An Unbiased View of the BCS | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An Unbiased View of the BCS

Oboy said:
I still think LSU, and Tennessee were better wins, but your point is well taken.

I really don't think that part of the equation will ever change. The only way to do it w/o this human aspect is to have a playoff. Which even then, there has to be a way to pick the teams that get into the playoff... :(

Most people don't percieve those as better wins, because neither of those came in the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP game. I do agree that I think LSU was a better win, albeit less convincing.

Oboy said:
I still think LSU, and Tennessee were better wins, but your point is well taken.

I really don't think that part of the equation will ever change. The only way to do it w/o this human aspect is to have a playoff. Which even then, there has to be a way to pick the teams that get into the playoff... :(

It wont change unless we have at least an 8 team playoff and even then there still might be debate as to who the last team in should be. What a playoff system does is it at least minimizes the debate. Most of the disagreement would probably be who is the last team in.... and unfortunately there would still need to be a computer/human factor in it.

The BCS is and will always be a flawed system but what they try to do is minimize the flaws and tweak the system. I think this year is in a step in the right direction to a 4 team playoff with the top 4 teams. We had a similar scenario a few years ago with USC and this year is another one to add to the list.

Crowder52 said:
And the fact that we all know losing earlier in the year is preffered by the voters to losing later in the year supports what you are saying too.

i.e. If Michigan played Ohio St. first game of the year and lost, then won out, they very well could be in the title game right now.
Because of the human aspect, absolutely.

Without the human aspect...it would be a tie for 2nd! What is your point on this thread if not to contest who is in or who is out? You are doing a complete runaround

First of all im a USC fan and have been ragging on UF all year. Here is my reason why they deserve to go.

1.UF are Confernce Champ
2.UF has better win against better teams.
3.UF has more wins
4. Big 10 is top heavy(OSU and Mich then it tanks and Wisc. is not on the level of LSU, Tenn,or Ark.) while the SEC is good througout.
5.. Mich play OSU and lost. There no rematches in NCAAF so pretty much every game is a playoff game. If you lose you can only blame yourself.
6. BCS will never be perfect but it is what we have.
7. Wouldnt be fair to OSU to play Mich again who they have beaten the last 3yrs. Hypothetically what happen if Mich wins against OSU all hell will break loose.

Cuban Dave 9 said:
Without the human aspect...it would be a tie for 2nd! What is your point on this thread if not to contest who is in or who is out? You are doing a complete runaround

You found me out Dave! Im really a closet Michigan fan and I thought I would start another pointless debate about who is #2 and who is #3. Although my degrees say Penn State, I love Michigan. Why? Because even though the NC game is already set in stone, it still makes an impact if we beat it to the death because somewhere, someone in the BCS might read a thread on a miami dolphins internet message board and decide to change the matchup.

{end sarcasm}

Im not doing a runaround, the problem is with all the Florida homers on here, I need to take to the defense of Michigan. Thats how it is in any debate, when you are trying to have an objective conversation and everyone takes one side, you naturally need to defend the other side to make your point.

It also seems that no matter what, you guys need to defend Florida for being #2. Why is that? Is it because a flaw in the system might have given Florida an edge over Michigan for some reason whereas the computers had them ranked even? Is it because there was no clear cut #2 team in the nation and voters got to decide the matchup they wanted?

On one of the other boards that I post at (and discussion at work), this is actually a good objective thread and a few posters have thrown some history about the technical side of the BCS which I was unaware about and learned a few things. That obviously isnt happening here with everyone. Some people have posted great comments and thoughts in this thread, others have taken it upon themselves to defend Florida no matter what and turn this thread into another pointless debate about who deserves to be #2.

Every single year there is always discussion about the current BCS system and what needs to be tweaked. Look how it has evolved. I apologize for trying to have that discussion based on how the BCS played out this year here. Lets just debate who is the better team, ok. You go first.......

Philter25 said:
You found me out Dave! Im really a closet Michigan fan and I thought I would start another pointless debate about who is #2 and who is #3. Although my degrees say Penn State, I love Michigan. Why? Because even though the NC game is already set in stone, it still makes an impact if we beat it to the death because somewhere, someone in the BCS might read a thread on a miami dolphins internet message board and decide to change the matchup.

{end sarcasm}

Im not doing a runaround, the problem is with all the Florida homers on here, I need to take to the defense of Michigan. Thats how it is in any debate, when you are trying to have an objective conversation and everyone takes one side, you naturally need to defend the other side to make your point.

It also seems that no matter what, you guys need to defend Florida for being #2. Why is that? Is it because a flaw in the system might have given Florida an edge over Michigan for some reason whereas the computers had them ranked even? Is it because there was no clear cut #2 team in the nation and voters got to decide the matchup they wanted?

On one of the other boards that I post at (and discussion at work), this is actually a good objective thread and a few posters have thrown some history about the technical side of the BCS which I was unaware about and learned a few things. That obviously isnt happening here with everyone. Some people have posted great comments and thoughts in this thread, others have taken it upon themselves to defend Florida no matter what and turn this thread into another pointless debate about who deserves to be #2.

Every single year there is always discussion about the current BCS system and what needs to be tweaked. Look how it has evolved. I apologize for trying to have that discussion based on how the BCS played out this year here. Lets just debate who is the better team, ok. You go first.......

Boise State is better because they have no losses. :tongue:

I'm sorry, I like your thread.

Back
Top Bottom