Am i missing something | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am i missing something

ROADRUNNER

0.1% native american & 0.1% filipino
Club Member
Reaction score
Tavon Austin, why should we take a slot recever at #12 when we have bigger need's............
be449b97-1.gif

Sorry but i dont get it.
600x381-1.jpg

I said a few months ago the Dolphins would have to get rid of 2 of fasano, hartline and bess if they want to be an offense that defenses respect. Since hartline has been resigned and the inclusion of gibson, It's imperative the dolphins get rid of the slow as a turtle davone bess

Guys like Bess, Fasano and Hartline don't make anyone better around them, and for obvious reasons - because they're not good, and no defense is fearful of those guys. However Tavon austin and Mike Wallace types do make people around them better. That's why the Dolphins need another player like Austin at WR that can make everyone else better. These are "attention drawers" from defenses that make everyone else better with the fear and pressure they implement on defenses

Let's hope he's let go with Tavon Austin in his place. The dolphins can afford to have a Hartline on a unit when you have speed like Wallace and Austin around, but not just Wallace, or else it will be a marginal gain and a mediocre (AVERAGE) WR corps at best. Tavon Austin in exchange for Bess will really change that though, and place the Dolphins 2 steps above mediocre at WR

You're scared of the cornerback situation ?? Don't worry this is a deep class for corners, you'll find ones that can play in the 3rd and even 4th round (and we have plenty of 2nd's and 3rd's, and can even move up with a 2nd 4th if need be). A generational talent like Tavon Austin will not be there in later rounds, and no corners in the 1st are what we would consider "generational" talents at their position, but I believe Austin is at his position

I said a few months ago the Dolphins would have to get rid of 2 of fasano, hartline and bess if they want to be an offense that defenses respect. Since hartline has been resigned and the inclusion of gibson, It's imperative the dolphins get rid of the slow as a turtle davone bess

Guys like Bess, Fasano and Hartline don't make anyone better around them, and for obvious reasons - because they're not good, and no defense is fearful of those guys. However Tavon austin and Mike Wallace types do make people around them better. That's why the Dolphins need another player like Austin at WR that can make everyone else better. These are "attention drawers" from defenses that make everyone else better with the fear and pressure they implement on defenses

Let's hope he's let go with Tavon Austin in his place. The dolphins can afford to have a Hartline on a unit when you have speed like Wallace and Austin around, but not just Wallace, or else it will be a marginal gain and a mediocre (AVERAGE) WR corps at best. Tavon Austin in exchange for Bess will really change that though, and place the Dolphins 2 steps above mediocre at WR

You're scared of the cornerback situation ?? Don't worry this is a deep class for corners, you'll find ones that can play in the 3rd and even 4th round (and we have plenty of 2nd's and 3rd's, and can even move up with a 2nd 4th if need be). A generational talent like Tavon Austin will not be there in later rounds, and no corners in the 1st are what we would consider "generational" talents at their position, but I believe Austin is at his position

I see your point with Austin/Bess but didn't we just get Gibson to do that job too...............:idk:

1.) Slot receivers are full time starters now, and if you pay attention to what Philbin's philosophy is, this player could be the #1 option for the offensive attack on any given day.

2.) You can't matchup with him out of the slot with a linebacker, safety, or 3rd cornerback. The defense is wrong before the coin is even flipped.

3.) Pay attention to how Green Bay uses Randall Cobb. Miami is already discussing using Thigpen as an option to force mismatches in terms of playmaking ability out of the backfield, in the slot, jet sweeps, etc... because he's the only player Miami currently has versatile enough to even experiment with in this role. Multiply that option and playmaking ability by x50.

4.) He's the most explosive and productive playmaker in the draft on the offensive side of the ball. His COD skills, acceleration, and ability to make defenders miss is generational in terms of rarity. This is also a very strong and durable player for his size.

5.) A team like Miami has to find a way to generate explosive plays, score points, and get production somewhere other than outside the numbers. Teams aren't going to just stand there and let Mike Wallace run past 'em up and down the field for 60 minutes.

