All-NFL Team | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All-NFL Team

Ok a quick reponse to all the statements...

Pete was indeed a kicker, but he could punt as well, maybe I did stretch it putting him at punter. I had actually forgot all about Ray Guy, to be honest.

Peyton Manning is a mentionable, but he needs to maintain his current gameplay for a few more years, and a superbowl would make it definate.

In my mind there are way to many great runningbacks, and because of that many greats won't get mention. Marcus Allen didn't make the cut, the other guys where just up on him too much. Priests Holmes?! Are we talking about the Priest Holmes who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs, and has only been a starter for like 4 seasons out of his career? He was not even considered for the mentionables list, sorry.

Derrick Thomas probably should have been a mentionable, but he can not start over those linebackers in the list - there is just no way. In all reality his talent probably surpasses them, but you need to compensate for eras as well. when those linebackers played in their eras, they dominated teams, and changed the course of games.

As for Surtain - I am a homer, but not that much. He is nowhere near Prime Time, Night Train, or Bullet. Don't get me wrong I love Surtain, but he still has a long ways to go to be an all-time great.

Sammy Knight? You kidding me? He has nothing on any of the safeties I used. If any current playing safety should be mentioned, it would probably be John Lynch.

Bruce Smith is definately a mentionable. He was heavily thought about, and didn't make the cut. He does indeed own the sack record, but that could be credited to how long he played and teams around him. In my mind he was never as dominant i nthe game as some of the other all-time DEs. Mind you he had his moments. Maybe when he gets in the HOF he will raise in stock on this list. His 4 superbowl appearences are always nice (sorry Bills fans, just had to). :D :D

Yes Bo Jackson just had to be mention. Had he played a full career Emmitt Smith would probably still be playing today trying to catch some records. Bo knows, he is simply amazing.

Tony Richardson was a toss up, but he has been consistent and a great player. In modern-day fullback type of position I believe he is the best, but its a tight race. There are alot you can argue, and it just depends on who you've seen dominate the most I suppose.

I had thought about Rod Woodson, and really he could make the team as a fifth corner, so I will add that. But he has never changed games like the other corners have. I put him one step up on Surtain, but still not quite there, a few more years would be nice for him - just 3 average, or better years.

I had to put Dan Hampton up there. He was a key part of the Bears NEAR PERFECT team, and his versatility was great. He landed in the HOF, and he was a gamebreaker for several years. I just can't think of anyone more deserving, although it was a close race with him and a few others.

As for Swann being over-rated, I hate it when people say that. Its disguiting the lack of credit he gets. I watched hours of this guy on gametape and had he just played a career as long as J.Rice he would be considered the second best receiver all-time by more than a few critics.

I am a homer, don't get me wrong. Dwight is a great guy, and I wanted him on that badly. But in his eight years of play he just didn't cut what it takes to be all-time. To be honest Dermonti Dawson was a close race himself, but he surpassed Dwight Stephenson, no doubt.

MiamiDolfans said:
Ok a quick reponse to all the statements...

Pete was indeed a kicker, but he could punt as well, maybe I did stretch it putting him at punter. I had actually forgot all about Ray Guy, to be honest.

Peyton Manning is a mentionable, but he needs to maintain his current gameplay for a few more years, and a superbowl would make it definate.

In my mind there are way to many great runningbacks, and because of that many greats won't get mention. Marcus Allen didn't make the cut, the other guys where just up on him too much. Priests Holmes?! Are we talking about the Priest Holmes who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs, and has only been a starter for like 4 seasons out of his career? He was not even considered for the mentionables list, sorry.

Derrick Thomas probably should have been a mentionable, but he can not start over those linebackers in the list - there is just no way. In all reality his talent probably surpasses them, but you need to compensate for eras as well. when those linebackers played in their eras, they dominated teams, and changed the course of games.

As for Surtain - I am a homer, but not that much. He is nowhere near Prime Time, Night Train, or Bullet. Don't get me wrong I love Surtain, but he still has a long ways to go to be an all-time great.

Sammy Knight? You kidding me? He has nothing on any of the safeties I used. If any current playing safety should be mentioned, it would probably be John Lynch.

Bruce Smith is definately a mentionable. He was heavily thought about, and didn't make the cut. He does indeed own the sack record, but that could be credited to how long he played and teams around him. In my mind he was never as dominant i nthe game as some of the other all-time DEs. Mind you he had his moments. Maybe when he gets in the HOF he will raise in stock on this list. His 4 superbowl appearences are always nice (sorry Bills fans, just had to). :D :D

Yes Bo Jackson just had to be mention. Had he played a full career Emmitt Smith would probably still be playing today trying to catch some records. Bo knows, he is simply amazing.

