Am i missing something | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am i missing something

Tavon Austin, why should we take a slot recever at #12 when we have bigger need's............
be449b97-1.gif

Sorry but i dont get it.
600x381-1.jpg

Dude..... I'm totally on the same page as you :idk:

I see everyone bringing this guy up all the time and in my head, i'm like why in the hell would we waste a 1st round pick on a guy we don't need. That's like taking Geno Smith because he's the BPA at our pick. It's a waste, imo. We have gigantic holes in our corner position and as it is right now we don't have a right tackle or DE opposite Wake.

I don't get the logic in taking a player just because he's bpa when you have the holes we have. Once you have your guys then yeah go ahead and pick BPA, but right now I don't think we can afford to unless you want Garner as our starting RT and Marshall and Patterson as your starting corners.. And 9 receivers with a guy like Matthews most likely getting poached off of our PS (We're not suiting up 7 receivers every game)...

This team needs to be on sportscenter more often. That's how you get respect.

1.) Slot receivers are full time starters now, and if you pay attention to what Philbin's philosophy is, this player could be the #1 option for the offensive attack on any given day.

2.) You can't matchup with him out of the slot with a linebacker, safety, or 3rd cornerback. The defense is wrong before the coin is even flipped.

3.) Pay attention to how Green Bay uses Randall Cobb. Miami is already discussing using Thigpen as an option to force mismatches in terms of playmaking ability out of the backfield, in the slot, jet sweeps, etc... because he's the only player Miami currently has versatile enough to even experiment with in this role. Multiply that option and playmaking ability by x50.

4.) He's the most explosive and productive playmaker in the draft on the offensive side of the ball. His COD skills, acceleration, and ability to make defenders miss is generational in terms of rarity. This is also a very strong and durable player for his size.

5.) A team like Miami has to find a way to generate explosive plays, score points, and get production somewhere other than outside the numbers. Teams aren't going to just stand there and let Mike Wallace run past 'em up and down the field for 60 minutes.

6.) This offense is required to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly, thus the need for gamebreaking RAC skills. Tavon Austin is among the best in this department that I've seen come out of college since Peter Warrick almost 15 years ago.

The combination of fit, talent, and need makes Austin one of the 3 or 4 best options for Miami picking at #12. The least impressive thing about Austin's game is his speed, which is elite.

Thanks Slimm...........................you certainly added some credibility to our side of the arguement !!

If you have an opportunity to add a guy like Austin you do it. The argument about focusing to much on the WR spot is ridiculous when you need explosive playmaking abilities in today's NFL. Austin is a match up nightmare for defenses and with Wallace, Hartline, Gibson and Keller on the field, Miami is neck and neck with the Pats and Broncos.

A DE or CB at 12 doesn't make Miami a serious contender like drafting Austin in that spot.

Am concerned about Austin health in the long term in the NFL. So why not draft Cordaralle Patterson for same position cuz he is more sturdy......what r yall thoughts on this scenario if he is available

The argument about focusing to much on the WR spot is ridiculous when you need explosive playmaking abilities in today's NFL.

When you've ignored drafting the position as long as the Dolphins have, you gotta make up for lost time.

Am concerned about Austin health in the long term in the NFL. So why not draft Cordaralle Patterson for same position cuz he is more sturdy......what r yall thoughts on this scenario if he is available

He'd be the option just ahead of Tavon Austin for me if I were to go ahead and lock in on a receiver with that pick. He's the only receiver who can do what Austin can do with the ball in his hands. I came to that conclusion about 6 months ago. The obvious difference is that you're getting plus size to go along with that ability with Patterson. The negative is that you're getting a 1 year player with a history of academic problems, which I attribute to just flat out not caring about it. He can articulate himself quite well if you listen to him speak and go into detail.

If you're looking for an offensive playmaker at the receiver position in the top 15 with insane ability to make defenders miss and extremely dangerous RAC skills, I don't think there's a wrong answer with either one. I'm a big believer in both of their talents.

I agree with this. Like I said I love Austin but I dont love his body. He is just too small to last in the NFL imo

Size really has nothing to do with durability. Playing style, instincts, and ability to avoid the big hit are all more significant.

Football has long been full of players with great size who are made of gingerbread and brittle as pie crust. Nobody spent more time on an excercise bike than Joe Toledo and he was 6'5", 330.

