having exceptional talent to catch the ball, even comparing him to Calvin Johnson.
Make no mistake, Evans got Manziel out of a stack of problems in many games because of his ability to outreach defenders. It is possible that Evans is so good that he helps to make Manziel look good. This could be analogous to the likes of Aaron Hernandez and Riley Cooper catching everything at Tim Tebow's pro day display that got the experts all excited and helped his draft stock.
I don't know just how good Evans is, but Gil Brandt rating him up there with Calvin Johnson is exceptionally high praise. If he is anywhere near Calvin Johnson's ability, we may have picked the wrong year to move up in the Draft.

gil brandt is nuts if he thinks mike evans is calvin johnson...plain nuts...he'll win in the red zone cause he's very physical but he cries about the contact he gets back and does not show separation on tape...lot of college dbs even in his hip

it's possible he gives you say 8 tds as a rookie given the size and the red zone win abilities one on one where you can just throw it up and tell him to go get it but his overall production as i see it at least will be about how much nfl officials let him get away with

calvin johnson level pro though...ha ha **** no

I doubt we we looking at only those 2 guys. the rest of the Texas A&M draft class was working out were they not? meaning Jake Mathews and others aswell?

He will be the first pick. To many people over think it. The Texans got toasted by the fan base for not taking Vince Young (from Texas) and even after it was clear they had the right pick instead of young the fans still held it against the Texans. JF is from A&M which Houston is far more than UT. They have billboards in Houston pushing the Texans to draft JF. Pretty much everyone local expects a QB to be the Texans first pick. After his pro day many are saying he looks better than any of the other QB's in the draft. If Houston took another QB and JF proved to be a top NFL QB Houston would explode. On the other hand they take JF and he is a bust nobody will bitch any. Its just a smart business decision. Also it's hard to not draft a guy when a former President, current Governor, and standing US Congressman are at that players the pro day.

IMO JF will prove to be a good NFL QB. To many people don't have a clue who JF is and what he can do. Anyone who claim he can't throw the ball simple don't watch him play. You don't get a completion ratio of near 70% and average near 4000 yards in each of your two season in the SEC if you can not throw. Anyone who compares JF to Teebow should just be ignored. They play nothing alike, JF had a higher completion ratio and about 1300 more yards a year then Teebow.

You mean 90% of this board?

This is a 2 birds and 1 stone scenario. Keep in mind good/great GMs are students of players. How often do you hear a GM/Coach say "we were high on him coming into the draft"?

GMs and Coaches study as many players as they can, regardless of need, before the draft. Many they will keep up with throughout their career. It serves many purposes. While they may not be able to be in a position to draft the kid, they may be in a position to acquire him via trade or FA down the road. They don't want to have an unknown quantity or point of reference in their analysis of a player at the moment he becomes available. If Hickey didn't follow Moreno coming into the draft, he would not know if certain qualities he has now could be seen back then. Furthermore, he wouldn't know if some habits were acquired after being drafted or existed before.

You can't know everything about a player, but the more you know about his history and current skill set can help you make a better judgement. Also, if a unique player comes into the league GMs watch his development. They look for techniques that helped him succeed and/or fail. When they see a similar player coming into the draft in the future, they have a better understanding of what is needed to help him succeed on their team. How many people here understand that being able to develop Russell Wilson probably has a lot of teachings from Drew Brees' career in it?

Do you think every good GM in the league hasn't watched Cam Newton and RG III's development?

You may not draft a kid, but he may be able to teach you a lot for the future.

The second stone is using the veil of a major name player's Pro Day to inspect lesser known players also their. Maybe Mike Evans is a target, maybe some OLineman, as well. Either way, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Hickey and Staff are out there doing their job.

It does make me wonder why Hickey hasn't sniffed on Blount yet. I mean, he does have first hand knowledge of the kid. Maybe he's an "after the draft" possibility. Because I think we all agree that Moreno is more like Miller. We still need someone to replace the role of DT.

i cant believe some of the bull i read about manziel on this thread. this kid will be elite very quickly and theres not a doubt in my mind he goes 1st overall. as soon as he became the starter at a&m, they became a much, much better team. the texans would be absolutely nuts if they dont take him. hes a very rare talent and his attitude is what makes him great.

You people do realize that scouts and coaches attend Pro Days with no intention of drafting players from that team? Its called research......as it's likely every coach and team in the NFL will play against these players at some point.

Us being there means nothing other than we want to gather information about the players.

Dude that's what preseason and game tape is for. You don't go to scout someone at a pro day to get info on them in case you play against them. LOL
What kind of info can you possibly glean from watching a pro day that will help you to prepare to play against them. Damm some people.

Yea, because A&M got so much worse when they went from Tannehill to Manziel at QB............

OH. Wait......

Yea, becasue A&M got so much worse when they went from Sherman to Sumlin at HC...........

OH. Wait......

He has poor mechanics, to say the least. His- matt moore like- throwing motion hurts him in the middle of the field. guy is a certified point guard playing quarterback. His improv like quarterbacking skills are top notch, but how will it translate to the nfl? you aren't throwing off your back-foot or jumping and completing balls in the nfl. he's going to throw ALOT of picks, and it's funny how no body is talking about that. He's not a first years starter, and will need time to develop. Please stop saying he will be successful because of russell wilson. They are not the same player! Russell and brees have nfl standard throwing motions, and can make all the throws. Manziel CANNOT throw slants consistently, and has shown often to have balls float on him in the middle of the field (lsu game). He's not a first round talent, but neither was favre. He may have favre like intangibles to make it in the pros, but remember... he doesn't have favre like arm strength or size.

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

didn't case keenum dominate in his system?

Thirty NFL teams sent representatives to watch quarterback Johnny Manziel and wide receiver Mike Evans work out, including eight head coaches and eight general managers. The Cleveland Brownsand Chicago Bears were the only two teams that didn't attend the event, NFL Media's Albert Breer reported.

One would assume we weren't there for Manziel, so could we possibly be thinking about moving up for Evans (one can only dream)?

We can't possibly think he would fall to us, so I am hoping we are thinking about moving up for him, or why else would we attend.

Not sure why you would hope he falls to is or we move up as he's got bust written all over him, but whatever you say

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom