Along with CB duo..do we have the best DE's in the league? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Along with CB duo..do we have the best DE's in the league?

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Looking at position by position..I was looking our D and I thought our DE's were pretty good Stuns.

I think Sporting News agree:

"DEFENSIVE ENDS ANALYSIS: There may not be a deeper group in the league than Jason Taylor, Adewale Ogunleye, David Bowens, Rob Burnett and Jay Williams. They all can rush the passer but also are complete players. Taylor can be considered the best end in the game after leading the NFL in sacks last year. He uses his hands well and counters the strength of bigger players with fabulous technique. Ogunleye had a breakout season in 2002. He's quick off the snap and surprisingly strong. Bowens, Burnett and Williams bring versatility to the rotation because they play inside on passing situations. Their quickness puts pressure on guards and centers to hold the pocket. "

Personally, I think that this could be a huge key to our D this year. I know that improved depth, Seau, Sammy Knight possibly signing are all nice improvements. However, I feel that Ogunleye taking the next step is perhaps as crucial as any other facet of the D.

Good point phinphan..it would keep teams from doubling and focusing on JT..which would allow him to have a great season again...I also want to see what Chester will be like now that he's not playing injured like last year.

At the moment I can't think of any team that has a better duo but that is strictly because of Jason Taylor being the best or perhaps second only to Strahan.

Ogunleye I think collected a lot of sacks based on pressure from elsewhere on the defensive line, whether it be Taylor getting tripled or flushing the QB, or be it Jay Williams or Rob Burnett on the inside flushing the QB. The best thing you can say about Ogunleye is that he doesn't give up on a play and eventually if the QB gets near him, he'll find you. But he's still not, IMO, a legitimate premier passrusher in this league.

So honestly I think Ogunleye collected on our sacks that came about cuz of DE depth. But, I also look for Junior Seau to do that some this year as well because he's aggressive almost to a fault and if he sees the QB in trouble and thinks he can get there, he's off to the races he\\ or high water. So I think he'll pick up 5 sacks for us this year I really do...unless somehow Jim Bates manages to fix a leash on him, which I doubt you can do to Junior Seau he's just too aggressive.

If Kearse or Carter either of them can regain old form, then I think they could form a better tandem, and together with that kid from Arkansas who did well in Kearse's absence, could also have the deepest set.

Great point. Ogun needs to step it up. Anybody notice when JT was having a bad game, Ogun disapeared. He needs to become a force. If he does, then JT will surpass last seasons totals.

I was really hoping Taylor would break the sack record last year.

I just don't think Strahan deserved that last one :evil:

Well, we all know Favre got a nice bonus that season. Frigin bastard.

Jason is the definitive best end in football IMO. Ck is right when he says that Ogun was the benificiary of Taylor's work, but at least he did produce (early on anyway). I too believe that if Ogun can take the next step, we could be on our way. I am hoping that his lack of presence in the last 2 games was because of hitting a wall (similar to rookie wall due to increased # of games) since he was inactive for a couple seasons.

Team J.T Ogun
Detroit 0.5 0
Indy 0 0
New York 1 1
K.C 0 0
New England 2 0
Denver 2 1
Buffalo 0 0
Green Bay 1 0
New York 0 0
Baltimore 1 2.5
San Diego 2 0
Buffalo 2 1
Chicago 1 1
Oakland 3 1
Minny 1.5 1.5
NE 0 0

Ogun is definately the beneficiary. He never had a sack when JT didn't get one and the only times he bettered J.T was at Baltimore.

Carolina Panthers have the best duo of DE'S and the Dolphins are a close 2nd.

Frankly, for any one person to have successful there have to be other factors..people here say because of JT..Og has success..but he did this in College..that's why we took him even though he was hurt and we waited for him...paid during that time too..I think he's now paying the dividends of that..I think he will be a monster even if JT..wasn't on the team.

I would say the Titans have the best duo. Best three man rotation is the Titans with that 7th rounder they got last year who had like 8 sacks. Best 4 or 5 man depth is us. No question about it.

Back
Top Bottom