Am I the only one the doesn't really want McClain? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only one the doesn't really want McClain?

SRM

Scout Team
Reaction score
I know I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this. But hear me out. I think McClain is a really good player, and you won't find him messing up much at all.

But when I see a stud linebacker, one that separates himself from just the good linebackers, I see one that is fast, that hits hard, has an amazing motor, and one that runningbacks avoid because they don't want any part of them. Do you guys see that in Rolando? I don't. I see someone that does what they have to do, but doesn't necessarily strike fear in the opponent's heart. That is what being a linebacker is all about. Being that insane bull that just happens to be in a human body.

I see this vicious mentality in Spikes, Weatherspoon, and Johnson. But I don't see it in McClain. I won't be upset or anything if we get McClain, but I just know that we probably wouldn't get anything like a Ray Lewis, Vilma, Beason, etc type of linebacker out of him.

Let's put it this way. I want a Vontae Davis at ILB, not a Will Allen. They're roughly the same size, except one hits like a truck, has an incredible motor, and has the athleticism to play against anyone.

Anyone see where I'm coming from on this?

(Also, all I've had to go by on judging McClain is from the draft videos that CK and others dissect his play on, so I may be wrong on how he approaches the game.)

I know I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this. But hear me out. I think McClain is a really good player, and you won't find him messing up much at all.

But when I see a stud linebacker, one that separates himself from just the good linebackers, I see one that is fast, that hits hard, has an amazing motor, and one that runningbacks avoid because they don't want any part of them. Do you guys see that in Rolando? I don't. I see someone that does what they have to do, but doesn't necessarily strike fear in the opponent's heart. That is what being a linebacker is all about. Being that insane bull that just happens to be in a human body.

I see this vicious mentality in Spikes, Weatherspoon, and Johnson. But I don't see it in McClain. I won't be upset or anything if we get McClain, but I just know that we probably wouldn't get anything like a Ray Lewis, Vilma, Beason, etc type of linebacker out of him.

Let's put it this way. I want a Vontae Davis at ILB, not a Will Allen. They're roughly the same size, except one hits like a truck, has an incredible motor, and has the athleticism to play against anyone.

Anyone see where I'm coming from on this?

(Also, all I've had to go by on judging McClain is from the draft videos that CK and others dissect his play on, so I may be wrong on how he approaches the game.)

Alabama as a team was 2nd in all of FBS in run defense, and Rolando McClain led Alabama in tackles. McClain also improved every year that he was at Alabama, which is what you want to see when you draft a player, him reaching his potential over time.

And if you're trying to say in that entire post is that you don't see the "viciousness" in McClain, you are completely wrong. As a Gator fan, I've gotten to watch A LOT of his games at Alabama over the years, and the guy is in attack mode on every play. He is a top 10 talent, hell the best ILB prospect since Patrick Willis came out. We would be absolutely lucky to get McClain on this team.

I understand you have your opinion, but you didn't really use anything to back it up. No numbers, no videos, no real true reasoning, just false bias'.

You aren't alone in the people who don't want McClain, but that doesn't make it right. McClain dominated the SEC this year, and his game easily translates to the NFL level. Probably the safest pick in this entire draft outside of Suh and Berry (and Okung).

Alabama as a team was 2nd in all of FBS in run defense, and Rolando McClain led Alabama in tackles. McClain also improved every year that he was at Alabama, which is what you want to see when you draft a player, him reaching his potential over time.

And if you're trying to say in that entire post is that you don't see the "viciousness" in McClain, you are completely wrong. As a Gator fan, I've gotten to watch A LOT of his games at Alabama over the years, and the guy is in attack mode on every play. He is a top 10 talent, hell the best ILB prospect since Patrick Willis came out. We would be absolutely lucky to get McClain on this team.

I understand you have your opinion, but you didn't really use anything to back it up. No numbers, no videos, no real true reasoning, just false bias'.

You aren't alone in the people who don't want McClain, but that doesn't make it right. McClain dominated the SEC this year, and his game easily translates to the NFL level. Probably the safest pick in this entire draft outside of Suh and Berry (and Okung).

Well could you provide something for me to watch that shows that he has this viciousness? I didn't really see it in that Universal Draft video. I'm not doubting you, I just want to see it for myself. I'll go watch it again as a matter of fact.

But if I remember, all I really saw him do was just wrap people up and try to use his weight to bring them down, I didn't really see him out there on the prowl, ready to knock someone's head off.

This is all just about a preference of mine, I think he's an incredible player, but that viciousness is just something I love to see in defensive players.

http://ballhype.com/video/2009-rolando-mcclain-highlight-mp4/

Hard to find video's on him, but his build, numbers, and his influence on the rest of the Alabama Crimson Tide defense since he was a freshman speaks volumes.