Tony Richardson was a toss up, but he has been consistent and a great player. In modern-day fullback type of position I believe he is the best, but its a tight race. There are alot you can argue, and it just depends on who you've seen dominate the most I suppose.

I had thought about Rod Woodson, and really he could make the team as a fifth corner, so I will add that. But he has never changed games like the other corners have. I put him one step up on Surtain, but still not quite there, a few more years would be nice for him - just 3 average, or better years.

I had to put Dan Hampton up there. He was a key part of the Bears NEAR PERFECT team, and his versatility was great. He landed in the HOF, and he was a gamebreaker for several years. I just can't think of anyone more deserving, although it was a close race with him and a few others.

As for Swann being over-rated, I hate it when people say that. Its disguiting the lack of credit he gets. I watched hours of this guy on gametape and had he just played a career as long as J.Rice he would be considered the second best receiver all-time by more than a few critics.

I am a homer, don't get me wrong. Dwight is a great guy, and I wanted him on that badly. But in his eight years of play he just didn't cut what it takes to be all-time. To be honest Dermonti Dawson was a close race himself, but he surpassed Dwight Stephenson, no doubt.

You weren't around when Stephenson was doing his thing so you really have nothing to compare him to. The fact that Stephenson made the HOF despite having his career cut short speaks volume of the respect players, coaches, and the HOF voters have for him.

phinfan2003 said:
You weren't around when Stephenson was doing his thing so you really have nothing to compare him to. The fact that Stephenson made the HOF despite having his career cut short speaks volume of the respect players, coaches, and the HOF voters have for him.

I wasn't around for 90% of these players, but I have seen hours and hours of gametapes, studied statistics, and have alot of knowledge of Dwight in specific. I didn't say he doesn't deserve the HOF, he's just not a top 2 center all-time.

Your preaching to the preacher. I love Dwight, he is one of my favourite Dolphins ever, but he just doesn't deserve to be on that list.

The man averaged 37 recs, 607 yds, 6 TDs a season. Those are not HOF #s, I realize it's a different era but in any era those are nowhere near HOF #s. He was top 10 in recs just twice(finishing just 7th both times), top 10 in rec yards just 3 times(just once in top 5 w/ a 4th place finish being his highest), was top 10 in rec TDs just 3 times(actually led the league once). The man is not a HOFer and it's not even close. He made the Hall b/c he was a good guy and his media campaign eventually wore down the voters after 20 years. It's a travesty he's in the Hall as he wasn't even a borderline HOFer.

MiamiDolfans said:
I think Warren Moon should also be a mentionable on that list... I believe he revolutionized "athletic quarterbacks".

Warren Moon did alot for football. He revolutionized the CFL and have quite an impressive NFL career...but one thing he was never considered was an "athletic" QB. Moon averaged about 150 yards a season mostly evading the rush. Moons career total was 1700 yards for 17 years....Elway on the other hand if you want to compare had over 3400 yards for 16 years. Thats revolutionizing the "athletic" QB. I loved watching Moon play he was one of my favs, but he was no athletic QB

nyjunc said:
The man averaged 37 recs, 607 yds, 6 TDs a season. Those are not HOF #s, I realize it's a different era but in any era those are nowhere near HOF #s. He was top 10 in recs just twice(finishing just 7th both times), top 10 in rec yards just 3 times(just once in top 5 w/ a 4th place finish being his highest), was top 10 in rec TDs just 3 times(actually led the league once). The man is not a HOFer and it's not even close. He made the Hall b/c he was a good guy and his media campaign eventually wore down the voters after 20 years. It's a travesty he's in the Hall as he wasn't even a borderline HOFer.

That is the biggest thing I hear over and over, so he didn't have the numer. First off he played in a different era, so that compensates a bit. Not to mention he was on a team who's running game was sounds to say the least. The guy has 4 rings, and if you actually watch some of his gametapes, ignore the numbers - and watch what he does. His ability is amazing, his catches make Jerry Rice look like a pop warner player. Lynn Swann is one of the greatest all-time, but this is a debate that will last forever. Only thing that gets me on it is the critics, who are hypocrits. The guys who say Dan doesn't deserve it because he has no rings, say Swanns rings don't count, and he needs stats. Flip-flop, flip-flop.

MiamiDolfans said:
I wasn't around for 90% of these players, but I have seen hours and hours of gametapes, studied statistics, and have alot of knowledge of Dwight in specific. I didn't say he doesn't deserve the HOF, he's just not a top 2 center all-time.

Your preaching to the preacher. I love Dwight, he is one of my favourite Dolphins ever, but he just doesn't deserve to be on that list.

