All of you guys who keep saying we pick our needs are wrong. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All of you guys who keep saying we pick our needs are wrong.

TonySporanoTuna

I'm a huge douchebag
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Plain and simple we take Best Player Available. We have so many needs that is what we do. The only way we don't is if the BPA is an RB then we take the next BPA. Also we will probably try to trade down since the drop off in talent this year from the first to the second isn't very large.

Dude, you aren't saying much

......it's not either bpa or need. When a gm is handling a franchise he realizes that there are different areas of need, always!! Whether it's the nt, lbs, inside or out, corners, etc. There are always needs, no matter what. When the draft comes around the choice is almost always a mixture of both need and bpa. You look at your needs and choose the best player available. It is not very often that a team choses someone that is not truly a need at some level. When was the last time you have seen a team with a qb in his prime, that selects a qb early on? If so, then there are doubts about that qb for some reason or another (such as rivers being selected with brees there, who eventually left, because the gm didn't like him)What that means is that we most probably will not select a qb or a rb or a lt or a kicker, so our guys will select the bpa relative to our needs, which is pretty much every other position. It's never s black or white as need or bpa.

You cold probably add tight end to that list as well. We have three very solid TEs right now.

Plain and simple we take Best Player Available. We have so many needs that is what we do. The only way we don't is if the BPA is an RB then we take the next BPA. Also we will probably try to trade down since the drop off in talent this year from the first to the second isn't very large.

That's not what Ireland said. He said that he picks BPA "on your board, BASED ON YOUR TEAM'S NEED"....nuff said. :rolleyes2:

That's not what Ireland said. He said that he picks BPA "on your board, BASED ON YOUR TEAM'S NEED"....nuff said. :rolleyes2:
Ya, that is what he will say. That is not the truth though. He is a poker player he doesn't let people know what he is gonna do. All of our picks last year were BPA

This is exactly how u draft. If Stafford and Sanchez are your top 2 players on the board and Detroit takes Stafford at #1 . . . and at #19 or whenver they pick again in round 1 . . . Sanchez is available . . . u don't take Sanchez because he is the BPA on your board.

BPA based on needs. Last year we needed everything, Jake was a top 3 guy on our board and filled the biggest need at LT . . . allowing Carey to move to RT . . . was a great pick.

This year we need alot as well, every position on defense could use addressing and WR, OG, C on offense, plus OT depth. Obviously u focus on what u need more if a player that fits that need is high up.

Like say we draft at 25, and the top rated player is a CB, but the 2nd rated player is a FS . . . I would take the FS, because it fills more of a need.

Ya we should take BPA every pick so if it happens to be a WR we can draft 8 of them, we might become as good as Detroit one day if we're lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

basically, we take the best palyer availabable that fits our needs (especially are top couple highest needs).... pretty simple!!!

We pretty much could use help at just about every position other than maybe LT (with Jake Long), QB, RB, and a couple other spots. I think you list your needs on your draft board, but if someone drops down to you at #25 and he is the best guy at his position then sometimes you take him, whether he is the BPA or not.

I think we have more needs on defense than on offense, but we could still use a good O-lineman, especially a bigger guy at Center. I am sure Parcells will do just as nice a job as last year.

nobody talks about drafting STRICTLY by need, well i'm speaking for myself and a lotta folks.

ireland and the scouts take a deep look at a LOT of guys in order to determine the "marginal advantage" at each position. They have that chart with their needs, don't go thinking they don't keep that in mind as they build up their draft board.

if they feel they'll get a better combo of, let's say, Brian cushing / louis delmas with the first two picks instead of Rashad Johnson / Larry english (just putting out an example), the decision will be taken according to the quality of the players in both rounds. but they do answer our needs.

The order in which the positions are drafted is determined by the BPA philosophy but it's no coincidence that you end up filling big needs early in the draft year in and year out. just check out our draft class of last year and you'll know what i mean

you need that perfect balance, because if you don't find it, you'll end up like detroit a few years back when they drafted WRs every year probably because they felt they were the BPA... and if you identify a certain need, you'll end up like saban and draft a jason allen in the first round because donte whitner didn't fall in your laps

Last edited by a moderator:
nobody talks about drafting STRICTLY by need, well i'm speaking for myself and a lotta folks.

ireland and the scouts take a deep look at a LOT of guys in order to determine the "marginal advantage" at each position. They have that chart with their needs, don't go thinking they don't keep that in mind as they build up their draft board.

if they feel they'll get a better combo of, let's say, Brian cushing / louis delmas with the first two picks instead of Rashad Johnson / Larry english (just putting out an example), the decision will be taken according to the quality of the players in both rounds. but they do answer our needs.

The order in which the positions are drafted is determined by the BPA philosophy but it's no coincidence that you end up filling big needs early in the draft year in and year out. just check out our draft class of last year and you'll know what i mean

you need that perfect balance, because if you don't find it, you'll end up like detroit a few years back when they drafted WRs every year probably because they felt they were the BPA... and if you identify a certain need, you'll end up like saban and draft a jason allen in the first round because donte whitner didn't fall in your laps
Detroit drafted WR because Matt Millen is a moron. There were definitely better players available where they picked.

Every round, every position is different. If you have 4 guys with equal grades, you take the position you need the most. If you feel like their is a guy available who is a "Franchise" player - they come along very seldom, then you draft him no matter what. If you have your starting QB locked up and he is young, you probably don't draft another one with a high pick, it does not make good football sense or salary cap sense.

BTW, every GM is a poker player, not one of them is going to tell you who they are going to pick, who they are looking at, and what their philosophy is. Is much as we would all like to think, it is not just Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom