Andrew Luck and Nick Foles | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andrew Luck and Nick Foles

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
Are putting on a clinic in this game. Luck is clearly the best QB in the country but Foles has really improved from last year. I wasn't too impressed with Landry Jones today but this upcoming draft has no shortage of QBs. Much better crop of guys than last year IMO.

Andrew Luck
Landry Jones
Nick Foles
Matt Barkley
Kirk Cousins

That's a pretty good group. There are a couple of other underclassman that could make this a very deep group.

Foles started out 17/17 passing on the night. However, I REALLY heart Matt Barkley. Ties a career high of 5 TD's against Syracuse, and they weren't all to Robert Woods. Shared the love with five different players.

I like Barkley, haven't had the chance to watch him this year yet though.

Watching this game, I take Foles over Luck. Arizona has been getting their hands on a few of Luck's passes including 3 near INT's, though Luck has looked fantastic at times. And boy can he ever move and make crisp passes on the move.

Foles has been flawless completing all 17 of his first 17 passes to start the game. And since then he had some very near misses , some that should have been caught including a great "drop pass" with amazing touch (a pass Henne has never made, and can't make) that the receiver should have held in for the TD

Couple that with Foles working with the youngest and most inexperienced offensive line in all of college football. Both of Arizona's offensive Tackles are redshirt freshmen. Arizona can't run the ball wortha lick (only 30 yards rushing here late in the 3rd) as that incredibly young O-line can't open any holes - so it's all Foles.

Luck is getting A LOT more help from his offensive teammates than Foles is with his offensive players

this would be a 16-16 tie right now in the 3rd quarter if Arizona's FG kicker didn't miss 2 field goals from 45 and 35 yards out

Luck's two best weapons were knocked out of the game at the beginning. Don't know about him having more weapons than Foles.

Luck is the best player in the country. Clear 1st pick in the draft.

Barkley could be #2, we'll see.

Foles could be good, has the size with an arm.

I'd like to see Foles under Center though,just to know he can operate under Center. Luck looked like he took his game to another level in the 2nd half,because he clearly outplayed Foles in the 2nd half. I sure would love for us to get Andrew Luck,it won't happen,but hey,i can wish. I'd also like to make Lucks' teammate&friend David DeCastro our new RG,but i don't see that happening either.

Watching this game, I take Foles over Luck. Arizona has been getting their hands on a few of Luck's passes including 3 near INT's, though Luck has looked fantastic at times. And boy can he ever move and make crisp passes on the move.

Foles has been flawless completing all 17 of his first 17 passes to start the game. And since then he had some very near misses , some that should have been caught including a great "drop pass" with amazing touch (a pass Henne has never made, and can't make) that the receiver should have held in for the TD

Couple that with Foles working with the youngest and most inexperienced offensive line in all of college football. Both of Arizona's offensive Tackles are redshirt freshmen. Arizona can't run the ball wortha lick (only 30 yards rushing here late in the 3rd) as that incredibly young O-line can't open any holes - so it's all Foles.

Luck is getting A LOT more help from his offensive teammates than Foles is with his offensive players

this would be a 16-16 tie right now in the 3rd quarter if Arizona's FG kicker didn't miss 2 field goals from 45 and 35 yards out

foles might have had a good game, but he is NOWHERE near andrew lucks level. And as for foles having less weapons... lucks top two weapons were out of the game

foles might have had a good game, but he is NOWHERE near andrew lucks level. And as for foles having less weapons... lucks top two weapons were out of the game

Actually, as you correctly pointed out, the weapons statement is quite the opposite.

Arizona is a spread offense and their ONLY redeeming quality is the depth at WR. Stanford does NOT have depth at WR and their top 2 were knocked out early.

Foles started 17 for 17, then abruptly went 1-7 including a couple of throws that were 20 yards from intended receiver. He seems to not have the same mental breakdowns he did last year, but I think his lack of mobility is gonna get him KILLED at the next level. Foles is Foles-gold. Some team will over-draft him and then watch him sit on the bench till he's out of the league.

