All the QB's are Gone | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All the QB's are Gone

j-off-her-doll

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Say Newton, Gabbert, and Mallett are long gone when we're set to pick at #15, or maybe our FO hates all of them anyway, and say that we don't view any of the remaining QB prospects as viable options:

(Also, for the sake of this discussion, let's just say that Ireland and Sparano have the job security to be patient)

Aside from bombing the 2011 season, what would Miami have to do to land Luck or Barkley (will leave the other guys off the list of sure-fire high 1st RD picks for now)? Would prudence see them trade away the 15th pick for a 1st and 2nd next year? Or, maybe if you draft an A. Smith or P. Amukamara, you can package wake or V. Davis in a trade up?

What would you do in this situation?

15. WR Leonard Hankerson
79. RB Delone Carter
110. RB Taiwan Jones
142. WR Austin Pettis, or D Moore
173. TE Julius Thomas
207. QB Nathan Enderle

15. WR Leonard Hankerson
79. RB Delone Carter
110. RB Taiwan Jones
173. TE Julius Thomas
207. QB Nathan Enderle
Way too high for Hankerson and no thanks to Enderle; I'd rather we go with Yates in that spot.

My preference at 15 would be Ponder. I'm not sure how the FO feels about him. If they dont like him then I would look at trade down options. If no trading partner emerges then I would go ahead and draft Pouncey and address the biggest need on this team and at the same time face the brunt of the fans' frustration for not making a sexy pick.

Say Newton, Gabbert, and Mallett are long gone when we're set to pick at #15, or maybe our FO hates all of them anyway, and say that we don't view any of the remaining QB prospects as viable options:

(Also, for the sake of this discussion, let's just say that Ireland and Sparano have the job security to be patient)

Aside from bombing the 2011 season, what would Miami have to do to land Luck or Barkley (will leave the other guys off the list of sure-fire high 1st RD picks for now)? Would prudence see them trade away the 15th pick for a 1st and 2nd next year? Or, maybe if you draft an A. Smith or P. Amukamara, you can package wake or V. Davis in a trade up?

What would you do in this situation?

please no

15. WR Leonard Hankerson
79. RB Delone Carter
110. RB Taiwan Jones
173. TE Julius Thomas
207. QB Nathan Enderle

I like the first two picks in this draft.

1. Taiwan Jones will go higher than #110
2. Denarius Moore will go A LOT higher than #142
3. Julius Thomas will go higher than #173.
4. Nathan Enderle is, IMO, a waste of time

I agree those players may go higher. Whether they will remains to be seen. If they don't get Mallett, I don't care what game manager they take, may as well draft josh Portis in the seventh. I'd be OK with any QB in the seventh.

If it's still possible, I'd much rather trade the pick away for a 1st and 2nd next season. If we miss out on QB this year, we have to gather our bargaining chips and prepare to get Barkley or Luck.

And, if - say - L. Jones turns out to be awesome and reachable without a trade-up, then we just have extra currency to **** around with next year.

That is how I would approach it.

Part of me thinks that if we're missing out on Mallett at #15...then you have to explore trade down possibilities, and then let the Draft unfold from there. Explore that trade down, and if it materializes, and Christian Ponder is still there when you're selecting...I think you can go after him.

But if he doesn't make it there...cut your losses. Do the best you can with what you've got. And to me that means the following.

Late 1st Round: RB Mark Ingram, Alabama
Late 2nd Round: WR Edmond Gates, Abilene-Christian
Mid 3rd Round: TE Julius Thomas, Portland State
Mid 4th Round: QB T.J. Yates, North Carolina
Mid 5th Round: G/C Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock
Mid 6th Round: OG Justin Boren, Ohio State
Early 7th Round: OLB Keith Darbut, Baldwin-Wallace
Mid 7th Round: RB Brandon Saine, Ohio State
Late 7th Round: FB Anthony Sherman, Connecticut

I could be talked into a draft like that.

Part of me thinks that if we're missing out on Mallett at #15...then you have to explore trade down possibilities, and then let the Draft unfold from there. Explore that trade down, and if it materializes, and Christian Ponder is still there when you're selecting...I think you can go after him.

But if he doesn't make it there...cut your losses. Do the best you can with what you've got. And to me that means the following.

Depending on how long the lockout persists, that type of scenario might be our best shot of winning - some games - in 2011.

trade down or take BPA. Look at players who should be gone by 15 (not including QB's mentioned):

1) Peterson
2) Prince
3) Jones
4) Green
5) Dareus
6) Quinn
7) T. Smith
8) Fairley
9) Bowers
10) A. Smith
11) Jordan

Some of these are even debatable, Mallett could be gone before 15, it's very possible. I don't believe you can trade down and still land Mallett.

Trade down for sure...Id 100% take a 1st this year and a 2nd in next years draft.

If it were me I'd be trading this year's pick for next year's pick, if as you say the target is Luck or Barkley. I don't really like trading players, especially like Davis or Wake. With players your KNOW what you have and you KNOW they're good players. You can't KNOW FOR CERTAIN that who you'll pick at 15 will be a great player. I just don't like trading away known commodities unless you get an offer that is just too good to be true. You just have to have Al Davis on speed dial for something like that to happen.

If you were to stay at 15, and exchange Ingram and Gates for Ponder, I would be all over that draft. Then again, I'm higher on Ponder than most and more interested in RB help through free agency.

Back
Top Bottom