All the QB's are Gone | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All the QB's are Gone

If you were to stay at 15, and exchange Ingram and Gates for Ponder, I would be all over that draft. Then again, I'm higher on Ponder than most and more interested in RB help through free agency.

Your scenario changes some things for me.

Mid 1st Round: QB Christian Ponder, Florida State
Mid 3rd Round: TE Julius Thomas, Portland State
Mid 4th Round: G/C John Moffitt, Wisconsin
Mid 5th Round: RB Johnny White, North Carolina
Mid 6th Round: WR Kealoha Pilares, Hawaii
Early 7th Round: OLB Keith Darbut, Baldwin-Wallace
Mid 7th Round: RB Brandon Saine, Ohio State
Late 7th Round: RB Allen Bradford, Southern Cal

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see if we're taking out a Mark Ingram then I think you take more of a shotgun approach to the RB position...grabbing guys like Johnny White, Brandon Saine and Allen Bradford, bringing them to camp and seeing which guys shake out. The great thing about guys like White, Saine and Bradford is you have a real vision for how they can compete and what roles they should be able to play at minimum, and from there you can work on strengthening their games all around.

As you can see if we're taking out a Mark Ingram then I think you take more of a shotgun approach to the RB position...grabbing guys like Johnny White, Brandon Saine and Allen Bradford, bringing them to camp and seeing which guys shake out. The great thing about guys like White, Saine and Bradford is you have a real vision for how they can compete and what roles they should be able to play at minimum, and from there you can work on strengthening their games all around.

Ideally, that's how I see us addressing the RB situation.

Mid 4th Round: OG John Moffitt, Wisconsin
Mid 5th Round: OC Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock
Late 7th Round: FB Anthony Sherman, Connecticut

CK your the guy to ask this.

Lets still assume that either
A. the quarterback we want is gone by 15.
B. As projected AJ Green and Julio Jones are long gone.
C. We are unable to trade down.

What are the thoughts on taking the best player available, even if it is a defensive player. With possibly 3 QB's taken. 2 WR's. An offensive lineman here or there, Von Miller and Patrick peterson gone, And 2 or 3 pure DL gone before we draft at 15... it is entirely possible that one of the "stud" OLB prospects could be staring at us in the face.

Although Misi was solid in his rookie campaign he was not spectacular, and Cam Wake is a beast but is already 29 years old.

Out of the top 3-4 "attacking OLB's" .....
Von Miller will be gone.
Robert Quinn even after sitting out a year will probably be gone, but may slip

And in the mid first round it seems as if there are a ton of possible hybrid 3-4 olb.... do we maybe go that route instead of reaching on a RB or QB or OL?

The amount of times a 2nd round pick gets traded for the next years 1st would make me want to trade back into the late 1st and get a secondthis year. Then any team wanting to trade back into the 1st to secure the 2nd level of QB's (Ponder, Dalton, Locker, Kaepernick) would still be willing to give up a 1st in 2012 and we still have the 2nd to help us now.

Just trading away our picks for 2012 would send a bad message to all our players that we couldn't careless about 2011 and would cause problems throughout the season.

Good call. I really like the 5th round choice of Johnny White.

In that situation, though, you haven't addressed RB or the #2 WR.

While I agree RB would be preferable to address in the draft, I wouldn't be opposed to a DeAngelo Williams/Ronnie Brown backfield if the team isn't happy with the backs at the spots they pick in this draft. Still, I am a fan of CK's reconfigured picks that he just posted with Ponder at 15. Again, would prefer Mallett, but that draft I would be very, very happy with.

While I agree RB would be preferable to address in the draft, I wouldn't be opposed to a DeAngelo Williams/Ronnie Brown backfield if the team isn't happy with the backs at the spots they pick in this draft. Still, I am a fan of CK's reconfigured picks that he just posted with Ponder at 15. Again, would prefer Mallett, but that draft I would be very, very happy with.

I don't think a D. Williams and Brown backfield would match up very well. Sparano has been quoted as to looking for a better match between our top two backs than last year with Brown and R. Williams. I would really be okay with signing Deangelo plus drafting a speed back on day 3.

Whats better than one running back thats always too injured to stay on the field...... TWO of them :)

Just kidding around, i like deangelo as the best FA running back around.. but hes a little long in the tooth already and if you take out his 1 breakout year of 18 td's......... his career has been below average at best

I would be very surprised if the Dolphins don't draft a QB before the end of next Friday. If they don't get one in round one, I definitely see them taking one in round two(assuming a trade down) or round three. I highly doubt they walk away at the end of round three without one.

I like this draft a lot if no Mallett. I would select Anthony Sherman FB out of UCON instead of 3 RB. I'm not a big fan of Saine. Something never clicked with him not being out to be the "man" at OSU. While Ilike Thomas, I much more of a fan of DJ Williams. I no there is a slight in height but he understands of the nuances already and looks good in a pro set.

CK your the guy to ask this.

Lets still assume that either
A. the quarterback we want is gone by 15.
B. As projected AJ Green and Julio Jones are long gone.
C. We are unable to trade down.

What are the thoughts on taking the best player available, even if it is a defensive player. With possibly 3 QB's taken. 2 WR's. An offensive lineman here or there, Von Miller and Patrick peterson gone, And 2 or 3 pure DL gone before we draft at 15... it is entirely possible that one of the "stud" OLB prospects could be staring at us in the face.