Foles has improved from last year. His downfield throws are better this year, and he's progressed to making 2 reads in his progressions. Arizona isn't throwing a barrage of bubble screens like they've been doing the past 2 years.

Foles has played 3 of the best games I've ever seen him play back-to-back-to-back this year.... especially when you consider his offensive tackles are both freshmen.

I'm more comfortable with him as a 2nd/3rd rounder.... but I'd gladly take him in that range if I was a team needing a QB. I think he's got a little potential as a pro.... but he's not franchise caliber.

I agree that Foles has been surprisingly good, a lot better than what I saw in previous years. They're really letting him throw every pass, now.

With how bad Miami is they should be looking at a decision between Matt Barkley and Landry Jones, though. If this staff (meaning the front office) liked Jake Locker, which I believe they did, I believe they might prefer Landry Jones to Matt Barkley. But the big question is whether this front office will remain in place to where it matters what they think.

well, al these thoughts are "ok", but, one thing FOR SURE, an ABSOLUTE CANT MISS is NONE of these theories will happen if ireland and sparano are back next year because HENNE is there boy.

henne is bear hugged to this regime as JAY FIEDLER was to the wanny's. so that being said, there wont be ANY qb taken if they return. they will either take whatever the best o-line player is available at the spot or trade down to get more pics for more o-line.

i just cant believe that at this point, after all the franchise qb's we could have had or could have dealt for, and didnt, that anyone cant see the error in passing on a franchise qb. YOU DONT DO IT!!

if this team is in the top 5 in the draft and they dont draft or trade up for andrew luck [could possibly be the best qb to come along since manning and brady] then we are DOOMED AGAIN FOR ANOTHER 8-10 YEARS!!!

i like barkly to. if for some reason we are not in the top 3-5 and cant pull a trade than barkly better be the pic if he is there.

but if there is a choice between the two, both are in your hands, YOU TAKE LUCK, EVERY TIME!! you go by the tape, the production, the accuracy and the consistancy. luck has it all and has done it for 4 years. he could have come out and gotten big nfl money last year but he stayed in school to help his team get the n/c maybe for this year and finish up his schooling.

what that tells me that luck is ABSOLUTELY CONFIDENT in his abilities as a qb, a year wont mean a thing for him nfl wise and he is a mature, responsable, smart kid with MASSIVE character and a stand up team mate!

and, oh yeah, HE HAS GAME TO!!

this is all peyton manning type stuff, and we need that kind of leadership and skill at the qb position.

cam newton was a MUCH bigger "risk" but carolina said "hell with it, draft the talent, draft what you see on tape" and it is paying dividens right now. could have gone either way, as ANY pic, but it worked out. they could have gone the old "yeah, theres loads of talent their but theres this and maybe that and lets go with a safer choice,"...etc......

like the lottery, if you DONT play, the odds are 100% you wont win. and the finz have chosen NOT TO PLAY for years now, going the safe, blue coller, lunch pail, bargain route.

miami, no matter who the next regime is, better take LUCK over every other qb in this draft, be players not pretenders, draft TALENT and get it done! or, mark my words, as i said both times passing on brees after passing on hasslebeck in his prime, after not taking the trade deal with the rams for trent green and keeping jay feidler, we will be set back another 8-10 years.

arn't you all tired of all that by now?

There's no question to me that Andrew Luck is the top QB in this Draft, the top player in this Draft.

But getting the #1 overall pick in the Draft is as difficult on the flip side of things as coming out the Super Bowl Champions. You have to be the very worst team in the league and that's not easy to do. Even in 2004, Miami was awful. Just completely and totally awful. But they still somehow came out with a victory on Monday Night Football against the defending and future Super Bowl Champions...and ended up with the #2 overall pick.

It's just hard to do. Miami had to be damn near historically bad, damn close to the worst team in NFL history, in order to get that #1 overall pick in 2008.

That to me means we're looking at a Matt Barkley versus a Landry Jones. I know which way I lean on that.