He'd be the option just ahead of Tavon Austin for me if I were to go ahead and lock in on a receiver with that pick. He's the only receiver who can do what Austin can do with the ball in his hands. I came to that conclusion about 6 months ago. The obvious difference is that you're getting plus size to go along with that ability with Patterson. The negative is that you're getting a 1 year player with a history of academic problems, which I attribute to just flat out not caring about it. He can articulate himself quite well if you listen to him speak and go into detail.

If you're looking for an offensive playmaker at the receiver position in the top 15 with insane ability to make defenders miss and extremely dangerous RAC skills, I don't think there's a wrong answer with either one. I'm a big believer in both of their talents.

The Stereophonics had an album called "Just Enough Education to Perform". That's how I feel about Patterson, having heard him interviewed a couple of times. I don't think he too dumb to play pro.

The Stereophonics had an album called "Just Enough Education to Perform". That's how I feel about Patterson, having heard him interviewed a couple of times. I don't think he too dumb to play pro.

I'm led to believe there's guys that have played well in the NFL that are substantially dumber if that tells you anything.

One thing is for certain, his bodily-kinesthetic intelligence is superior to 3/4's of the receivers that are in the NFL. He just flat out plays football on a different level than most any of the other prospects, and more of it accomplished with his mind than people think.

If i had the choice between them too and for the same position. ......Patterson all day

I think that maybe Austin looks much faster on film than Swope because of the weak defenses he played against in the Big 12. Maybe Swope's game speed at the college level is closer to the game speed he'll have at the NFL level due to the fact that he played in the SEC against some of the fastest and best defenses in the country. Those defenses make fast guys elsewhere look not so fast. I've read a lot about what people have said and respect everyone's opinion in here. However my opinion is a little bit different that Slimm's. I usually agree with Slimm and value his opinion and research. I agree that Austin's value is higher than that of Swope's. However, I don't value him so high as to take him at 12 over taking Swope in the 2nd round. I don't believe that the difference that Austin will make at the next level is worth that much. Let me explain why.......

Here are Tayvon Austin's stats against 3 notable regular season games and the bowl game.
Team / Catches / Yards / AVG / Long / TD
Kansas State / 6 / 34 / 5.7 / 11 / 0
Texas / 10 / 102 / 10.2 / 40 / 1
Oklahoma / 4 / 82 / 20.5 / 41 / 0
Syracuse (bowl) / 4 / 30 / 7.5 / 13 / 0
Total / 24 / 248 / 10.3 / 41 / 1

Here are Austin's receiving stats against the rest of his competition: 90 Catches for 1041 yards with an AVG of 11.5 per catch. A long of 52 and 10 TD's. Those stats seem great. But they are against the following teams. James Madison, Marshall, Maryland, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Okla St., Iowa St., Kansas. Lots of garbage teams in there. His best games were against James Madision, Maryland, and Baylor. Now lets look at Swope.

Team / Catches / Yards / Avg / Long / TD
Florida* / 5 / 16 / 3.2 / 10 / 0
LSU / 10 / 81 / 8.1 / 27 / 0
Alabama / 11 / 111 / 10.1 / 42 / 1
Oklahoma(bowl) / 8 / 104 / 13 / 33 / 1
Total / 34 / 312 / 9.17 / 42 / 2

*Just some info. Florida was the first game of the season for Texas A&M. Swope was working with a new QB and they really hadn't developed their chemistry until 4 or 5 games into the season. Most people and analysts will agree with that and spoke about that on many occasions.

Here are Swope's stats against the rest of his competition. 38 catches for 601 yards averaging 15.8 yards per catch. Long of 80 and 6 TD's. Obviously not as good as Austin in the other games. But here is the competition that Swope faced. SMU, S Carolina St., Arkansas, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi St., Sam Houston St., Missouri. Overall Swope faced tougher defenses. Texas A&M played against 6 ranked teams while W. Va played against only 4 ranked teams.

