An Unbiased View of the BCS | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An Unbiased View of the BCS

Philter25

MORE COWBELL!!!
Reaction score
Let me get this out of the way, I am a Penn State alumni. I hate Ohio State and I hate Michigan, (and I also hate Notre Dame but thats another story) nothing would thrill me more than seeing both of them lose in Bowl Games. I am well aware this is a miami dolphins message board which means there are a ton of Florida homers lurking in here which are going to disagree with me and tell me to "stop hating on Florida, shut-up, and just accept it" and all that other BS which people use to defend their team when nothing else makes sense and prevails. Again, to re-iterate, I haaaaaaaaaaaate Michigan and would prefer Florida in the NC game and hope they beat Ohio State.

The BCS is designed to put the top 2 teams in the nation against each other in the NC game. However, I dont understand the BCS at all this year and believe it failed. I feel the human element took over the past weekend and ruined the BCS this year.

Look at the timeline of events:

On Nov 19th, the BCS read Ohio State #1, Michigan #2, USC #3, Florida #4. Ohio State had just beat Michigan by 3 and claimed their spot as the #1 team in the nation. The hoopla in the media was that USC would jump Michigan into the #2 spot if USC beat Notre Dame and that Michigan would stay at #2 if Notre Dame beat USC. The NC game would be USC vs Ohio State if USC beat ND and UCLA. Michigan would be #3 and Florida was a solid #4 playing in a tough SEC. If the HUMAN element believed that Florida and USC were better than Michigan, why did they not jump them here? Michigan just came off a loss and if they are going to be passed, now is the time. Florida has been playing in a tough SEC all year long, not just the last week of the season.

On Nov 26th, the BCS read Ohio State #1, USC #2, Michigan #3, Florida #4. Despite everyone in Michigan rooting for Notre Dame, USC wins and it looks like USC vs. Ohio State in the NC game. Michigan is #3 and Florida is a solid #4 seed STILL playing in the tough SEC. Florida squeaks by Florida State and Arkansas loses to LSU and ends their chances. If the HUMAN element believed Florida was a better team, why not jump them here?

On Dec 3rd, the BCS read Ohio State #1, Florida #2, Michigan #3. It happened, USC lost to UCLA and Michigan fans think they are getting another shot at Ohio State. Everything that needed to fall into place fell into place for Michigan to get another title shot. Florida beat 2-loss Arkansas and won the SEC. However human pollsters decide to jump Florida past idle Michigan..... the only reason I can think is they did not want a rematch.

What I dont understand is if Florida was a better team than Michigan, why did Florida jump Michigan ONLY when USC lost? Florida was playing in the tough SEC ALL YEAR LONG, not just the last week of the season. The only reason is that the human element did not want to see a rematch, even if it meant not having the best 2 teams in the nation play each other.

Take a look back, what would have happened if USC LOST to Notre Dame? Does anyone actually think voters would have jumped Florida over Michigan then? Everyone keeps talking about how Florida plays in such a tough SEC, but what about the Big10? The Big10 has 3 teams in the top 6, not the SEC.

Ive read talk on here about Florida's 10 point loss to Auburn...... I agree with some arguments that it wasnt really a 10 point loss, it was a 3 point loss. People who watch college football are aware of junk points at the end of the game. I'll consider that game a 3 point loss to Auburn.

Michigan lost to the #1 team in the nation by 3 points. Ive read the debate here that it wasnt a 3 point game, the game was never close, etc. I disagree, at the start of the 4th quarter, it was a 4 point game and with 2:00 remaining in the game, it was a 3 point game. Even though OSU was up by 14 at points in the game, Michigan was still in the game and had the chance to win and played Ohio State close.

Comparing the losses, I will give Florida the benefit and consider the loss differential to be 3 for Florida and Michigan, however losing to the best team in the nation is a stronger loss than any other team in the nation by the same margin. Advantage, Michigan.

Michigan I think loses out because they were idle and not playing anyone. If Michigan was in ANY other conference except the Big10 and not behind Ohio State, they are in the national championship game. Rematch aside, if Michigan is the PAC-10 champ and its only loss was to Ohio State, they remain in the NC game.

A few years ago there was a lot of complaints about the computer system. This year, the complaints are on the human element. It seems every year there is a perfectly good reason why the BCS needs to keep evolving to a playoff system.

This year is a perfect example of why college football needs a 4 team playoff system. OSU vs. LSU and Mich vs. UF. The winners settle it in the national championship game. Let the teams DECIDE IT ON THE FIELD, not in the polls or by the computer or human element. The BCS is such a flawed system and it seems every year one team gets the benefit of the system and another team gets the shaft..... this year is no exception.

But hey, for all the talk about how college sports are more pure than pro sports, we all know that the Bowl Games revolve around one thing, money, which is more often than none the root of all problems.

Not going to attack you but...

You failed to mention strength of schedule at all.

Also, idle teams get jumped all the time in college football. Every week of the year. In fact, Michigan got jumped the week before by USC. No one was griping then. Why is this so different?