And I'm not going to sit here and assume a guy as short as Barkley, that doesn't have the huge arm...is most definitely a top 5 pick if Miami doesn't take him. You look at him and you have to think he's 6'1" on a good day, and there's some long standing thoughts going round the NFL that you've got to be at least 6'2" and maybe even at least 6'3". I didn't make that up, that's NFL scouting for you.

I like Barkley a lot, I think there are some nits in his game though. I think he has something like 48% accuracy in the 4th quarter, which is something you have to explore if you're taking him. If he's under 6'1" then he's in trouble with NFL scouts. His deep ball usually doesn't have the kind of outside shoulder placement I want to see. I have seen some balls get batted at the line. He's not perfect. Andrew Luck isn't perfect either but he's a lot closer to that perfection, IMO. Luck is Peyton Manning, Barkley is Drew Brees.

But if it's coming down to Matt Barkley versus Landry Jones...as of right now that's an easy one for me. But you just KNOW that by the time this thing is all through people will care a lot less about what Landry Jones has done on the football field (when you watch closely) and more about the physical potential.

There's no question to me that Andrew Luck is the top QB in this Draft, the top player in this Draft.

But getting the #1 overall pick in the Draft is as difficult on the flip side of things as coming out the Super Bowl Champions. You have to be the very worst team in the league and that's not easy to do. Even in 2004, Miami was awful. Just completely and totally awful. But they still somehow came out with a victory on Monday Night Football against the defending and future Super Bowl Champions...and ended up with the #2 overall pick.

It's just hard to do. Miami had to be damn near historically bad, damn close to the worst team in NFL history, in order to get that #1 overall pick in 2008.

That to me means we're looking at a Matt Barkley versus a Landry Jones. I know which way I lean on that.

And I'm not going to sit here and assume a guy as short as Barkley, that doesn't have the huge arm...is most definitely a top 5 pick if Miami doesn't take him. You look at him and you have to think he's 6'1" on a good day, and there's some long standing thoughts going round the NFL that you've got to be at least 6'2" and maybe even at least 6'3". I didn't make that up, that's NFL scouting for you.

I like Barkley a lot, I think there are some nits in his game though. I think he has something like 48% accuracy in the 4th quarter, which is something you have to explore if you're taking him. If he's under 6'1" then he's in trouble with NFL scouts. His deep ball usually doesn't have the kind of outside shoulder placement I want to see. I have seen some balls get batted at the line. He's not perfect. Andrew Luck isn't perfect either but he's a lot closer to that perfection, IMO. Luck is Peyton Manning, Barkley is Drew Brees.

But if it's coming down to Matt Barkley versus Landry Jones...as of right now that's an easy one for me. But you just KNOW that by the time this thing is all through people will care a lot less about what Landry Jones has done on the football field (when you watch closely) and more about the physical potential.

I'd be surprised if Barkley comes in at anything under 6'2", probably right there with guys like Aaron Rodgers, Mark Sanchez, etc. I think he's got a better arm than people realize, it's bigger than Luck's arm.

I disagree with his outside shoulder placement of the deep ball also... I see him do it plenty. It's actually Luck's deep ball that needs more improvement than Barkley's.

Not sure where the 48% figure came from, but he's completing almost 60% of his passes in the 4th quarter so far this season (58.8%).

Barkley won't get out of the top 5.... The only way I don't see him going #2 overall is if a team that already has a young QB on their roster and needs an offensive lineman decides to take Matt Kalil or a DE like Coples.

I've never heard that about Barkley before and I agree he has a stronger arm than Luck. The gap between Luck and Barkley however is pretty big IMO. Luck is by far the better all around QB. Luck is the #1 overall pick no question. I'd be surprised if Barkley doesn't go top 5.

Foles looks much improved from last year from what I've seen. Actually surprisingly so.

Cousins also looks improved from last year.

I like the way this upcoming draft is shaping up for QBs better than last year.

Back
Top Bottom