An Unbiased View of the BCS | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An Unbiased View of the BCS

Philter25 said:
You can make the same argument for Florida not playing every team in their conference.... its a flaw in not just the Big10 (11)

Edited because I cant remember UF's schedule off the top of my head.

Where the SEC gets it right is that the east and west best teams play in the championship game!!! So no matter what there is a clear champ!

Stitches said:
Yea, they played West Carolina instead. :sidelol:

Still a tougher schedule than Michigan or Ohio State IMO though.

Western Carolina was a late add on when the 12th game was made ok last year. The only open week that would work was between the south carolina game and the florida state road game. Urban felt like he wanted to be at home cause the team already had their hard road trip schedule, so the offer was made for a bunch of teams to come into the swamp. they tried to get some bigger names but the schedule didnt allow. lets see how the schedule works in the next few years.

Philter25 said:
*sigh* I have been defeated. Pointless thread. Mods, feel free to close.

Good luck UF.

I hope next year you are on the bad end of the crock that is the BCS. I'm sure you will be singing a different tune and hopefully you can look at it objectively and see whats wrong with it.

I support you man!! You made some great points. I'm not really sure who deserves to play in the NC game more, UF or Mich. But I do know that it sucks that decision sometimes comes down to people's perception of a team, conference, etc. Also, it's absolutely ridiculous how timing affects rankings as well. If OSU vs Mich was the first game of the season, we would probably be seeing a rematch. But because it was the last game of the season for them, the pollsters don't want to see a rematch. That's BS.

That was pretty interesting how you pointed out that UF jumped Mich when USC lost. I know they played a game and won, but you are correct, if the pollsters though UF was the better team, the previous week's rankings should have been 1.OSU, 2.USC, 3.UF, 4.Mich.

NJPHIN34 said:
I support you man!! You made some great points. I'm not really sure who deserves to play in the NC game more, UF or Mich. But I do know that it sucks that decision sometimes comes down to people's perception of a team, conference, etc. Also, it's absolutely ridiculous how timing affects rankings as well. If OSU vs Mich was the first game of the season, we would probably be seeing a rematch. But because it was the last game of the season for them, the pollsters don't want to see a rematch. That's BS.

That was pretty interesting how you pointed out that UF jumped Mich when USC lost. I know they played a game and won, but you are correct, if the pollsters though UF was the better team, the previous week's rankings should have been 1.OSU, 2.USC, 3.UF, 4.Mich.

USC jumped Michigan the week before when they played Notre Dame. No one said a word then...

that is what gets me, no one bitched about usc jumping michigan, michigan lost to ohio state and they were done with their season

but when florida jumps michigan after USC loses it is an outrage

i mean while michigan has had a break for 2 weeks the gators were playing the # 8 team in the nation

idle teams get jumped all the time, and this is no different

who says michigan is the 2nd best team in the nation, when where they crowned that?

who is to say florida isnt better than michigan

NJPHIN34 said:

:up: I cut and pasted my original text from a post I made on another board. The convo actually went pretty well and was very objective...... I thought I would be risky and try it here but the Florida fans are eating everything alive and turning every thread into a "#2 vs #3" debate.

Crowder52 said:
USC jumped Michigan the week before when they played Notre Dame. No one said a word then...
I did. I just didnt make a long post about it here. Michigan spanks Notre Dame earlier in the year..... Michigan loses to Ohio State, no one jumps them, Michigan is #2, USC beats the same ND team that Michigan spanked earlier in the season and the pollsters decide to jump them. Ridiculous.

Timmy54 said:
Where the SEC gets it right is that the east and west best teams play in the championship game!!! So no matter what there is a clear champ!

I thought we clarified this earlier..... :deadhorse:

Timmy54 said:
I got one for ya, how about UF won their conference, Michgan did not! It is not UF's fault your conference doesnt have a championship game (why not??) and just crowns the best team.

Stitches said:
Because they only have 11 teams, and need 12 for a championship game.

Philter25 said:
Yup, and as said before, with only 11 teams in the Big10, they cant have a championship game. Their system is flawed also. They can have co-Big10 champs each year if 2 teams end up with the same record. Just another flaw to add to the list.

And as I said before in my original post:

Philter25 said:
Michigan I think loses out because they were idle and not playing anyone. If Michigan was in ANY other conference except the Big10 and not behind Ohio State, they are in the national championship game. Rematch aside, if Michigan is the PAC-10 champ and its only loss was to Ohio State, they remain in the NC game.

Based on how the pollsters voted, they pretty much did not want to see an all Big10 championship game no matter what. Whoever was a 1 loss team behind Michigan was jumping Michigan no matter what. That was evident to the fact that no team jumped Michigan AFTER they lost to Ohio State (when they SHOULD have been jumped) and Michigan was jumped the FOLLOWING consecutive weeks by the next highest ranked 1-loss team.

Whos to say Florida isnt the second best team in the nation? Or is USC? Or even Louisville? How about undefeated Boise State? Thats not the debate here. The debate is the process to which we arrived at Ohio State vs. Florida. This year is just another shining example of how the BCS needs to be tweaked.......again.

who cares when they were jumped? that's so irrelevant. michigan finished their schedule, and UF and USC still hadn't finished theirs, so their rankings 3 weeks ago weren't based on a complete schedule.

UF Fin Kat said:
who cares when they were jumped? that's so irrelevant. michigan finished their schedule, and UF and USC still hadn't finished theirs, so their rankings 3 weeks ago weren't based on a complete schedule.

All the more reason to not have pre-season rankings, and to wait until like week 5 or so, because you are basing things on unfinished and untested schedules.

UF Fin Kat said:

Timing is everything in college football. Take off your Florida glasses and look when they were jumped. You are correct on the complete schedule, however the problem doesnt lie within the COMPUTERS, who calculate all the scheduling, it lies in the human element. After Florida played their complete schedule, the computers didnt vault them ahead......

This isnt a debate about Florida not deserving a shot. They won one of the hardest conferences, they deserve a shot, the point is HOW they got there.

If Michigan lost to OSU earlier in the season and pounded Notre Dame the last game of the season, do you think Florida would be in the NC game?

Again, to re-iterate because it seems it needs to be, im not arguing that Florida doesnt deserve to be in the game, I can name a handful of teams that deserve to be there, this is a debate about the process.

as i said before, the human element is what people complained about the most before because it was missing. USC gets left out of the championship game despite being #1 in both polls. people complained that the polls should have more of a factor. so they changed it. it's still a combination of the computers and polls.

besides, the computers figure out all of their calculations and stuff each week, too.

the computers also had them tied, it is not like UM can say it was just the voters.

well, michigan fans know that they'd get owned again in the championship. :lol:

also, are there any michigan fans here?

Back
Top Bottom