All Offense? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All Offense?

I'd be fine with it, but the draft would have to fall that way.

It could never be a goal. Never reach.

And this defense is far from done. They played out of their heads many times last season, but there are significant needs on that side of the ball.

And no, you don't think of the salary cap 4 years from now when drafting 4 offensive players. Draft the 4 best players. Period.
I agree.

One point I forgot to make about future contract worries, is that if you take any 4 players, chances are only 1 or 2 will be in line to make absorbanent contract demands. Even if you "hit" on all 4, that is a pretty damn good problem to have. A competant GM will find a trade partner before the contract expires, and get a return, even if he isn't viable to retain the player due to cap restraints.

Pinpointing certain positions and sides of the ball is how we passed on Patrick Willis for Ted Ginn.

You need to be flexible and not strapped going into the draft so you can get the best players at the best value.
Totally agree with this line of thinking. Although offensive skill position players are a "need" you cannot ignore BPA if a player not expected to be available is sitting right there when it's your turn to pick. Laremy Tunsil is the gift that keeps on giving. If not for his uncle allegedly posting his bong picture before the draft we are not in this position at # 3. Potentially if we trade down, the gifts keep on coming from this one incident which happened a few years ago.

In my opinion, we still need help at WR (multiple), RB, IOL, DE, OLB, ILB, DT, S (not listed in any particular order). Best possible scenario is for a QB hungry team to offer a trade that you can't refuse but I would try not to trade out of the top 10. If I can't trade down from # 3 and have to draft at that spot I don't like taking a WR that high. There were 13 WR's taken in the first two rounds of last year's draft and not all of the first ones selected performed the best out of that group. We have to find the talent, period. Now if we did take a WR at # 3, I could live with it, but there is a lot of talent at WR this year which makes the front offices scouting so important leading up to this year's draft. Free agency needs to sure up some of those positional needs to allow us to be more flexible during the draft so we aren't forced to overdraft positional needs too high and can be mindful of any potential BPA's as they present themselves during the course of the draft. This is the most important draft for the Miami Dolphins in the past 20 years. We have got to get it right!

And this defense is far from done. They played out of their heads many times last season, but there are significant needs on that side of the ball.
We all know that Miami's offense needs a LOT of help. Their offense is below average (even though overall stats are better than past years, they still suck), so they should put an emphasis on getting weapons and shoring up the o-line. That said, if Miami's defense had been able to at least slow down Buffalo's offense (and their back-ups!) last week even an average offense might have had a chance to win that game. That "Top" defense looks good when they make big plays, but without those big plays they're nothing special. In fact, they do tend to give up a lot of big plays to the opponent's offense!

The off-season emphasis needs to be on getting weapons for the offense and shoring up the o-line, but the defense also needs help too. Want to be a playoff team? I see Buffalo as the measuring stick; build a defense that can slow them down, and build an offense that can outscore them if necessary.

Yes. You do all offense.
I have a lot of respect for your Xs ans Os knowledge.

That philosophy is a great example of why good HCs don't usually make good GMs.

A great coach's focus is on winning the next game(s). He, by necessity, has blinders on, to some extent. A GMs focus is on long term decisions that affect the franchise's viablity down the road.

There's a reason why most HC/GM combination individuals end up running the franchise into the ground.

I have a lot of respect for your Xs ans Os knowledge.

That philosophy is a great example of why good HCs don't usually make good GMs.

A great coach's focus is on winning the next game(s). He, by necessity, has blinders on, to some extent. A GMs focus is on long term decisions that affect the franchise's viablity down the road.

There's a reason why most HC/GM combination individuals end up running the franchise into the ground.

I'm not saying I would be a good gm or coach lol. I just played at a decently high level so I know Xs and Os. I would personally go all offense though

I'm not saying I would be a good gm or coach lol. I just played at a decently high level so I know Xs and Os. I would personally go all offense though
Not saying you dont know Xs and Os, I'll assume you do but having played college baseball and then later coaching high school baseball one thing I learned is playing the sport regardless of level does not make one able to coach (GM) it.

I'd be fine with it, but the draft would have to fall that way.

It could never be a goal. Never reach.

And no, you don't think of the salary cap 4 years from now when drafting 4 offensive players. Draft the 4 best players. Period.
Completely agree. Still need front-7 help, big-time. Think of how scary the secondary could be then with a 3-down ILB, and a real threat on the edge, opposite Ogbah

Until we see what happens in free agency all draft talk (with the exception of Pick #3) is really moot.

If I had to guess right now this defense improved but is missing a Darius Leonard type impact player, plus we could use another edge IMO. Other than that, I'd go offense with every pick.

Not saying you dont know Xs and Os, I'll assume you do but having played college baseball and then later coaching high school baseball one thing I learned is playing the sport regardless of level does not make one able to coach (GM) it.
I played receiver at a D4 school and I said I am not acting like I am a GM. I just said I would do.

Last edited:
I am 100% on board with spending the 1st 4 picks on offense. We have a top 10 defense, lets focus on fixing the offense which helps the defense if we can have more sustained drives. Not to mention we need to be able to keep up with the Chiefs, and Bills of the world.
I would like to say yes also but we need a DE who can pass rush. We need to give the D a rest from having to blitz every time to just get pressure

Pinpointing certain positions and sides of the ball is how we passed on Patrick Willis for Ted Ginn.

You need to be flexible and not strapped going into the draft so you can get the best players at the best value.
I agree with your statement but isn’t that exactly what they did last year with drafting Iggy in the first, he in my opinion wasn’t very good value where they drafted him?

It all depends on whats available, sorry for the lame answer..

I would say 3/1 ain’t bad either.

I agree with your statement but isn’t that exactly what they did last year with drafting Iggy in the first, he in my opinion wasn’t very good value where they drafted him?
It doesn't seem to me they took the best player available last year.

They could have picked J. Taylor with the Iggy pick, and in the 2nd with Hunts pick they would have picked Claypool. More than likely Hunt would have been there with pick 2b. Iggy was a reach at 1c wether they needed that position or not imo.

I know it's all hindsight, but it was rather obvious they were pinpointing certain players and positions and passed on more talented players at need positions.

Back
Top Bottom