Hm, that does help a bit thanks. But I think I found the problem I'm talking about, it seems like he is tackling way too high most of the time. I'm not sure how often he'll get away with that in the NFL, although he is a really big dude.

if you're looking for "viciousness" why do you have a pic of sean i avoid contact at all cost smith as your sig???

i think tedslimm coined rolando mcclain when he said mcclain's not patrick willis he's not ray lewis he's in the mold of a brian urlacher...

and i think that more than works for me considering what we've been sending out there at ilb since zach thomas left...

as far as speed rolando mcclain for a 6 ft 4 258 lb linebacker has plenty of speed and something so many of you guys fail to recognize...zach thomas like instincts and intelligence at the position...his instincts are really off the charts...absolutely vital for an impact ilb...

and the man can cover and understands coverage and run responsibilities with the best of them...

if you're looking for "viciousness" why do you have a pic of sean i avoid contact at all cost smith as your sig???

i think tedslimm coined rolando mcclain when he said mcclain's not patrick willis he's not ray lewis he's in the mold of a brian urlacher...

and i think that more than works for me considering what we've been sending out there at ilb since zach thomas left...

as far as speed rolando mcclain for a 6 ft 4 258 lb linebacker has plenty of speed and something so many of you guys fail to recognize...zach thomas like instincts and intelligence at the position...his instincts are really off the charts...absolutely vital for an impact ilb...

and the man can cover and understands coverage and run responsibilities with the best of them...

He's not in the mold of Brian Urlacher anymore than he is Ray Lewis. He lacks the hitting power and aggressive play that Lewis bring to the table just like he lacks the speed and agility that Urlacher does. McClain has only shown that he's a big solid LB.

Hm well that makes a lot of sense to me. I wouldn't mind having someone in the mold of Urlacher :lol:

I guess I'm just getting a tad spoiled with all these prospects, and seeing guys like Willis out there doing what they do. I should be peeing my pants if we end up with someone that can make a tackle, let alone line up our D.

And well, the Vontae avatar kind of negates Sean's pic, doesn't it? :up:

To answer the original question: check my posts. I don't want McClain at #12. If we draft him, I'll hope he excels beyond my expectations, and I'll see him as an upgrade over Ayodele. Beyond that, I see a number of prospects who might or ought be there at 12 that I prefer.

He's not in the mold of Brian Urlacher anymore than he is Ray Lewis. He lacks the hitting power and aggressive play that Lewis bring to the table just like he lacks the speed and agility that Urlacher does. McClain has only shown that he's a big solid LB.

he's also got 15 lbs on both of those guys...probably isn't quite as agile as urlacher but i think you guys understate just how physical a player mcclain can be...

i just think he's gonna do whatever he's got to do to get the job done in the nfl just like he's done at bama...doesn't really engage blockers all that much cause he doesn't have to...moves down the los pretty well and sniffs out plays...

he's better than just a big solid lb...absolutely i'd take him without hesitation at pick #12...after dez bryant

the knocks that i personally have on mcclain are he's not the best blitzing lb but i think he's got upside there...

he doesn't have the highest motor...plays in a more controlled manner...i love a high motor but sometimes a guys lack of top level motor can be mistaken for a lack of talent or effort...and vice versa a guy who has a high motor and is an all out effort player can be overstated from a pure talent stand point...

his ball pursuit especially when the ball is down the field can run hot and cold...

he could play in a more physical manner but this guy isn't soft by any means...and i think if in the pros he needs to play with a bit more physicality he's got all the tools to do so...

but i said before and i'll say it again this guy can REALLY RUN for his size

if his motor picks up as a pro and he decides to hunt on every play LOOK OUT...that's all i can say

either way he'd be a MASSIVE upgrade on anything we have and a qb of our defense...like having a coach in the huddle

he's also got the most upside of any ilb in the draft...bar none

Not fast? he's 6'4", 255 pounds....he's not some 6'1", 240 pound linebacker......

If there's ever a linebacker McClain's size that's faster let me know....I've gotta see that mf'er...

Check out the play where he chased down Jeff Demps in the SEC CG....

He didn't get where he's at by being lazy.....he knows when to chase a play and when it's a waste of time.....and most guys his size know when to conserve energy and you would too....he doesn't come off the field....he HAS to be out there every play getting everyone on the same page...

He already runs in the 4.6 range...which is incredible for a linebacker that size...

40 time is overrated anyway for linebackers....if a middle linebacker is running 40 yards somebody ****ed up anyway.....his initial burst and recognition skills are top notch....he knows whats coming most of the time...

Sean Weatherspoon? Please......he's a good player and I like him as a prospect...but he's no Rolando McClain.....Weatherspoon is constantly caught out of position and that's why he has to chase plays so hard....it was even talked about a bit down at the Senior Bowl despite him having a pretty good week down there overall....not a top 15 pick IMO.....his best fit is a WILL in a 4-3 defense anyway to take advantage of the things that he does do well...

that play where mcclain ran down that burner demps from the center of the field to outside the #'s was SICK

definitely a wow moment for me...

Back
Top Bottom