Crowder52 said:
Not going to attack you but...

You failed to mention strength of schedule at all.

Also, idle teams get jumped all the time in college football. Every week of the year. In fact, Michigan got jumped the week before by USC. No one was griping then. Why is this so different?
BINGO... UF played a #8 team on a neutral field and won soundly. Hence the reason they jumped an idle team with less wins (11-1 vs 12-1). That was the game that put the Gators over the top.

the human element is so important because people complained a few years ago when USC was #1 in both polls and they didn't get into the championship game. so they made it so the polls made a bigger impact. makes sense to me...

I got one for ya, how about UF won their conference, Michgan did not! It is not UF's fault your conference doesnt have a championship game (why not??) and just crowns the best team. How can you sit with a straight face and say a team that didnt even win their own conference should be in the National championship game?? Also, it wasnt just the human voters, the computer had both teams even. Tie breaker could go more wins, or that conference championship, or the fact UF played against teams with a .63something record!!! Also, it was not just the harris poll but also the coaches poll that both had the gators #2, the AP poll even had the gators ahead of Michigan and said they would be even if USC didnt lose! Your still having a bit of big ten homerism over there. I dont see where Michigan has an argument other than to say...there should be a playoff system in place.

Timmy54 said:
I got one for ya, how about UF won their conference, Michgan did not! It is not UF's fault your conference doesnt have a championship game (why not??) and just crowns the best team. How can you sit with a straight face and say a team that didnt even win their own conference should be in the National championship game?? Also, it wasnt just the human voters, the computer had both teams even. Tie breaker could go more wins, or that conference championship, or the fact UF played against teams with a .63something record!!! Also, it was not just the harris poll but also the coaches poll that both had the gators #2, the AP poll even had the gators ahead of Michigan and said they would be even if USC didnt lose! Your still having a bit of big ten homerism over there. I dont see where Michigan has an argument other than to say...there should be a playoff system in place.

Because they only have 11 teams, and need 12 for a championship game.

Stitches said:
Because they only have 11 teams, and need 12 for a championship game.

Well go ahead an admit Nuter Dame into your silly conference, it is not like they dont already play 3 teams a year.

Timmy54 said:
Well go ahead an admit Nuter Dame into your silly conference, it is not like they dont already play 3 teams a year.

Why would ND do that though? They'd probably have to give up thier NBC conract, and they wouldn't get all thier money from whatever bowl game they undeservedly get sent to.

Philter25 said:
On Nov 19th, the BCS read Ohio State #1, Michigan #2, USC #3, Florida #4...
If the HUMAN element believed that Florida and USC were better than Michigan, why did they not jump them here?

That's the point I've been trying to make, but it's lost on everyone here. I don't know what beating Arkansas says about a team that everyone didn't already know two weeks prior.

I had a feeling I was only feeding the homers.

Again, I HATE MICHIGAN. Never did I say that Florida DID NOT belong in the game, my post was more about the flaws in the system.

I didnt talk about strength of schedule because the computers cover it. No need to debate something thats already calculated and is a system that every teams plays with. The problem this year was the human element.

The BCS tweaks the system from year to year. UF FinKat is correct, the human element was a problem years ago and it got tweaked, if you were not a UF fan and were an unbiased fan, you would see how its the problem this year.

Again, the point of my post was not to get into a debate with 1000 UF fans who are going to say anything to justify UF getting into the NC game, it was to critique the BCS and show how this is just another year where all the turmoil and debates would be easily solved with a playoff system....... but ignore that and keep on debating about UF.

kpcane said:
That's the point I've been trying to make, but it's lost on everyone here. I don't know what beating Arkansas says about a team that everyone didn't already know two weeks prior.

Then where was the outburst when USC jumped Michigan after beating ND? It's a double standard that's just convenient for your argument.

kpcane said:

it is just another top 10 team that the gators beat!!! no big deal, really!!:sidelol:

Philter25 said:
I had a feeling I was only feeding the homers.

Again, I HATE MICHIGAN. Never did I say that Florida DID NOT belong in the game, my post was more about the flaws in the system.

I didnt talk about strength of schedule because the computers cover it. No need to debate something thats already calculated and is a system that every teams plays with. The problem this year was the human element.

The BCS tweaks the system from year to year. UF FinKat is correct, the human element was a problem years ago and it got tweaked, if you were not a UF fan and were an unbiased fan, you would see how its the problem this year.

Again, the point of my post was not to get into a debate with 1000 UF fans who are going to say anything to justify UF getting into the NC game, it was to critique the BCS and show how this is just another year where all the turmoil and debates would be easily solved with a playoff system....... but ignore that and keep on debating about UF.

So wait...you're saying something is wrong with the BCS and a playoff should be used? This is revolutionary thinking!

Timmy54 said:
Your still having a bit of big ten homerism over there.
I think you missed the point where I stated I haaaaaaaaate Michigan and I haaaaaaaaaaaate Ohio State and I will be rooting for BOTH of them to lose in their Bowl Games.

Back
Top Bottom