Now that all that has been said, here is my opinion on whether I would go with Austin in the 1st and a CB/DE later or CB/DE 1st and Swope in the 2nd round. I would rather go with getting an Elite CB or DE with my first 2 picks in the draft and then draft Swope with our 2nd pick in the 2nd round. I feel that for our team we would be better off. The increase in play from the CB, DE, and Swope would be greater than the play with Austin, CB, and DE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that maybe Austin looks much faster on film than Swope because of the weak defenses he played against in the Big 12. Maybe Swope's game speed at the college level is closer to the game speed he'll have at the NFL level due to the fact that he played in the SEC against some of the fastest and best defenses in the country. Those defenses make fast guys elsewhere look not so fast. I've read a lot about what people have said and respect everyone's opinion in here. However my opinion is a little bit different that Slimm's. I usually agree with Slimm and value his opinion and research. I agree that Austin's value is higher than that of Swope's. However, I don't value him so high as to take him at 12 over taking Swope in the 2nd round. I don't believe that the difference that Austin will make at the next level is worth that much. Let me explain why.......

Here are Tayvon Austin's stats against 3 notable regular season games and the bowl game.

Team Catches Yards AVG Long TD
Kansas State 6 34 5.7 11 0
Texas 10 102 10.2 40 1
Oklahoma 4 82 20.5 41 0
Syracuse (bowl) 4 30 7.5 13 0
Total 24 248 10.3 41 1

Here are Austin's receiving stats against the rest of his competition: 90 Catches for 1041 yards with an AVG of 11.5 per catch. A long of 52 and 10 TD's. Those stats seem great. But they are against the following teams. James Madison, Marshall, Maryland, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Okla St., Iowa St., Kansas. Lots of garbage teams in there. His best games were against James Madision, Maryland, and Baylor. Now lets look at Swope.

Team Catches Yards Avg Long TD
Florida* 5 16 3.2 10 0
LSU 10 81 8.1 27 0
Alabama 11 111 10.1 42 1
Oklahoma(bowl) 8 104 13 33 1
Total 34 312 9.17 42 2

*Just some info. Florida was the first game of the season for Texas A&M. Swope was working with a new QB and they really hadn't developed their chemistry until 4 or 5 games into the season. Most people and analysts will agree with that and spoke about that on many occasions.

Here are Swope's stats against the rest of his competition. 38 catches for 601 yards averaging 15.8 yards per catch. Long of 80 and 6 TD's. Obviously not as good as Austin in the other games. But here is the competition that Swope faced. SMU, S Carolina St., Arkansas, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi St., Sam Houston St., Missouri. Overall Swope faced tougher defenses. Texas A&M played against 6 ranked teams while W. Va played against only 4 ranked teams.

Now that all that has been said, here is my opinion on whether I would go with Austin in the 1st and a CB/DE later or CB/DE 1st and Swope in the 2nd round. I would rather go with getting an Elite CB or DE with my first 2 picks in the draft and then draft Swope with our 2nd pick in the 2nd round. I feel that for our team we would be better off. The increase in play from the CB, DE, and Swope would be greater than the play with Austin, CB, and DE.

Swope was matched up against a walk-on safety in man coverage against Alabama. Vinny Sunseri has no shot at covering Swope in the slot. That was a complete mismatch in favor of aTm, and a great coaching job by Sumlin.

In terms of Austin's receiving stats, you have to consider the fact that most of the yards he got were on his own. West Virginia likes to run that little flip-pass to Austin behind the LOS where he has to create everything on his own. It qualifies as receiving yardage because it's considered a forward pass, not a lateral.

Austin also added 200 yards and a touchdown on kickoff returns against Kansas St.

He added another 111 yards on only 3 returns vs. Texas to go along with his 10 catches for 102 yards and a touchdown. He was matched up with Kenny Vacarro in the slot.... who's not exactly Vinny Sunseri.

Austin dominated Oklahoma, adding 344 yards and 2 TD's rushing, with another 146 yards in kickoff returns. He had 572 total yards against Oklahoma on his own.

Swope is a fine player, but 80% of what Tavon Austin has accomplished, and more importantly how he accomplished it was nowhere in your observation.

The thing about it is that we don't need that. It would be a fine thing to have I agree. I just feel that we have a need elsewhere. We don't need a return man. We have thigpen. We don't need him on the running plays. We have miller. Plus those WR runs don't work so well in the NFL. We need a shutdown corner. We need double digit sacks opposite wake. We need int's. Austin doesn't give us that. Like I mentioned. The difference between them isnt as big as the difference between the other picks we need.

Back
Top Bottom