An Unbiased View of the BCS | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An Unbiased View of the BCS

Crowder52 said:
Then where was the outburst when USC jumped Michigan after beating ND? It's a double standard that's just convenient for your argument.

That's a good point.

The only answer I have for that is people really didn't know much USC because they didn't have any solid wins. Florida's best wins were behind them (which I don't consider a negative - that's why I thought they should have been higher).

Stitches said:
Because they only have 11 teams, and need 12 for a championship game.
Either add one or drop one. Either have a championship game, or play every team in your conference.
The current Big Ten system is absurd.

Thanks for taking the time Philter, but that story can be spun any way you want it to turn out. I'm sure I can find a Tennesse fan who hates UF every bit as much as you hate OSU and UM, and he'd find an argument every bit as convincing for UF.

In the end, a playoff is so obvious it's getting tiresome. But, it's so obvious because it's so true.

*sigh* I have been defeated. Pointless thread. Mods, feel free to close.

Good luck UF.

I hope next year you are on the bad end of the crock that is the BCS. I'm sure you will be singing a different tune and hopefully you can look at it objectively and see whats wrong with it.

finswin56 said:
Either add one or drop one. Either have a championship game, or play every team in your conference.
The current Big Ten system is absurd.

Thanks for taking the time Philter, but that story can be spun any way you want it to turn out. I'm sure I can find a Tennesse fan who hates UF every bit as much as you hate OSU and UM, and he'd find an argument every bit as convincing for UF.

In the end, a playoff is so obvious it's getting tiresome. But, it's so obvious because it's so true.

I agree. I think it'd be easier to add one though. I mean Ohio State didn't even have to play the "3rd best" conference team in Wisconsin. Both Penn State and Michigan gave OSU trouble, who's to say Wisconsin wouldn't have won?

Philter25 said:
I had a feeling I was only feeding the homers.

Again, I HATE MICHIGAN. Never did I say that Florida DID NOT belong in the game, my post was more about the flaws in the system.

I didnt talk about strength of schedule because the computers cover it. No need to debate something thats already calculated and is a system that every teams plays with. The problem this year was the human element.

The BCS tweaks the system from year to year. UF FinKat is correct, the human element was a problem years ago and it got tweaked, if you were not a UF fan and were an unbiased fan, you would see how its the problem this year.

Again, the point of my post was not to get into a debate with 1000 UF fans who are going to say anything to justify UF getting into the NC game, it was to critique the BCS and show how this is just another year where all the turmoil and debates would be easily solved with a playoff system....... but ignore that and keep on debating about UF.
No debating for UF here. I appreciate your post, and you expose the flaws well.

IMO, neither UF or UM are clearly #2 or #3.

I still haven't met a single supporter of the BCS during my entire career as a college football fan, at least not since we realized what it was and noticed its shortcomings. My school is going to the BCS Title game and I still think the BCS is a joke. Unless there has been an outcry of praise for the BCS that I missed somewhere...

Stitches said:
I agree. I think it'd be easier to add one though. I mean Ohio State didn't even have to play the "3rd best" conference team in Wisconsin. Both Penn State and Michigan gave OSU trouble, who's to say Wisconsin wouldn't have won?
Tough to make an argument for Wisconsin when they didn't play OSU or any other ranked team.

Stitches said:

You can make the same argument for Florida not playing every team in their conference.... its a flaw in not just the Big10 (11)

Edited because I cant remember UF's schedule off the top of my head.

Philter25 said:
You can make that argument against Florida also..... they didnt play LSU. Who's to say the #4 team in the nation would have beaten Florida?
Florida beat LSU I thought. :confused:

finswin56 said:
No debating for UF here. I appreciate your post, and you expose the flaws well.

IMO, neither UF or UM are clearly #2 or #3.

Gracias. That was what I was getting at.

Philter25 said:
You can make that argument against Florida also..... they didnt play LSU. Who's to say the #4 team in the nation would have beaten Florida?

There are 100+ teams in college football. With only 11-13 games on most schedules, everyone cant play everyone.

Oh my...

There are 5 ranked teams in the SEC. UF is one of them. They played the other 4, going 3-1.

finswin56 said:
Tough to make an argument for Wisconsin when they didn't play OSU or any other ranked team.

No, I'm saying OSU may have lost to Wisconsin, not that they are deserving of thier rank. I mean who knows, when they never played, Wisconsin may have destroyed them. I mean, Illinois almost beat OSU for crying out loud. It is absurd to think about how the Big Ten is handled games-wise.

Stitches said:
Florida beat LSU I thought. :confused:
Yea I edited it as soon as I posted it....... I forgot they beat LSU earlier in the year and I now cant remember what teams in the SEC they didnt play.....

Crowder52 said:
Oh my...

There are 5 ranked teams in the SEC. UF is one of them. They played the other 4, going 3-1.
See above. You guys are fast. The team was wrong but the argument stays the same. You can make that argument for more conferences other than the Big10 that they dont play every team in their conference every year which was the point. My not following Florida's every game earlier in the year shows....

Philter25 said:
Yea I edited it as soon as I posted it....... I forgot they beat LSU earlier in the year and I now cant remember what teams in the SEC they didnt play.....

Want to know the only 2 teams in the conference UF didn't play?

Mississippi (4-8) and Miss. State (3-9), the two worst teams in the conference.

Back
Top Bottom