Although Misi was solid in his rookie campaign he was not spectacular, and Cam Wake is a beast but is already 29 years old.

Out of the top 3-4 "attacking OLB's" .....
Von Miller will be gone.
Robert Quinn even after sitting out a year will probably be gone, but may slip

And in the mid first round it seems as if there are a ton of possible hybrid 3-4 olb.... do we maybe go that route instead of reaching on a RB or QB or OL?

I wouldn't take Robert Quinn or Aldon Smith, or any OLB propsect at #15. It doesn't make sense to me. First off I can't sign off on Quinn because he didn't play football in 2010 and the last time we did see him play football he was terribly inconsistent. I mean I just recently watched him get shut down by junior ECU tackle Willie Smith not too long ago, and Willie's a late round prospect. Aldon Smith is an exceptional prospect, but the fit isn't right. I'm not convinced he belongs as an outside linebacker (nor Robert Quinn for that matter). And what role is Aldon going to play in this defense? If you're thinking of replacing Cam Wake that's one thing, but I'd have a hard time figuring out why you want to do that. In Mike Nolan's defense he needs one of his OLBs to be a guy that can legitimately cover and play the run, be a 50% cover guy. That's Koa Misi. Don't screw with that. Screw with that and you HANDCUFF Mike Nolan's defense, making it predictable, less adaptable. So many people don't understand this. So then you're left with Aldon Smith being a nickel rusher, while Koa Misi is a 1st and 2nd down guy. That really minimizes the value of BOTH players...and is that what you really want to do? I dunno about that. Maybe. Maybe it'd be awesome. But it seems like a gold plated television remote control...a luxury.

As for other "best players available" you have I think Anthony Castonzo and Gabe Carimi. I love both players. I think Castonzo is a fixture at Left Tackle for a decade or more. But, we have one of those. Why do we need another? I doubt he plays in at Guard, and we have Vernon Carey at Right Tackle. I have a tough time believing that 7 years into Vernon Carey's career, only 6 of which he actually played, he's just done. I doubt that. I think getting rid of him is totally unnecessary. And Right Tackle might not be Castonzo's best position anyway, so if you take him you're really just destroying a lot of value...destroying the value of Vernon Carey, making him move to a Guard position where he's both overpriced and out of position (and that's if you don't just cut him), and also destroying Castonzo's potential value as a Left Tackle by making him a Right Tackle where I don't know if he's as suited to it. As for Gabe Carimi, he might play Left Guard. MIGHT. It's a projection, never played there before. But to take him at #15 as a Left Guard you damn well better be sure he's the next Steve Hutchinson and I'm not sure how the heck you can be sure of that as he's not played there. He's played Left Tackle his whole Wisconsin career. Why move him? Why ruin a good thing? He moves to the right side now, where he's never played before? I wouldn't assume that either, some guys are not very versatile moving left to right and vice versa. Awful big projections if you take either Carimi or Castonzo at #15.

Prince Amukamara is a special player. I have a lot of confidence in him. If he's there at #15 that's a tough decision for me, because I have so much faith in him. But you do have both Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, and Nolan Carroll, and Will Allen, and Benny Sapp...you can always get better but damn. Can Sean Smith move to safety? If so what happens to Chris Clemons? Does Sean Smith have the tackling skills to move there? What if Smith is just better than Vontae, you comfortable leaving Vontae on the bench while Prince and Smith play? Nolan Carroll never sees the field even though he showed what I feel is a LOT of promise in 2010? Difficult questions.

So then you're left with some other positions that haven't been considered much...like wide receiver where I fully believe Leonard Hankerson is a worthy get at #15. Or inside linebacker where I like Martez Wilson for the same. Or Mike Pouncey even though I'd probably vomit if we took him. Or Mark Ingram.

And if you don't like any of those four names at that spot...then you're pointing yourself RIGHT back at the quarterback position.

Whats better than one running back thats always too injured to stay on the field...... TWO of them :)

Just kidding around, i like deangelo as the best FA running back around.. but hes a little long in the tooth already and if you take out his 1 breakout year of 18 td's......... his career has been below average at best

While admittedly both RBs have been injured a great deal, both incurred most of their injuries when asked to carry the bulk of the rushing load. A 50/50 split with (hopefully) an improved offensive line would go a long way towards keeping both healthy and productive. Furthermore, it would slightly amp up the speed at the position, which I know they are interested in doing.

Again, ultimately I think they will wind up going with a drafted RB, but at the very least this direction would keep the defense honest at the line of scrimmage. If I am the only one that feels this way, I'll be happy on my island :)

I like this draft a lot if no Mallett. I would select Anthony Sherman FB out of UCON instead of 3 RB. I'm not a big fan of Saine. Something never clicked with him not being out to be the "man" at OSU. While Ilike Thomas, I much more of a fan of DJ Williams. I no there is a slight in height but he understands of the nuances already and looks good in a pro set.

Saine had to compete with a REALLY high recruit at running back in Dan Herron. And even so, Saine was never shelved...they kept using him the whole way. The knock on him is he doesn't have vision. He's such a hard worker, fast guy, good teammate...I'd like to take him into my camp and see if I couldn't work on that. He's got power to him and he's one of THE most savvy pass catchers at the position in this Draft. Blocks well, too. Immediately you have in mind how you can use him those ways.

Back
Top Bottom