6.) This offense is required to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly, thus the need for gamebreaking RAC skills. Tavon Austin is among the best in this department that I've seen come out of college since Peter Warrick almost 15 years ago.

The combination of fit, talent, and need makes Austin one of the 3 or 4 best options for Miami picking at #12. The least impressive thing about Austin's game is his speed, which is elite.

I dont like his size but love his skills.

My issue with Austin at 12 is why do it when Swope is a steal later in the draft? Get a CB or elite DE/Guard (or even Eifert) if you love him at 12 and get Swope in round two, Swope doesn't have Austins speed but he would excel in this offense and could be just as effective as Austin just playing a slightly different role.

I'm pretty torn on this. I hear Slimm's explanation and I'd love to have him on the field...but to pick him at 12 would mean a lot of investment into pass-catching outside skill players all at once. Wallace, Hartline, Keller, Gibson, and the first-round pick sounds like too much in one place for one off-season. I think I'd rather balance it out with young talent at other positions at this point. But damn we would be fun and really hard to defend...

Very well stated. Especially #5, I think this is one that people are really under-estimating. You are correct in the fact that teams aren't going to just sit their and let Wallace beat them. So what they assign another defender towards Wallace. Now what? Does Miami have anyone else that can take advantage consistently? D.Bess for a huge play/TD? Hartline for a huge play/TD? Hartline maybe! D.Bess..LOL! The honest answer is NO!

By drafting T.Austin in addition to what we already have Miami becomes a very SERIOUS squad on offense.

1.) Slot receivers are full time starters now, and if you pay attention to what Philbin's philosophy is, this player could be the #1 option for the offensive attack on any given day.

2.) You can't matchup with him out of the slot with a linebacker, safety, or 3rd cornerback. The defense is wrong before the coin is even flipped.

3.) Pay attention to how Green Bay uses Randall Cobb. Miami is already discussing using Thigpen as an option to force mismatches in terms of playmaking ability out of the backfield, in the slot, jet sweeps, etc... because he's the only player Miami currently has versatile enough to even experiment with in this role. Multiply that option and playmaking ability by x50.

4.) He's the most explosive and productive playmaker in the draft on the offensive side of the ball. His COD skills, acceleration, and ability to make defenders miss is generational in terms of rarity. This is also a very strong and durable player for his size.

5.) A team like Miami has to find a way to generate explosive plays, score points, and get production somewhere other than outside the numbers. Teams aren't going to just stand there and let Mike Wallace run past 'em up and down the field for 60 minutes.

6.) This offense is required to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly, thus the need for gamebreaking RAC skills. Tavon Austin is among the best in this department that I've seen come out of college since Peter Warrick almost 15 years ago.

The combination of fit, talent, and need makes Austin one of the 3 or 4 best options for Miami picking at #12. The least impressive thing about Austin's game is his speed, which is elite.

Yes, you'll obviously have to commit one way or the other when you're on the clock. I'd consider him a "reach" at #12 in terms of looking at it from a tradition draft perspective. He's not 6'0", 200 pounds.... other than that, there's no reach involved. As long as his feet touch the ground that's all that matters. He'll score.

I'd consider Austin a thorough and calculated reach at #12. Miami has already addressed the WR position on the perimeter.... it's inside that needs attention.

There's going to be corners that can cover and function well in a zone after the 12th pick. There's going to be pass rushers available after the 12th pick. However, there's not another player in this draft that brings what Tavon Austin brings. He's it. You can get a lesser version of him later with Ace Sanders, who I do like by the way.

Point is, I think Austin is a better talent than any CB or pass rusher that's going to be available at #12 unless it's Carradine. Cordarrelle Patterson is likely already gone.

Swope is an option in the 2nd as a slot guy, but he's not a dynamic RAC type slot guy. He's more of a "route" guy, and you have to consider his concussion issues. Wheaton is another option in the 2nd round in my opinion.

Basically, I'd be looking at Eifert, Austin, Carradine, Lemonier, and Rhodes at #12. Yes, Corey Lemonier.

The good thing here is that there's so many different routes that Miami could take and accomplish the same thing, that I don't believe there's only one right way to do it. By the same token, that's also what makes it a difficult decision. I'm still not 100% convinced on what I would do.