If you don't think Stephenson belongs because he was surpassed by Dawson, how can you put a guy like Sterling Sharpe on the list whose career was also cut short by injuries. Sure he had a couple 100 catch seasons and he was very good but definitely not one of the top 10 WR of all time.

merlin00069 said:
Warren Moon did alot for football. He revolutionized the CFL and have quite an impressive NFL career...but one thing he was never considered was an "athletic" QB. Moon averaged about 150 yards a season mostly evading the rush. Moons career total was 1700 yards for 17 years....Elway on the other hand if you want to compare had over 3400 yards for 16 years. Thats revolutionizing the "athletic" QB. I loved watching Moon play he was one of my favs, but he was no athletic QB

I am sorry, it is my ignorance that has made you blind to this. When you look at what an athletic quarterback is today, it often refers to quaterbacks of color.

Vick
Culpepper
McNabb

That's why I used it in quotations. You'll never hear anyone talk about Feidler, or any other actually athletic quarterback as an "athletic quaterback", it seems the name has been reserved for black quarterbacks. In all honesty that is what I had been referring to, he revolutionized the world of black quarterbacks.

MiamiDolfans said:
That is the biggest thing I hear over and over, so he didn't have the numer. First off he played in a different era, so that compensates a bit. Not to mention he was on a team who's running game was sounds to say the least. The guy has 4 rings, and if you actually watch some of his gametapes, ignore the numbers - and watch what he does. His ability is amazing, his catches make Jerry Rice look like a pop warner player. Lynn Swann is one of the greatest all-time, but this is a debate that will last forever. Only thing that gets me on it is the critics, who are hypocrits. The guys who say Dan doesn't deserve it because he has no rings, say Swanns rings don't count, and he needs stats. Flip-flop, flip-flop.

You don't get into the Hall based on ability, you get there based on production. You won't find many more physically gifted QBs than Jeff george should he be a HOFer? The Steelers won 4 SBs w/ great D and a good O. It's ridiculous for that offense to have as many HOFers as they have and Swann is at the bottom of the list. They had an incredible advantage over any other offense b/c they knew they could make mistakes and still win b/c of their D. Swann was nowhere near the leaders during his era, he led in 1 category over his 9 yar career- ONE! and he was barely in the top 10 in other categories during his career. He does not belong, he's not even a borderline candidate. It is an absolute joke and a slap in the face to real HOFers that he is in.

phinfan2003 said:
If you don't think Stephenson belongs because he was surpassed by Dawson, how can you put a guy like Sterling Sharpe on the list whose career was also cut short by injuries. Sure he had a couple 100 catch seasons and he was very good but definitely not one of the top 10 WR of all time.

I suppose it is opinion, my list was made up of the following things...

statistics
records
superbowl rings
probowls
career length
hall of fame
in-game dominance
important to team

In my mind Dawson was a better total in the catagories combined, and he just beat out Stephenson... simple as that. Are you Dwight's son or something? You seem outrageously offended...

Sterling Sharpe is definately a top receiver. He had the stats, had the honors, records, etc. etc. blah. blah. He was cut short with injury, so was Bo Jackson and he is still on my list. Stephenson didn't get cut just for a short career. It's a combination of everythin that makes a football player great. Sharpe gets on, Dawson gets on, Stephenson doesn't.

nyjunc said:
You don't get into the Hall based on ability, you get there based on production. You won't find many more physically gifted QBs than Jeff george should he be a HOFer? The Steelers won 4 SBs w/ great D and a good O. It's ridiculous for that offense to have as many HOFers as they have and Swann is at the bottom of the list. They had an incredible advantage over any other offense b/c they knew they could make mistakes and still win b/c of their D. Swann was nowhere near the leaders during his era, he led in 1 category over his 9 yar career- ONE! and he was barely in the top 10 in other categories during his career. He does not belong, he's not even a borderline candidate. It is an absolute joke and a slap in the face to real HOFers that he is in.

Tell that to him.
Tell that to Terry Bradshaw.
Tell that to Chuck Noll.
Tell that to any Steelers fan, or anyone who has ever watched him play.

He is not in solely based on talent, but a combination. HOF is NOT based on numbers, its based on great football players, the greatest ever. That is talent, stats, records, superbowls, probowls, other honors, and the public opinion. There is no doubt he deserves it.

MiamiDolfans said:
I suppose it is opinion, my list was made up of the following things...

statistics
records
superbowl rings
probowls
career length
hall of fame
in-game dominance
important to team

In my mind Dawson was a better total in the catagories combined, and he just beat out Stephenson... simple as that. Are you Dwight's son or something? You seem outrageously offended...

Sterling Sharpe is definately a top receiver. He had the stats, had the honors, records, etc. etc. blah. blah. He was cut short with injury, so was Bo Jackson and he is still on my list. Stephenson didn't get cut just for a short career. It's a combination of everythin that makes a football player great. Sharpe gets on, Dawson gets on, Stephenson doesn't.

