allen or patterson? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

allen or patterson?

you dont need a burner to have a successful offense. you need receivers who can create separation on the consistent basis. look at the patriots and packers. They dont have any real burners, but what they do have, are receivers who can consistently get open and get open down the field.

I agree. But I am dealing with WR mongers here.

Right now, James Jones and Randall Cobb are tearing it up in GB. Not exactly household names.

I do believe we need more speed though. We need a guy who can run under a rocket throw from RT and not have any problems staying on their feet or having to dive for it.

BTW, I love what CK said above. Dont overreach for a WR if you dont have to. GEt a football player who can start day one. bottom line. no matter what the position.

Allen will be a perennial pro bowler. Patterson might have a thousand yards season or two. Not close

Keenan Allen has the better upside. When he learns to be more disciplined with his feet during and after the catch he won't have as much issue falling down. The NFL is a physical game and Keenan Allen is a physical player. He's got tremendous size, strength and athleticism. He's actually pretty salty after the catch and on the run, and he can get beyond physical coverage. I think when you see the two run the 40 you'll realize what the film may have already hinted at, which is that for all this talk of Patterson being the deep threat, Keenan Allen is probably faster. Allen also can play all three of the WR positions, more versatile, can find more ways to get him the ball. If you get Cordarelle Patterson into the NFL and suddenly find that A) He's not actually fast enough to casually blow by corners with deep coverage responsibility, and B) He gets intimidated by physicality...you're sunk.

Allen didn't get much of a chance to show his skills because his brother the quarterback was ****ing awful. Cordarelle Patterson had Tyler Bray throwing to him and Justin Hunter claiming the bulk of opposing defenses' time in the film room. Keenan Allen gets his brother throwing to him, and he's been the guy with the mark on his back for defenses for over two years now. People need to keep that in mind when they compare the two players.

I don't believe in a Keenan Allen the way I believed in a Hakeem Nicks or Dez Bryant. He doesn't speak to me that way. But I think he probably deserves the top billing in this WRs class.

Patterson has his place because he's gifted in both the height department as well as his lateral agility, change of direction. As good open field run instincts as you'll see. But the thing you have to wonder about a Cordarelle Patterson is why am I drafting him in the 1st round when it looks like I might be able to get Marquess Wilson (who is virtually the same player) in the 3rd or 4th round?

To answer the question, because I am tired of always asking that questoin and year after year walking away with nothing.

Why are we drafting matt ryan when I can get long and henne virtually the same players in round 2. Thats what we heard.
Why are we drafting a primetime WR when we can get Gates in round 4.
Why are we drafting top players when we can trade back adn get 2 solid players in Misi and Odrick.

this team doesnt' need to take ag amble on late round prospects, we don't haev that "luxury."

I know one thing thats for certain, Nicks was the best hands down WR I haev ever, EVER watched on tape. I knew after watching only 2 tapes this man was destined to be an NFL star. His hands, awareness, route running, working the MIDDLE of the field has never been seen before.

When I wtacehd Egnew, I saw 1 thing, a man who runs short routes and does not impress. I mentioned after draft day how he showed nothing on film.

When I watch every WR in this draft I see good players, i see VERY GOOD complimentary players, I don't see AJ Green, Julion Jones where in year 1 I do well and year 2 I am a top 10 WR in the NFL.

I am dying for playmakers on offense, i think my posts of late prove taht but my eyes tell me the sure fire player in this draft I want hands down is Te'o. I haven't liked a LB that i wanted hands down over ANY Player in the draft since I watched Willis game tape and came away wondering how many people doubt him becase of his size. TO me, one of the best players I haev watched pre-draft.

I see that in Te'o. Reminds me of a force taht knows how to lead, a BIGGER better ZT, I see Urlacher in him.

sadly as good a teo is. i don't think we will be getting him. if he falls to us, then we have an interesting choice, because mlb really isn't a need for us. the problem with our defense is primarily in the secondary. and even with a below average secondary, the defense has still played very well. our problem is that we cant score points. we average under 19 points a game. while our Defense has been good, its very hard to win games when your offense cant score points. we saw the same thing happen 2 years ago when he had the 6th overall defense in the league for yards in 2010. the offense couldn't score points, and many times they put the defense in horrible positions. while your right when you say there is no aj green or julio in this draft, history shows that you dont need one to have an elite offense. look at the 3 elite offenses who have been consistent in that aspect over the past few years. The packers, patriots, and saints. As of right now, none of them have that aj green or julio type recievers. What they do have, are very good consistent receivers. it also doesn't hurt that they have future HOF qb's throwing the ball to those guys either. I don't want us to reach for a guy, but when you look at our situation, I think that we pretty much need to get one of the two most pro ready receivers in this draft. IMO those two would be allen and hunter.

Julio Jones got drafted high because of the combine and I can see Patterson's stock rise to the late 1st, with a solid combine. I think Allen's injury is nothing serious.

Julio got drafted high bc he was a monster in school not just combine.

keenan allen for me. over every WR prospect out there IF i was put to task to choose between them.

That isn't to say I wouldn't draft somebody else in the first round like a werner instead of allen, and target a plethora of WR's in the 2nd.

I don't know that I really consider Patterson a burner. He's got great lateral cutting ability and regularly jukes people, but there are all kinds of players out on the field actually running faster.

The reason I take a Keenan Allen over a Cordarelle Patterson every time is physicality. This is a physical game and I've seen Patterson look intimidated when defensive players get overly physical with him. Keenan Allen on the other hand seems to welcome it.

Put the two of them in a foot race and I'm not actually sure who wins that. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Allen.

NFL Draft Scout (for what it's worth) has Patterson faster.

Patterson 40 (low) - 4.34
Allen 40 - (low) - 4.42

You know how it goes, the combine will settle this one.

One thing is for sure, if the times hold, I will take the Patterson burner all day long (and twice on Saturdays)

I don't like either player for Miami's pick in the 1st round but if Patterson really runs in the low 4.3's even I will get on board, lol.

I don't like either player for Miami's pick in the 1st round but if Patterson really runs in the low 4.3's even I will get on board, lol.

Yeah me too. I will be stunned if Patterson breaks 4.4 though.

I'd be happy with either, but given a choice I'd prefer both Tennessee guys over Allen. Patterson definitely has deep speed, and IMHO it's quite evident. He has a great burst and lateral cutting ability. Physically, he's the total package. My only concerns would be that he's still a bit raw, and would take longer to make it into the starting lineup. Between Allen and Patterson, Patterson is faster and has significantly more big play potential. He can stretch a defense, keep safeties out of the box, and his speed provides a cushion. Allen is more of an underneath receiver, and while he can excel in the WCO, I think that type of WR is easier to find.

I like Justin Hunter and Robert Woods too. Both have speed and while Hunter isn't quite as explosive or good laterally, his leaping ability and length make him a great target for both the deep ball and for the red zone. My guess is that if any of those 4 that are available in the 2nd round when we pick, he will be selected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a Tennessee fan. I watched every game. Patterson will be a special player. You can't coach that type of field vision. He has football smarts also. Watch the Vanderbilt highlight when he knew he was on the player and not down and scored on the punt return. Patterson was the top ranked JUCO player in the country. He would have had better numbers, but Tennessee tried to funnel the ball to Justin Hunter. I think with the right coaching he could be just like Randy Moss, without the attitude. He always hands the ball to the referee after a score.

Back
Top Bottom