The only thing I'm certain of is what I wouldn't do... which is draft an offensive lineman with that selection. It will be a guy who scores touchdowns, rushes the passer, or upgrades the pass defense if it was me.

For me it's simple! Austin is ALOT more explosive and dangerous.....

Look at it this way. Apparently, Austin and Swope ran close to the same time! Yet, put on the game tape and tell me if they even look remotely similar in their overall explosiveness.
Swope is okay, But Austin scares the hell outta you! Personally, I want defenses to fear playing Miami's offense. Don't you?

I dont like his size but love his skills.

My issue with Austin at 12 is why do it when Swope is a steal later in the draft? Get a CB or elite DE/Guard (or even Eifert) if you love him at 12 and get Swope in round two, Swope doesn't have Austins speed but he would excel in this offense and could be just as effective as Austin just playing a slightly different role.

Look at it this way. Apparently, Austin and Swope ran close to the same time! Yet, put on the game tape and tell me if they even look remotely similar in their overall explosiveness.
Swope is okay, But Austin scares the hell outta you! Personally, I want defenses to fear playing Miami's offense. Don't you?

id rather have a really good slot guy and a great cb or de. Than just an explosive slot guy

Forget all of that I say we swing it on the table and show the NFL world how BIG it really is.
DRAFT AUSTIN @12

Yes, you'll obviously have to commit one way or the other when you're on the clock. I'd consider him a "reach" at #12 in terms of looking at it from a tradition draft perspective. He's not 6'0", 200 pounds.... other than that, there's no reach involved. As long as his feet touch the ground that's all that matters. He'll score.

I'd consider Austin a thorough and calculated reach at #12. Miami has already addressed the WR position on the perimeter.... it's inside that needs attention.

There's going to be corners that can cover and function well in a zone after the 12th pick. There's going to be pass rushers available after the 12th pick. However, there's not another player in this draft that brings what Tavon Austin brings. He's it. You can get a lesser version of him later with Ace Sanders, who I do like by the way.

Point is, I think Austin is a better talent than any CB or pass rusher that's going to be available at #12 unless it's Carradine. Cordarrelle Patterson is likely already gone.

Swope is an option in the 2nd as a slot guy, but he's not a dynamic RAC type slot guy. He's more of a "route" guy, and you have to consider his concussion issues. Wheaton is another option in the 2nd round in my opinion.

Basically, I'd be looking at Eifert, Austin, Carradine, Lemonier, and Rhodes at #12. Yes, Corey Lemonier.

The good thing here is that there's so many different routes that Miami could take and accomplish the same thing, that I don't believe there's only one right way to do it. By the same token, that's also what makes it a difficult decision. I'm still not 100% convinced on what I would do.

I think i just heard Ross whisper to Ireland...... "Will he put people in the seats?"

I think the thing we have to get away from is drafting safe. We have to start getting difference makers. Players that may turn into one of the best in the league at their position. Austin is that player to me. My question is how long will he play?? Will he stand up the the violence of the game for more than 4 years?? To be honest I kinda doubt it. But he is worth the risk.

I also think that Patterson is almost as fast and elusive and MUCH bigger. Austin is more polished but I think Patterson stays healthy longer. Maybe I am just worried about the last undersized fast WVU player we drafted. My plan would be to trade back into the late teens if possible, and one of them will be there. Then in the 3rd draft Kelce who is by far the best blocking TE, runs the same 40 and has the best hands of any of the TEs except Eibert. In the 2nd draft Brennan out of UNC at OT, and best CB with 2b.

When I watch him, I am amazed by his talent. But I also got that bad feeling that he's gonna get blasted in the knee and be a completely different guy. Irrational? Maybe. But his size concerns me.

Sometimes you just have to take chances.. And the Fins have been playing it safe for years.. Austin would make this offense scary plain and simple.. take him at 12.. Then either jump back into the first round and get Eifert or wait and take Ertz who I think will be there with our first 2nd rounder..Go DF and OL the rest of the way..

Back
Top Bottom