Am I the only Dolfan who thinks Ronnie Brown just isnt that good? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only Dolfan who thinks Ronnie Brown just isnt that good?

Ronnie is a beast and he would be doing better if he didn't have to share so many carries he would be better but its better they share cause it good to mix it up

Ronnie Brown 214 car 916 yards 10 tds 4.3 avg and started 13 games but was healthy all 16

Ricky Williams 160 car 659 yards 4 tds 4.1 avg started 3 of the 16 also healthy

Patrick Cobbs 12 car 88 yards 1 td 7.3 avg

plus all other carries fb, wr Ronnie really got 50% actually less Dolphins had 448 carries and Brown almost managed to get 1,000 yards and was also a huge asset on the receiving side as well as Ricky and Cobbs were too

Consistent? Hardly. He played 7 games when we went 1-15....not consistent. Look Ronnie has done well with what he has been given over the years. But last season to me should have been the year. I think that next season is going to be very crucial for him. I think he needs to take control of the #1 spot and become what a #2 overall RB taken should be. Not a big Reggie Bush. Because honestly thats what he is. He can catch which is great to have and runs the wildcat. His speed isnt terrible either.

The potential is there and I guess thats why it bugs me to see him not take over and become the player he could be. I just think he may be to fragil to ever be anything more than a wildcat running, 13 carry a game RB. But what happens if they get someone who can throw and pass like a Pat White to run the wildcat? Then we have a RB who dosent carry more than 13 times and paying him like an elite? I think this season is going to be crucial for him to prove that he deserves the job. Remember Parcells almost got rid of him last season.

There's not a RB in the league that carries their team (Maybe Turner, maybe). AP splits carries, LT when he was real good still split carries, Ten,Pitt,NYG,Balt,Den,TB,Car all real good run teams split carries. It only makes the most sense to not pound your RB to death and then have nothing left for the playoffs. Don't you remember why Ricky left in the first place, remember our 200 yard rusher that was shot before the next playoff game in L.Smith.

Ronnie will continue to play well as long as the Oline gets better play. I like Ronnie but I'm the first guy in line to say you do not give RB's that huge next contract because they can never fully earn it. RB's break down at a higher rate then any other position and if Ronnie wants a 50 mil type deal next year you just can't do it. Look at LT, CD, SA, EJ, LJ etc.... yes there's always the exception to the rule(Clinton Portis but he still gets hurt alot) but that's rare.

So if you can trade him for excellent value then I would do it, but saying Ronnie is mediocre at best is a joke. Is he AP no but who else is? Ronnie's great for our offense and splitting with Ricky and Cobbs is the best way to play them.

Which means he'll last longer if he's not getting the 300 carries that guys like LT and AP get

How can you say Ronnie would have all these numbers if he werent splitting carries? He has gotten hurt every season BUT last year. He cannot hold a full time job. He never has and never will. He didnt even in college. I just think if you take someone #2 overall he should at least be able to get through a full season as the #1 guy getting 20-24 carries a game without getting hurt. And he has never done that. As a pure RB nothing more Ronnie isnt that good. The Line is fine and much better than most think. He is injury prone and for the money we spent on him and who we passed on to get him what has he really done? Ricky Williams came back into the NFL and took carries from him. That dosent speak well to me. His one good season was only 7 games (which he was beasting I will admit). But facts are he gets hurt and will never be a guy who you can rely on for a full season. To me thats what you look for in a RB taken #2 overall. And he has not lived up to it. Good RB? Yes Elite/Great/top 10? No.

Oh and I had the sig because thats all the Miami sigs I can find, they all have Ronnie in them. I didnt change it because of this post I was looking to do it anyway.

Who did we pass up? cedric benson? pacman jones? Caddy williams? troy williamson? Braylon "drop pro" edwards? tell me who we passed up to take RB?

Reactions: wyo
Again Ronnie has been hurt every year expect last season (which I think he was hurt at one point but played through it) Fred Taylor has been in the NFL for what 11 years? Comparing Ronnie Brown to him is dumb. Ronnie has played one full season in 4 years. That means he has been hurt...a lot.
yep, quite a bit. again, about as much as Taylor. So why do you consider the comparison "dumb" ? Taylors first four seasons he played 15,10,13, and 2 games respectively. So if you want to compare Ronnie to Taylor fairly, then Ronnie has actually been hurt far LESS than Taylor.
Im not sure what point you are trying to make about Ronnie playing 1 full season in 4 years. Taylor has played a grand total of 2 full seasons in his 11 years....much worse than Ronnie. So, are you TRYING to agree with me, or did it just come out that way?

I think the problem lies within the O-Line play, which this year should be rectified. If he goes another year sub-1000 yards, my opinion of him will take a major hit. I think he is smart, tough and a good locker room presence. But like many of our players he has gone through several coaching changes, and i think that adversely affects production. I think this is his year to shine. Hope springs eternal right?

First they came for the Quarterback,

And i did not speak out..

Because i was not a Quarterback.

Then they came for the Coaches,

Because I was not a Coach.

Then they came for the Defense,

Because I was a Running Back.

Then they came for me..

And there was no-one left,

To speak out for me.

~buZDouBT, 2009

Cut the guy some slack. He's versatile and having Rick running along side with a new o-line should present difficulty for defenses.. If he splits carries and it keeps him healthy then props to that! We don't need another Clinton Portis on our hands... :up:

Ronnie eanred my respect last season.. my problem with him prior to that has always been his mediocre field vision.. i used to cringe everytime he would cut back into a pile of defenders when continuing his current path or a different cut led to open field.. that USED to drive me crazy.. he was a beast last season though..l he doesnt aviod contact, he relishes it... good player.. not great.. but with the right O-Line.. who knows

There was a time when people would argue if RB was a probowl back. Arguement over. He is one of the best. Many think so. Ronnie Brown Pro Bowl Running Back.

On the GameFaqs forum I am one of about 6-7 Dolphin fans and all are normal Miami fans for the most part. But they all love Ronnie Brown. I for one think he is mediocre at best. Sure he has good games but never a good full season. His only full season in his career came when he was splitting carries this season (and he only started 13 games). I think for what we spent on the guy and where we drafted him he is starting to wear thin on me. I mean he is hurt 90% of the time and if you took away the Wildcat what would he have been like this past season? Im guessing not great.

So im wondering if anyone here thinks that this should be his last chance to be a full time starter in Miami this season and if you agree or disagree and why?

*Please dont kill me for bashing Ronnie I know most Miami fans love him*

I couldn't get past "he is hurt 90% of the time." C'mon man, be fair.

Consistent? Hardly. He played 7 games when we went 1-15....not consistent. Look Ronnie has done well with what he has been given over the years. But last season to me should have been the year. I think that next season is going to be very crucial for him. I think he needs to take control of the #1 spot and become what a #2 overall RB taken should be. Not a big Reggie Bush. Because honestly thats what he is. He can catch which is great to have and runs the wildcat. His speed isnt terrible either.

The potential is there and I guess thats why it bugs me to see him not take over and become the player he could be. I just think he may be to fragil to ever be anything more than a wildcat running, 13 carry a game RB. But what happens if they get someone who can throw and pass like a Pat White to run the wildcat? Then we have a RB who dosent carry more than 13 times and paying him like an elite? I think this season is going to be crucial for him to prove that he deserves the job. Remember Parcells almost got rid of him last season.

Did you see what he did that year he busted his *** off that year and it would of been the best year of his career and he also was the league leader well almost in receptions and yards well im sure at that point he was 1st for all runningbacks

Back
Top Bottom