I'm sorry for disputing your list of so called "all-time greatest". There are a lot of flaws with your team but it is your opinion. At least you found something productive to do with all of you research. :up:

MiamiDolfans said:
***SOME CHANGES HAVE OCCURED***
Ray Guy @ punter
Rod Woodson @ 5th corner (was previously only 4 corners)
A few more mentionables added

I know we just had a post about this, but I spent a few hours researching this and didn't want to just reply to the thread. In relation to the other post, here is my response on an all NFL-Team...

QB
D.Marino
J.Montana
J.Elway
HB
B.Sanders
O.Simpson*
W.Peyton
J.Brown
B.Jackson*
FB
L.Csonka
T.Richardson*
TE
S.Sharpe
M.Ditka
K.Winslow
WR
J. Rice
C.Carter
L.Swann*
S.Sharpe
R.Moss*
LT
A.Munoz
Webb
LG
G.Upshaw
J.Otto
C
J.Langer
D.Dawson
RG
L.Little
J.DeLamielleure*
RT
A.Shell
J.Slater
D.Dierdorf
LE
D.Jones
R.White
RE
R.Dent
H.Long*
DT
W.Perry
D.Hampton
J.Greene
LOLB
L.Taylor
J.Ham
N.Buoniconti*
MLB
J.Lambert
M.Singletary
D.Butkus
R.Lewis*
ROLB
W.Lanier
R.Nitschke
CB
D.Sanders
D.Lane
H.Adderley
M.Renfro
R.Woodson*
FS
S.Atwater
K. Houston
SS
R.Lott
P. Krause
K
G.Anderson
P
R.Guy
Coach
V.Lombardi
D.Shula
T.Landry
B.Belichick*
Other Mentionables
J.Unitas
R.Staubach
T.Aikman
B.Starr
J.Namath
E.Smith
L.Allen
W.Allen
C.Noll
B.Walsh
A.Davis
W.Moon
D.Stephenson
P.Manning
P.Stoyanovich
R.Roby
B.Smith

Ok, so I spent a few hours comparing a few guys trying to get a breakdown. But for the most part I have known these guys long before I made this. Of course it can't be prefectly true, I am 15 years old, and missed some great days of football. But based on games I have seen, classic footage, statistics, pro-bowls, mvps, other awards, super-bowls, and shear game-breaking ability... that is my roster. Players with stars beside their names are questionables.

I know alot of guys wouldn't put O.J. on this list, but simply put he ran for 2000+ yards in 13 games, on a a terrible team. There is no doubt in my mind he is one of the best running backs ever to play in the NFL.

Bo Jackson in my opinion deserves to be there, but many may disagree. He is and was one of the greatest athletes of all-time. The only thing keeping him from being a definate was an unfortunate injury that held him short.

Tony Richardson is still playing, but needless to say has been a force at FB. He is a threat in many aspects of the game, and in my opinion if he finishes out a few more years with KC (maybe win a superbowl), and gets into the hall of fame in a few years he is a definate starter on this team.

Lynn Swann is terribly under-rated, since the basterds finally let him in the hall of fame there is no argueing his position on the all-time list.

Randy Moss is half man, and half amazing, but he has major attitude problems. If he can maintain his play for a few more years and drop the attitude he is a definate member of this team, but no doubt it lower in the ranks. A superbowl and trip to the hall would really help him out also.

Joe DeLamielleure was a bill... just joking :p. He was a tough toss up with a few other guys, but after looking at some gametapes, and in-game effectiveness he tipped the scale.

Personally I hate Howie Long, but I had to put him there... credit goes, where credit is due.

Nick Buoniconti is probably only on this list because I am a homer, but really he is a hall of famer, he played with the undefeated Dolphins, and was truly outstanding when no one even knew his name.

Ray Lewis is in the same boat as Randy Moss as far as I am concerned. If he can play a few more years at his current level, stay away from injury, and get into the hall, then he is more than deserving to be on this list.

Last but not least I had to add good old Bill to the list of coaches. He is still unconfirmed in this position, but if he can hold out a few more years as a coach, without completely crumbling he is up there. If he can maintain his current situation it is possible for him to pass some of the coaches ahead of him.

I still believe R.Woodson has a bit to go to make this list. But when comparing he does deserve to be at least mentioned. I decided we'd go with 5 corners and add him to the roster. He needs a few more years of consistency, and to get into the HOF.

Last comment I promise! Is that the William "The refrigerator" Perry that you have a DT? Are you kidding me?!? If he's going to be anywhere on your list he should be as a RB. Didn't you see how "dominating" he was in the SB vs. the Pats. It doesn't get much better than that.

Back
Top Bottom